OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2023 3:44 pm  #11

Re: Why did my closeted ex wife have kids with me?

I'm pretty sure my ex married me, and agreed to have a child with me, because he wanted to be like his older sister, whom he adored.  She had gotten married in the year before we did, and she had a child the year before we had ours.  My ex, a woman wannabe, once told me that he learned everything good about women from her, everything except sex, of course, and that's what I was for.  To teach him how women experience sex.  So he could pretend to be one while having it with me.  

March 22, 2023 6:33 pm  #12

BlueBear - I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head re why a GIDX would do something like marry and have children with a straight person.  I think that what you have described was very much the situation with my husband and me.  I've always thought that he wasn't just gay, but had a personality disorder on top of it.  I have no problem with gay (not for me to be married to, but in general), but I do have a problem with fraud, and I believe in my situation it was fraud and he's just never had much of a conscience about it.  He was also very interested in acting.  I couldn't have said what you have said better.  Yes, they had other options like staying single, in the closet, having "quiet" private relationships as single people, or moving to an accepting location.  My GIDX wanted to look "normal" and he didn't care what it cost anybody else.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

March 26, 2023 10:32 pm  #13

My late GIDXH was looking for someone to financially support him.  It could have been a man or a woman.  It happened to be me he fooled and hooked. He would have been the same personality disordered crazy man if he had hooked a male partner.

Am so glad I never have to see him again.

Edited to add: Most of the spouses I read about here don't seem like prizes.  You've seen their authentic selves in the marriage, except for the gay part.  The new gay partner will see the same in time.

Last edited by MJM017 (March 26, 2023 10:46 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 30, 2023 1:45 am  #14

lily wrote:

I think competitiveness comes into it. 

How so?

March 30, 2023 5:57 pm  #15

self esteem is not based in how you feel about yourself so much as how others do.

When a woman goes into menopause it changes things.  How do men know?  from one moment to the next, you notice the drop in attention when you walk down the street - it must be a subconscious reckoning going on.  It's like I completely disappeared, women will say.  A lesbian in denial I know said she welcomed it it was like she was off the hook.  But for me, I missed the warmth of the attention.  We all take a dip in self esteem.  I'm going to guess that men experience a similar dip when their chemistry reduces in testosterone.

I have this innate sense of responsibility, towards myself and others - I want people to be happy.  It was largely a subconscious reckoning but as a young woman I knew I did not want to fan a flame in the breast of a man I was not interested in, it would not be fair to him.  And I did not want to get pregnant until it was with the right man.  I think this is normal for many of us.  

For me, the idea of competing over men and babies is right off base.  Those subconscious reckonings - for me they are all about love and happiness, not self esteem points.  They are all about finding the right man.  And supporting that all round, not just for me.  

I have a lot to be sad about.

There's an innate sense of responsibility over making babies isn't there.  How could that ever be a source of competition, like a football to fight over.

It's a bit hard for me to put myself into the mind of a lesbian.  but it's different isn't it.  Same sex attraction must put all sorts of stresses on that innate subconscious reckoning.

There's a type of marrying lesbian though, which seems to me to be quite common - they want the best man on the paddock not because they match but because they're competing for him.  No sizzling attraction melting their insides and reducing their ability to speak to a squeak, a sizzling performance, all senses honed to lead him on instead.  And when he is hooked they wear him on their arm like a Gucci handbag they picked up in a sale and the self esteem points come from the admiration he receives from others.  Same for their children.

There seems to be a lot of envy involved for these women.  I think often straight women hide from their attack and they don't receive their support anyway because they'd rather be able to view them with contempt than envy.

It's not a fun-filled life-enhancing friendly competition.  How you navigate parenthood with one of these women, idk.  My heart goes out to all of you.

I think wising up to the behaviours helps enormously.  And taking as many deep breaths as it takes to stay in your sweet spot, quiet, in control of yourself and strong.

My personal perspective is children are resilient, they survive their childhood and I don't care how many mistakes you make, with the love they get from their one solid parent, they will thrive.

