OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2021 5:22 pm  #1

Very Confused

My husband recently told me he is bisexual. It came as a total shock to me. We have been married for a while now but he said he just realized it in the last year or two. I asked him how this changes our relationship and he said it doesn’t. He just thought I should know. Here is where I am confused. He has never been with a man (not a requirement obviously) and if our relationship will not be changing, he will get to fulfill that side of him I guess so to speak. None of this makes sense to me. I am worried he will one day come out fully as being gay. How do you overcome this? Why am I having such a hard time?

September 22, 2021 5:58 pm  #2

Re: Very Confused

Hi MMM2,

Am sorry you find yourself here. If you haven't already seen this, read the first post of this thread - First Aid Kit: : How to survive finding out your partner is LGBT

https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic_mobile.php?id=1217

Your h will only get to fulfill that side of himself if you give him permission. You have the right to continue a monogamous marriage if that's what you both agreed to as a married couple.

Some people do come out as gay after declaring themselves as bisexual and others stay bi forever. There's no way to tell what will happen. It would relieve a lot of worrying for me if I was in your shoes & knew for certain. I don't blame you for being concerned.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 22, 2021 11:42 pm  #3

I'm really sorry for what you're going through.  You are entering a very confusing time.  You are not alone.  I think "having a hard time" is a normal reaction to finding out that your supposed best friend was keeping something really important about himself hidden from you.  

The one thing I would say is to confront the revelation head on as a couple and get professional help, both of you.  Don't sweep it under the rug and try to go on as if everything is normal.  I know I did that and after 6 more years of marriage and having two small children my ex said what he really meant-- that he was gay and wanted to experience true love which he could only find with a man.  

If there's any chance that's what he actually means, you should probably try to tease that out so that you know what you are really dealing with and can then make a plan together for a path forward. 

Hang in there.  You may feel like your life is collapsing around you.  Take care of your physical and mental health to the best that you can during this confusing time. 

September 23, 2021 5:32 am  #4

My husband did not have an affair and does not want an open relationship. I guess that also adds to my confusion because with a quick internet search I see that it is quite common to want/need that. I actually have a family member that was in a heterosexual marriage and after years and couple kids later came out as being gay. I feel like my life if quickly becoming that. I definitely believed I had entered into the traditional heterosexual marriage. We have been married for 7 years and have 3 small children together. I already suffer from anxiety and some insecurity within our relationship, so this is just adding to it. I am scared I won’t be able to get over this hump and will have to separate which will then effect our children. Our marriage has been a little rocking for the last year due to work schedules, the stress of small children and overall lack of time. He doesn’t seem to understand why I am so confused and having such a hard time with this.

September 23, 2021 2:21 pm  #5

MMM2 wrote:

My husband recently told me he is bisexual. It came as a total shock to me. We have been married for a while now but he said he just realized it in the last year or two. I asked him how this changes our relationship and he said it doesn’t. He just thought I should know. Here is where I am confused. He has never been with a man (not a requirement obviously) and if our relationship will not be changing, he will get to fulfill that side of him I guess so to speak. None of this makes sense to me. I am worried he will one day come out fully as being gay. How do you overcome this? Why am I having such a hard time?

You overcome it by seperating your husbands needs from your own. If he wants to explore this may mean he'll  be having sexual relations with another man. How does that make you feel? It's something you can't reverse once you say you're okay with it
And remember...by saying he's "just realised it in the last 2 years"...he's probably been thinking about it for a lot longer. After reading a few articles and accounts of other straightspouses..these feelinngs don't suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Post here, ask questions, be prepared for honest answers. This is something I can't sugar-coat anymore. Having a bisexual partner who wanted to 'explore' with a man and "maybe one day be fucked by a man" destroyed my trusting 32 year r'ship with him.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera