OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2022 1:19 pm  #1

Commiseration, and questions about how to healthily process anger.

I’m getting a divorce after being a couple for 8 years and married for one. Largely I’m more relieved than sad.

About three months ago my wife told me that she had been questioning her sexuality for several months. I have been aware that she is no longer attracted to men, and that it’s been the case for most of this year.

We were already working through some marital issues, and I had to make some big changes with my life for the marriage to continue regardless of her sexuality. I have changed. I quit drinking (103 days), I started therapy, I’m in the process of leaving a career I hate, and I started exercising regularly. We both wanted to give it an honest try to see if she regained attraction to me. Or if she could regain attraction to men at all.

Through many couples counseling sessions we finally reached an amicable decision to separate. We have no children, so at least logistically we should be able to make this as painless as possible. We do have two dogs and a house, but we’ll figure that out.

I have had to basically live in fight or flight while my wife figured herself out for the last 3 months. I think a part of her was so scared to admit her new found sexuality to the world that she held onto hope that her attraction for me would return. It feels like I’ve been in a slow developing car crash for months. Tensed up without any insight into what was going to happen.

At the end of the day I am incredibly happy for my wife. She finally gets to be happy, and she didn’t drag me along for a ride. She did the right thing in this situation, and clued me into what was happening. We both get to be who we are with people that will love us the same way we love them. I’ve read many accounts of similar situations, and I can say I would much rather be hurt now than 20 years down the road. That’s really how I feel at my core, truly. I feel as time passes that will cement.

What I’m really struggling with is that the last few months have been incredibly difficult. I’ve had to work my ass off to accept this reality. But it is my reality. It’s happening, and I can’t change it. I’m extremely sad that we couldn’t make it work. I’m tore up by many feelings of self-doubt, low-self esteem, and grief. I’m also very upset that our world has the capability to put someone so far into repression that this is even a possibility.

I’m in individual therapy. I’m focusing on myself to move forward, and putting my energy there. That being said the anger, sadness, and disbelief are still there. For all intents and purposes I’ve pushed them away to focus on myself. I know I don’t want to hold onto those feelings, but if I don’t acknowledge them I fear it’s going to hinder my ability to move on fully.

I guess I just wanted insight into what’s helped others go through this in a healthy way. I also just needed to commiserate with folks who have been here before.

October 24, 2022 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Commiseration, and questions about how to healthily process anger.

Firstly L.T.S...welcome to our Forum 😃

Secondly... congratulations for extracting yourself from the Mindfuck sooner than later

Thirdly....the Mindfuck is a marathon not a sprint and to understand it, to discover who you are and how has changed you may take a while.
For myself (I'm still IN the Mindfuck)... having friends and family know of the situation I'm in has helped. I have a counselor (not a couple's one) but best of all I have a strong belief in my own worth that I didn't have at the start of the Mf

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

October 24, 2022 2:55 pm  #3

Welcome to the club no one wants to be in, Lost_thought_space.

Three years ago I found out my wife of 20+ years was having affairs with men and women. It's been a journey across 1,000 days.

The one piece of advice I'd wished I'd learned earlier is that the anger, sadness, and disbelief never fully go away. Or at least for me they haven't, even though I've tried my damndest. I'm beginning to accept they may never go away, as this person was a massive part of my life and so it's only fitting this moment of loss leaves a scar.

That said, you're doing the right thing in focusing on what you can control. Enjoy therapy. Talk with friends. Meet new ones. Frame this as an opportunity to try life over, fresh.

Time does help create familiarity though. It makes the waves smaller and less devastating. What may have once stumbled me for a week is now a fleeting observation. Then on other days it is back in full force again. But accepting that this grieving process isn't in our control and being kind to yourself, whatever your experience is can help. We heal at our own pace.

Wishing you happiness on the road ahead.

October 26, 2022 11:10 am  #4

Hey there Lost_thought_space

I am truly sorry you have found yourself here. I see many similarities in our stories, as my husband and I have been together 7 years (married 4) and he just started coming to terms with his sexuality 6 months ago. 

I feel very similar feelings: gratitude, sadness, hurt, and low self esteem. All I know is that I walk through these feelings daily and know that I need to continue walking through them to get through to acceptance. 
Give yourself time. And the love and patience you would give a friend going through this.

You deserve the happiness coming your way. Take care of yourself.

L

November 4, 2022 10:41 pm  #5

I'm certainly glad that you've used this opportunity to create a fresh start for yourself after the devastation that's left in the wake of what you've experienced. But, I wish you wouldn't be so charitable to your wife & her "happiness." The idea that she just up & one day realized she is gay is inconceivable to me. Why? Because I've lived it. It's always been there for our SSA spouses, they were just too in denial & self-deceptive to confront it, & they've taken us down with them. I've lived almost a lifetime with my wife, & she's on the brink of blowing both out families apart because she's got to be "authentic." I wish it were that easy for the rest of us to just reinvent ourselves & throw off the "shackles" of vows, responsibilities, faith, & the rest of it. But, it really takes a narcissist to do that. Ordinary people wouldn't think of destroying everyone they love to indulge in their selfish desires. But that's what SSA spouses do. They leave only wreckage.