Last edited by lily (March 30, 2023 6:03 pm)

April 4, 2023 10:46 am  #16

In the case of my first husband it was to convince himself he wasn't gay, and to just have kids in general.  In the case of a woman it could be either or both of those as well. I know a couple gay women who had one night stands til they got pregnant, and never told the guy. Spectacularly unethical but it happens.

April 16, 2023 1:32 pm  #17

Blue Bear wrote:

I'm convinced that in-denial people who perpetrate this type of hideous fraud have a fundamental personality disorder, usually narcissism with a sprinkling of sociopathy.  At many levels, they are fundamentally uncomfortable with themselves because of family, religious or societal homophobic views.  They are fundamentally uncomfortable with themselves, and they try to fake a heteronormative life.  They are actors on the stage of life, and we are their unwitting co-stars in a play that only they know they are staging.  And unfortunately, not even the best actor can prevent themselves from breaking character on that stage.

They have no excuse for doing this.  They could have chosen many other paths -- staying single, staying in the closet, moving somewhere with more accepting LGBT+ views.  Choosing to perpetrate this kind of fraud requires a massive psychological defect.

I'd say this is pretty accurate and well-said, except that fraud can be perpetrated under all of these three paths anyway, and usually is to get them into such a situation. They were singe once and deceptive to get into the relationship; they may live an an LGBTQ-friendly area and be deceptive; and staying in the closet impacts the deceived partner as well. The one path they could have taken to avoid this is to be honest with those in their lives and realize their orientation, thoughts and actions impact others. 

This forum focuses a lot on straight ex-spouses, but it should be recognized that deep deception starts far earlier. For me, the deception of the person who was the center of my life in childhood and young adulthood obliterated my positivity and hopefulness about marriage by my early 20s. I've never gotten over it. The trauma doesn't have to be linked to being married and having children. It's more fundamentally about massive psychological and emotional deception from the person/people who are foundational to a person's life at any age.

I agree that no one has an excuse for being so inhumane to the person/people they've chosen to place in the very center of their lives, and yet people (society) in general give them the excuse to do this. Why do people in general not care about their inhumanity through life? It doesn't give me a good view of people and what they conclude to be "okay". Yet how much does our society work to reduce domestic violence? Part of the problem is that society doesn't do what it can to say "no, this was wrong to other people and unacceptable, regardless of your "confusion" or fear; your fear is understandable, but your actions are violent". That people don't step up to draw this line allows them to perpetuate and enhance the environment for it.

May 14, 2023 12:12 pm  #18

As someone together for 20+ years with kids, now post-divorce, here's where I have landed:

* Kids - I was used to make a child.
* Finances - I was used to provide.
* Support - I was used to do labor, chores, and on rare occasions, emotional support.
* Comfort - I was used to be an anchor to the past and stable adult holding up her reality.

My ex had multiple cluster B personality disorders, allowing her to have affairs for 15+ years without remorse. She was someone different to whoever was in the room. She enjoyed the deceit.

While I may logically understand the disorders at play, I will never emotionally understand. Some things are unforgivable.

May 14, 2023 4:30 pm  #19

Upside wrote:

My ex had multiple cluster B personality disorders, allowing her to have affairs for 15+ years without remorse. She was someone different to whoever was in the room. She enjoyed the deceit.

Same with my late GIDXH. No logical reason to be in the closet. No homophobia in our area and within his FOO.  He was a chameleon who would show different personas depending on what he could take from you.

My therapist believes he was a psychopath.  It sounds like they're serial killers, but it's more run of the mill. It's usually people who like living on the edge, enjoy the chaos/pain they cause in someone's life and have a parasitic lifestyle. He liked pulling the wool over my eyes.

While I may logically understand the disorders at play, I will never emotionally understand. Some things are unforgivable.

The best outcome for healing is to go no contact or keep them at arm's length if you have kids.  You can never trust someone like that.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

June 5, 2023 8:46 pm  #20

Well said, MJM017.

It sure sounds like our ex's were alike: everyday parasites that feed on deceit. I wake up each day feeling lucky that I survived.

Board footera