OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2022 8:18 pm  #1

Desperately need advice...

Ok, so my wife & I have been together for 30 years, married for 25. We have 2 boys, one graduated, & one still in high school. We are both products of conservative Christian backgrounds. We unquestionably love each other. There is no doubt of that. That said, she (my wife) came out to me as SSA a decade ago, but at that time, insisted she was still attracted to me & wanted to remain married. She has never been with a woman & has never been unfaithful, even to this day. I believed we had negotiated her SSA well, & grown together across the intervening years, but in July 2021, she disclosed that she was not sexually attracted to me, had compartmentalized her SSA for the last decade & disassociated during intimacy, & now wanted to figure herself out. She also no longer believed that SSA was sinful, but a blessing from God. We've been in marriage counseling ever since & have worked really hard on communication & emotional connection. There has been progress, but more than a year later, I am SUFFERING from the imposed celibacy & limbo status of our relationship. Moreover, even small displays of affection from me (a kiss, a hug, etc.) "too frequently" leave her reflexively tensing up--which she tearfully asserts she doesn't want to do--feeling guilt & shame, & then feeling like a "bad person." I adore this woman: she is the absolute love of my life, my dearest, sweetest friend, & the beautiful mother of my children. I truly believe God brought us together for life. I just don't know how to meet BOTH our emotional & physical needs in a way that will fully honor our vows & beliefs. I have sought so much help & guidance, but I feel now that we are approaching a crisis point. I need help. Please.

August 15, 2022 9:49 pm  #2

Re: Desperately need advice...

SameDeepWaterAsPhil wrote:

Welcome to our Forum Deepwater
There are many different people here, from many countries with all kinds of situations to process and work through. It's one of the hardest things to have happen and this Forum is the only place I've found where I'm totally understood and able to understand what the straightspouse is going through

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 16, 2022 6:19 am  #3

Welcome to our forum. I agree with what Elle said and I think that some people on the forum did respond to her and of course some did not. If you want to send me a private message, I will be glad to listen.

August 16, 2022 6:30 am  #4

Hi SameDeepWaterAsPhil,

I do understand your situation and how hard this is (for both of you). 
Your current situation is very difficult, how you feel resembles a crisis I found myself in years ago. I felt like Job, and that is an accurate description.
You may find it useful to read my story, also what my wife wrote about it from her view. 

https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1931

https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2114

It's quite a lot to read it's impossible to write all that happened and was of importance in one post, so parts of the info is somewhat scattered through the topics. But feel free to ask questions when things aren't clear.

Going on the info in your post, I get the impression you (both) struggled with real "acceptance" of your wife's sexual orientation. Religious reasons seemingly played an important role in that. That's a shame because acceptance is a very important aspect to find your way forward.
At the same time "not-accepting" is a negative factor, actively deepening the problems. So when your wife came to the conclusion that "SSA is not a sin, but a blessing from God", is rather a good thing if that means she is really accepting herself and coming to peace with her sexual orientation. Calling SSA on itself a "blessing" is somewhat far stretched, but it's certainly a blessing she accepts it.

However, "acceptance" is not the same as "acting on it". Having a sexual orientation is no choice, but acting on it certainly is a choice. So this is very different in nature.
This may sound like "you can be it, but not do it", but this is not what I mean. For in the context of a MOM, acting on SSA feelings by definition means adultery. So, the consideration not acting on SSA is motivated by being faithful to the marriage and the biblical meaning of marriage. This distinction is important: It's not about supposed sin of SSA, but it's about adhering to the beauty and importance of marriage.
This way, dealing with SSA is not about a wall between your wife and God, nor a wall between your wife and you, but you choose for a wall around your marriage. Resulting in very different dynamic how you both navigate your way in your MOM. A relation where both can be themselves and where is openness and communication without fear. This is what you hoped to achieve 10 years ago, but which is impossible without real absolute (self)acceptance.

Some time ago I described some aspects how our christian faith played a role for us:

https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=22473#p22473

I hope you find reading about our experience helpful.

Dutchman.

August 17, 2022 5:43 pm  #5

Thank you so much for the helpful reference posts! I appreciate you sharing with me your story. There's a lot for me to process & think through, to be sure. I'll keep watching the board for new comments. Thanks again!

August 18, 2022 5:50 pm  #6

Dutchman,
I want to thank you again for addressing my situation in such open & vulnerable depth with your own story. It is almost too much for me to hope that my situation could possibly turn out as positively as yours. Still, I pray that we can somehow approach it, with God's grace. A question for you, though, that perhaps you'd rather answer in a private message: did your wife ever claim that she was emotionally disconnected from you during the early stage of your marriage "healing" process? If so, how did you repair that breach? My wife has said that a year ago, (when she fully disclosed being lesbian), her connectedness with me was a 2 on a scale of 10. She now feels that after a year of marriage counseling, it is a 4 of 10. She considers that progress. I do, too, but it still seems very low to me after 3 decades together. I realize there's no "one size fits all" solution here, but how did you improve that connectedness enough that your wife was not only emotionally drawn to you, but physically as well? I'm struggling with this so much. Thank you, again!

August 18, 2022 5:56 pm  #7

Thank you, Elle! I'm playing catch up here--it's been a week! I hope you'll feel free to offer whatever advice you may have for us. Thanks, again!

August 18, 2022 8:40 pm  #8

SameDeepWaterAsPhil wrote:

Thank you, Elle! I'm playing catch up here--it's been a week! I hope you'll feel free to offer whatever advice you may have for us. Thanks, again!

This situation plays on every part of a straightspouses life... Emotional, financial, historical, family, children, f'ships. It's a cruel situation for both, both hurt, both lose out.
I've been stuck in it for 5 years so have processed a lot and made decisions. Still together with my partner of 37 years but no longer working on The Relationship. Just surviving.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 19, 2022 8:44 am  #9

Oh, Elle, I'm so very sorry to hear that, unless of course, you've made peace with how things are now. I agree 💯 about how every single aspect of our lives are touched & transformed by the experience of being in a MOM. Honestly, there are times when I feel I've been put into a "closet" of my own. It's not just the hidden life we lead together, it's the sense that my feelings, needs, desires, etc. aren't as important as my wife's during this season of trying to figure herself out & what that means for us. She claims that I should share all of my stuff with her to build emotional connection, but then, I always feel rejected, or defensive, or inferior. I am glad to have this board to see how others have negotiated/are negotiating similar waters.

August 19, 2022 11:05 am  #10

Hi Deepwater, this is a little hard to find the words for but my sense of things is that in a marriage we are creating an emotional cup.  The way you describe your wife shows a depth of loving feelings and yet you are also describing a growing reservoir of intensely hurt feelings.

and this is the emotional crisis you are facing as an individual, within your family situation.

rule number one of crisis times is to give yourself a hug.  Put your arm round yourself, be your own best friend for a while.  Gives you a chance to find your feet.  Best thing you can do for everybody.

Board footera