OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2021 7:25 pm  #11

Re: How could he do this

Daisy wrote:

You are right, I am realizing that I don’t know who he is. It makes me sick, I believed and trusted him. Im still on an emotional roller coaster, I only learned that he is gay a few days ago.  It feels like a nightmare that I’ll never wake up from.

I am in the same nightmare and the lies are endless.  I am sure that a study one day will show that we were chosen for our empathy and compassion.  They dont deserve it.  The betrayal and deception is endless.  The more you dig, the more you find and the more the emotions get all in turmoil.  What kind of person do you need to be to deceive someone and rid them of all the facts to make a decision? A bad person, a sefish person.

We are all in the dame boat and its a shitty ride….but you are not alone and we are all struggling.  Lots of good advice here.

July 30, 2021 9:14 am  #12

I'm so sorry Daisy.

This information does destroy worlds. Please know that you will get through this. It will just take time and distance from the abuser.

Quick tips:
• He's lying to you. He has lied to you for 40+ years. There's no sugar-coating it.
• Block contact. Avoid being sucked into his mazes of bullshit.
• You decide who you tell. Any promises made were in the moment, and you get to change that. If you want to tell friends and family for support, do it.
• Talk. Talk to anyone who will listen.
• Don't skip the basics. Eat. Sleep. You need these.
• Get a therapist. I had two! They will help.
• Treat yourself. Get aggressive with self care. Go walk. Read. Spa-day. Whatever it is, get your head out of this situation.
• If you can, journal. I was able to decompress the abuse. Seeing the path you take helps show progress.

With some distance from my own situation, I can now see that all relationships (romantic or friendly) are best understood by the topics you are not allowed to discuss. He lied to you for decades, placing your health in harm, he manipulated you to be there to support him, while he used you, and now after finding out this revelatory news, he has asked to stop speaking about it near instantly.

He had 60 years to find "himself" and he's still confused. You had days, and he's frustrated by your confusion. What a jerk.

You will trust again. There is light out there. But now comes the hard part of setting clear boundaries and walking the path forward. In a few months or more, usually when you least expect it, you'll look back and this won't have the same impact. It will be just a part of your story. Something that happened to you that you overcame.

We're here to help however we can. Wishing you strength and happiness ahead!

July 30, 2021 1:00 pm  #13

Hi Daisy,

First off, welcome to the club that nobody ever imagined joining. There is a lot to come to terms with in your situation. One thing I can promise you Daisy is that deep within you are not lessened in any way by what has transpired. Reading through your account, it seems that your significant other has been fighting a battle with himself for his whole life. He knew from an early age that his sexual orientation was not what he thought it should be. The internal battle was between his true self (existing in his unconscious mind) and his false self (the disassociated personality he constructed to navigate social acceptance). He is unfortunately one of gay men that existed in complete conscious denial of his true self. He pursued a heterosexual relationship with you in order to project to the world a false version of himself as a heterosexual man. This internally projected facsimile of heterosexuality was a way to suppress his actual sexual orientation. This seems extreme and difficult to understand in retrospect, but the reasoning for it lies in basic human psychology.
 In all of us there exists some fundamental needs that need to be satisfied in order for us as humans to exist. The generally accepted model for this is called Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. Essentially, the first base sections are your physiological needs, food, water, warmth, rest and so forth. The second level requires security, safety and shelter. When you have these in place, the next levels are primarily psychological needs. These are the needs for love, relationships and friendships that form the cornerstone of psychological well being, mainly in the form of a personal acceptance by others as a member of whichever society we operate in. Unfortunately in human psychology, if one or other of these base needs are not satisfied then the upper sections of the model cannot exist. Sitting above these base needs are our sense of self worth and self esteem which are often extremely fragile. I believe that your S/O tried to maintain a heterosexual identity out of a deep shame that if his true self was socially unacceptable and would therefore lead to social exclusion and rejection. Humans fear this death every much as the fear physical death.
After the divorce, he explained that he had been true to himself and had engaged in same sex relations with other men. He seems to have tried again to reject this true version of himself by embarking on other failed heterosexual relationships. It seems that as a final attempt to control his homosexual orientation, he went back to what he knew had worked for him in the past. His safe place, with you Daisy. But, the Genie was already out of the bottle this time and even this escape route was not viable. He then seems to have conceded to himself as much as to anyone else that he couldn’t deny his true self anymore.
I don’t know if he was ever unfaithful to you in anyway. I don’t know if he lied to you in so much as he lived a lie to himself. He came back to you because you are obviously a very special person Daisy. You always will be, and your own self esteem and self worth should only ever be fortified by what you have been through. As others have wisely suggested, look after yourself and possibly find a therapist to help you through your grief. Be free to speak of your truth and pain to your friends and relatives because you didn’t build the closet and therefore you shouldn’t ever live in one. It is all still so unbelievable and difficult to comprehend, but there are friends here who can support you as much as they are able. Lean on them, ask them whatever you want and they will listen.

