OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2017 7:22 pm  #1

Legal question /advice

I live in Mass.
Because of a situation beyond my control I have been sharing a bedroom with my boys. It was never a problem before but now she has a issue with it. She says if anyone finds out DSS will come and take our kids. I don't really believe her wish I did but I can't help but think it's a plan by her to make it so my daughter can't come downstairs to sleep on the weekends and vacations because I will be on the couch were she usually sleeps. I wish my trust wasn't so broken with her. But right now I just can't take her word for it. And I want to get ahead of this before she really starts. Thanks for any help in advance.

April 27, 2017 5:55 am  #2

Re: Legal question /advice

Demons halo,

I can't give legal advice but I will say all my exs legal and law enforcement threats were lies..or at least she had some shred of a heart left not follow through.
(But they traumatized me).
  Constantly threatening to have me removed.  Really that was the only way I would leave...  I did not cheat and destroy the marriage..I saw no reason why the living arrangements were my problem. 
I highly recommend a roll up mattress from ikea.(I rolled up their "moshult" mattress everyday). You can sleep anywhere in the house with it. My ex defiled the bed and marriage...I could not sleep in the bed or bedroom with her..she wanted to stay in our bed and bedroom and sext her girlfriend..ok..  but I was not  going to leave the home and kids because of that...I did nothing wrong.  Our gay spouses are not gods that get to dictate where we live or where we sleep.

There is peace and solace not sleeping near them.  You really need to feel safe somewhere in your home. Know that it is not forever..  I felt like a homeless person on my mattress but I reminded myself that living with a gay cheating spouse was not my home.

Last edited by Rob (April 27, 2017 6:05 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 27, 2017 9:13 am  #3

Demons-halo wrote:

I live in Mass.
Because of a situation beyond my control I have been sharing a bedroom with my boys. It was never a problem before but now she has a issue with it. She says if anyone finds out DSS will come and take our kids. I don't really believe her wish I did but I can't help but think it's a plan by her to make it so my daughter can't come downstairs to sleep on the weekends and vacations because I will be on the couch were she usually sleeps. I wish my trust wasn't so broken with her. But right now I just can't take her word for it. And I want to get ahead of this before she really starts. Thanks for any help in advance.

That might be the silliest thing I've ever heard regarding legal threats.  You are more than welcome to sleep in any room of your house.  Clearly you are not abusing your children so there are absolutely zero grounds for anyone to come take your kids.   Call her bluff and tell her to stop being stupid. 

You should plan a few visits to attorneys.  Most will give free or low cost intro sessions where you can ask a bunch of questions.  Start by asking "what not to do".  In other words.. figure out what would be the biggest mistakes you could make.  Two of them are..  threatening, hitting, abusing your wife or kids and moving out of the house.  If you avoid those two things you should be fine.  But there are a lot of other little things to make sure you do correctly.  Start researching divorce law in your state.  Doing this doesn't mean you have to file right now.. you are just getting a very important education. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 27, 2017 9:35 am  #4

I thought it sounded stupid myself and was just another I want my way and my way only now do it and to keep my daughter away. I will start researching in my free time which isn't much now a days.

April 27, 2017 9:37 am  #5

Demons-halo wrote:

I thought it sounded stupid myself and was just another I want my way and my way only now do it and to keep my daughter away. She hates how close me and the kids have gotten since this has started.I will start researching in my free time which isn't much now a days.

April 27, 2017 10:07 am  #6

I don't think there's any law that says parents can't sleep with their children.  Just that they can't touch them inappropriately.  You're doing nothing wrong, and she has no reason to believe you will.

Personally, I'd use this as a starting point for standing up to her.  I'd tell her to go ahead and call the police if that's what she feels like she needs to do.  They are NOT going to do a damned thing about this.  DCFS is overwhelmed as it is.  They don't take kindly to people using them as a personal threat force when they're trying to make sure that children aren't actually being abused in various ways.  What's the worst that could happen - they come in and tell you that they'd prefer you stop sleeping in the same bed with your own children?

I do like the idea of the roll-up mattress, though.  Stops any issues without giving up what she's trying to take from you.  She may have destroyed your heart in this process of hers.  But DON'T let her take anything more from you than herself.  F*CK.THAT.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 27, 2017 11:22 am  #7

I have my own bed we just share the room. I told them once that I was going to have to start sleeping on the couch. Both of my boys looked at me like I had 5 heads. They said I had a bed and it was in the room with them and not to leave. My kids have been awesome and supportive they don't know everything that's going on. But they know mom and dad are having problems. Since mom moved upstairs and took their sister with her even though she would rather be with us. I hate what she is doing to our family and that she doesn't want to see what's actually going on around her.

April 27, 2017 1:52 pm  #8

So she's making a stink about you sleeping in the same ROOM with them???  WTF?  There are millions of people that do that.  It's not a requirement for a child to have their own room.  Oddly, it can be a problem with the visitation if there isn't a dedicated bedroom for the child/children.  But in your current situation, it shouldn't matter in the least.

So,.... with regards to the daughter, is she merely sleeping on the other floor, or are you all effectively living two separate lives on two separate floors?

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 27, 2017 3:18 pm  #9

The wife wants her to sleep upstairs during school nights. On the weekends and during vacations she can sleep downstairs. She hates being up there. Everyone shuts their doors at night and she feels very isolated and alone. As far as living separate lives I don't know. It's this weird place we are in right now. It's hard to put into words. It's like she wants to separate herself from us and what's going on but at the same time she gives the vibe of not wanting to. She Bitches about how she only rents a room upstairs and has no say in anything else.  (she pays shit I pay the rent)
I get so confused and frustrated and it puts me at a serious disadvantage when dealing with her. I want to reach out and help and suggest her coming back downstairs with her family and we would figure something out. But I know it's a caring gesture but she will just get pissed and yell.

Board footera