OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2016 11:10 am  #1

New Here

Hi everyone! I am new here and just looking for other people going through similar experiences. A few days before Thanksgiving my husband told me that he was interested in men. We have been together for 14 years and just celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary in October. We have a 4 year old son and an 18 month old daughter. I was completely blindsided by this. We have been having marriage issues the last couple of years and now I have a little more understanding into any anger on his side. He has told me that he thought he was Bi but now just thinks he is gay (I had no knowledge of any Bi thoughts either). We start counseling next week in order to figure out the next steps with the kids. my head and emotions are going in a thousand directions and I feel like I am on the craziest roller coaster! I can barely concentrate at work and I feel like I just spend my days crying.

December 2, 2016 11:37 am  #2

Re: New Here

Hi Rene,

Sorry that you find yourself with the need to be here, but welcome!  You'll find lots of people here who have compassion, advice and support for you.  It's a great place to come dump your raw feelings and get some answers.

Although it doesn't seem like it, you are fortunate in your husband coming to you to tell you what's going on.  There are a LOT of us here who have ex's who just denied that there were any real problems, only to have us find out later that they've been cheating on us for years.  The fact that your husband has come to you with this information means that he respects you and doesn't just want to use you for his own benefit.  If he hasn't been cheating, then you at least have some confidence that the words coming out of his mouth are likely true.  That's a really good thing.

Of course you feel confused, upset and sick.  That's normal.  This is like a death in many ways - you are mourning the death of the marriage you thought you'd have.  Please be good to yourself - get plenty of rest, eliminate as many other stressors in your life as you can.  Continue to see your friends and family, and talking about what's going on.  Don't try to do this alone.  Think about what YOU need and want too - this shouldn't be all about him because he's suddenly declared that he has different needs than before.

I wish you the best -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 2, 2016 11:52 am  #3

We have been having a lot of open and honest conversations since he told me...some good and some bad. I did find out that he cheated twice both when he was away for business. The first time was years ago (before our son was born) and the second time was about a month ago. He said that he did not have sex either time but he still did cheat...which is an entirely different emotional roller coaster.

December 2, 2016 12:03 pm  #4

Hi Rene,
I second that sentiment, you are fortunate he's being honest.  Hopefully that means he's a decent guy and has decided to the right thing by telling you.  You have 2 small kids, so do I, try to find someone you can confide in and/or a counselor.  Chances are you've devoted all your efforts to your family, it's not all about him right now try to carve out some time for yourself.  
Vicky

December 2, 2016 12:58 pm  #5

Rene,

Cheating is cheating.  He's likely trying to convince you that although there was cheating, there was no actual penetration.  Which honestly, doesn't matter.  And also - brutally honestly - probably isn't the truth.  It's a well-known fact that two gay men have no one to put the brakes on.  Men don't get into the bedroom (with either a man or a woman) just to sit around.  They know why they're there, and they have every intention of fulfilling that desire.  It's likely that he thinks that he can look better to you if he doesn't admit to actual penetration.  But let's face it - if YOU had gone into a bedroom with a man and done all sorts of things, do you think HE wouldn't have thought that was cheating?  I highly doubt it.

If he's admitted to some cheating, there's likely more.  It's possible that he's telling you the truth and the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  But we've seen time and again here that it's usually just the tip of the iceberg that they're allowing you to see.

Please know that he's had years to come to terms with his feelings, so he's going to be much further along in the process than you are.  Please don't buy into the lie that you should be as accepting of what he's done as he is, because that's just not possible after he's known for years how he's felt.  You have every right to be freaking out and angry and upset and sad.  You're NOT overreacting.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

December 2, 2016 5:00 pm  #6

I would like to point out the recurring theme here 'away on business' do these guys all travel for business.  Do they seek out these jobs that afford them the anonymity of being in a new city???  Mine says he never cheated on me but he travelled for business a lot. 
​Vicky

December 2, 2016 9:18 pm  #7

Rene82, 
PLEASE go get testing for every STI! He admitted to cheating, but didn’t exactly define what that is to him. He told you what he didn’t do; but did he tell you what he actually did do?
sometimes it’s what’s not said that is more important…

take care you & your children. we know your pain.

CT

December 3, 2016 5:22 am  #8

I do planning on getting tested asap! The day after he told me I left to go to my sister's house for a week in order to process everything. I felt like I just couldn't think if I was in the house. I got back Sunday night and have been focused this week on therapy...so now i plan on going to my doc to get tested! I makes me so mad/upset that I even have to go and do that!!

As far as the business trips, he actually doesn't travel that often for business but apparently he took of advantage the times he did! this is the craziest ride I have even been on!

December 4, 2016 6:45 pm  #9

Rene, 

Welcome to our sad club.  I'm so sorry you are here.  But you are in the right place.  We can offer you a lot of support and advice and compassion.  Please continue to reach out.  Read a lot about what others have shared from their own experiences.  You will be amazed at how similar so many of our stories are.  

I'm almost 5 months past finding out my life was destroyed.  I was a mess.  I took off work for a couple weeks, went to the Dr. for some anti-depressants and sleeping pills and found mulitple friends, pastors, councilors, etc..  It was not weakness that drove me to these measures.  It was strength.  I knew that I needed help and was brave enough to reach out for it.  Please do the same for yourself.  This is your rainy day.. call in your favors and friends and get support and help. 

I thought at first that my wife was being honest and respectful to me.  Later I found out that she wasn't asking for a divorce just because she was a lesbian and wanted a different future.  The reality was that she had fallen in love with another woman and that was the motivation for her to make the change.  The lying and cheating cut me to the core and I will always have scars from that.  

As Kel said, most likely your husband has done a lot more than he is admitting to you.  Sorry to say it.  I hope we are wrong in your case.. but experience tells us that it's usually the case. 

Thinking of you during this hard time. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

December 5, 2016 1:08 pm  #10

Thanks lostdad...this is definitely a "club" that I never imagined being apart of. My best friends do know what has happened and have been great over the last 2 weeks  but it's hard because we were all friends and they have been thrown into the turbulence now.

I confronted my husband this weekend about him having an affair and it was confirmed. He still claims that he has not had sex because he has been to scared and it's only recently turned physical but I have set up an appointment with my doctor to get tested. This guy is just an added layer in this whole thing that I have to deal with.

Plus, my husband wants to stay in the house through the holidays for the kids (especially our 4 year old) and I am so conflicted by this. I go from being ok with my husband and thinking I can survive another month with him in he house to being so furious! Did you and your ex live together at all after she came out?

Board footera