November 11, 2022 7:34 pm  #6

I’m in such a similar situation. My wife and I have been together 8 years and married 4. We’re in couples and individuals therapy. She grew up never getting to have an opinion or personality. Her survival response to the emotionally abusive town/situation/family/church she found herself in was to people please and be a mask. So when I created a safe space for her, she was finally able to discover who she is. It only took her 6 years to come to terms with her bisexuality. It took her another year or more to come to terms with her lack of an actual sexual or romantic attraction to men, or me. She grew up being told she should marry her best friend so she did! Now we’re trying to decouple (well she kinda already has as she did a lot of this thinking and dealing with shit before me as she wrestled internally with admitting to herself that she wasnt bisexual, but fully gay) and it’s hard. It’s so hard. Its so much pain. It’s good for both of us that we want to be best friends still. It’s good for both of us that we want to separate so that we can be happy. The last two months have been kinda miserable, but realizing that I dint want that misery, and any marriage now that she has realized who she is can only be this way, helped me recognize that I dont want this marriage either. Well… the marriage that it would have to be. But man…. this fucking sucks

Last edited by Mr_Stroodle (November 11, 2022 7:35 pm)

November 11, 2022 11:02 pm  #7

Mr. Stroodle,
Yes, you are all too right, it sucks. And, I am SO sorry for your suffering. 30 years gone on my end. A very similar story for my LW as yours in terms of family & faith history as well as her response to both. But, I'm beyond the charitable stage of things toward her. She's made my life a living hell for more than a year & all I've done is bargain, live in denial, & hope for something impossible. I love her deeply, but I can't do anything to "win" her back. She wants something I can't give her. Moreover, I don't believe what she now believes from a religious perspective. I can't fight with both hands tied behind my back.

November 12, 2022 9:40 pm  #8

SameDeepWater,
I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s really hard and I cant imagine it being that long. Its already hard for me, and this long weekend apart is just making it harder to want to be friends, and far easier to be angry. It seems like it’s just so easy for them sometimes. They’re so much further down the path than us. It gets easier to be scared of the future and harder to plan when I realize every single option is a sucky fucking option.

November 15, 2022 5:40 pm  #9

Hi, in response to opening poster on the topic of processing the anger - 

Say you wake up one morning, you are aching and you have bruises on your chest then the first thing you will do is try to figure how they got there - not internal bleeding, that's good, you can see scratches on the skin.  Then you pick up the empty cup on the bedside table and remember how your night time drink tasted a bit odd and you sniff the residue, goodness there is an odd smell there, something in the drink, that would account for how you slept through the bruising.  Now you check your sleeping wife's hands - can see skin and blood under the nails and bruising on the knuckles.  Mystery solved.

How do you feel?  shock, bewilderment, disbelief and yet as you try and get out of bed you realise how much your chest is hurting and the anger starts pulsing, fear anger sadness cycle through you.  and you simply can't bear it, you wake up your wife, showing her your chest - why did you do this to me you ask, what she replies innocently, punch me in the chest you say indignantly and she replies but I didn't, yes you did you yell picking up one of her hands and showing it to her.  Oh she says, oh goodness, I don't think so.  Are you sure, I don't think that was me.  I got the marks on my hands moving rocks in garden.

omg.  some dogged little part of you puts that cup in your bag and later on that day you send it off for chemical analysis and sure enough there is a residue of sleeping pills in it.  Go on, confront her again.  I put a sleeping tablet into my cup she says, you must have switched the cups.  Didn't you taste the extra sugar?  well come to think of it it had been a bit sweet.  It isn't til you wake bolt upright at 3am that you think to ask well why didn't you notice your drink wasn't sweet enough?  Not enough though is it.  Not enough to put the blame at her door.  

What other explanation for the bruising on your chest is there.  Have you done it to yourself somehow, have you forgotten having a fight with someone, did the dog do it?  oh that's right, it was raining and no muddy paw prints no way the dog can take the blame.

Go through enough conversations like that one as I did and you end up wondering if your memory and reasoning could be at fault when it isn't.

If you are a reasonable person then you don't want to be angry with an innocent party.  The thing I came to is I can trust myself.  I can be confident that even when very angry I will still be okay and not irresponsible.

I picked up my clay.  There's something about it.  There I am more angry than I know what to do with, I felt like a block of stone, and yet the moment I pressed my thumb into the clay and it yielded so entirely so did I.  Spent the whole afternoon with my fingers in clay, very enjoyable it was too.

So anger is creative energy.  It wasn't long before I was building 3 foot high terracotta statues!

Board footera