Be well Daisy.

Ordinary guy

4903 days…

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

July 30, 2021 1:58 pm  #14

The thing that bothers me is that he doesn't want you to tell anyone else and he doesn't want to talk about how much it's hurting you.  He's not giving you solid answers, instead he's co-opted you into his closet.   

And there's all that family involved.

If he is anything like my ex you might find he is a bit of a spin doctor, wanting to control the narrative with your family and subtly putting you down and him up.  sorry - I know it's horrible to contemplate but if he is like that then a bit of careful observation will serve you better than trying to talk with him.  

He can't tell you not to talk with your family - it's your story to share with your family and friends, don't let him take that away from you.

July 30, 2021 3:01 pm  #15

lily wrote:

The thing that bothers me is that he doesn't want you to tell anyone else and he doesn't want to talk about how much it's hurting you.  He's not giving you solid answers, instead he's co-opted you into his closet.   

And there's all that family involved.

If he is anything like my ex you might find he is a bit of a spin doctor, wanting to control the narrative with your family and subtly putting you down and him up.  sorry - I know it's horrible to contemplate but if he is like that then a bit of careful observation will serve you better than trying to talk with him.  

He can't tell you not to talk with your family - it's your story to share with your family and friends, don't let him take that away from you.

^^^
You talk to whoever, and about whatever you want to. You owe him nothing in this regard. If everyone one finds out he’s gay, then so be it. There is no need for closeting the truth now. Go and be with your own tribe, he can go and be with his.

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

July 30, 2021 5:18 pm  #16

Hi Daisy,

The reasons for his duplicity explain but don't excuse his bad behavior.

I agree with what was said above - get a support network going with friends, family and a counselor to tell them what's happened. Bottling it up inside will harm you.  You need to heal from the betrayal of this man. That's your main job.

No contact helped me get ahead with my life. I heard only more lies and pleas to get back together.  He didn't care what I was going through at all and his part in causing the devastation.

You deserve a good life!

Best regards,
Maria

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 30, 2021 8:24 pm  #17

Thank you all for the support, it has helped me greatly! I saw him face to face tonight.  I needed to tell him how his “lie” has affected me. He could see I was upset and asked what was wrong. I told him I didn’t know what was real anymore and that everything from the beginning was a lie.  He tried to turn the tables on me saying we already talked about this and where was my self esteem.  Wrong thing to say… I let him have it.  I told him he should have told me he was gay at the very beginning.  That all this time he made me feel like everything was my fault. ( the ED, etc). And I believed it.  His reply… he isn’t gay, he said that because I kept going on and on about it. Really??  You cried and told me about your two male sexual encounters, you didn’t want anyone to know.  He said he’s depressed and can’t be around anyone and that any relationships with women don’t work out.  I told him I know he’s gay, I have had my suspicions…. unusual reaction to men kissing, Brokeback Mountain is your favorite movie, the way you act in bed, etc. I’m not an idiot.  He didn’t like that and I didn’t back down no matter how hard he tried to convince me I was wrong.  There are many ways  to end a conversation why would you choose to tell me you are gay? I told him he needs to own his truth and that he will have all the time he needs to do that.  I’m not playing this game anymore. It then went to that I’m a wonderful person, I didn’t do anything wrong. It’s him… not me, he’s not gay.  Oh, yes you are… own it!  It felt so good and I actually feel some relief.

July 30, 2021 8:54 pm  #18

Daisy,

Good for you.  So after the 27 years of my GH lying about his orientation, I will tell you this- Your gut is never wrong….that feeling in your body is your true being warning you and listen.  I basically forced the truth out of him and no heterosexual man loves Brokeback Mountain. 

We dont deserve this and we will be deceived and if you dig, you will find.  The story has changed 20 times since D-Day and all the truth has been FORCED out of him.  In an argument he told me that he never intended to tell me the truth and that is why the truth i know is based on what i find out.

Ugggghhh i am over it! I trust that man 0.00

July 30, 2021 9:47 pm  #19

yes ok, that's pretty clear - as soon as you say you won't tell you're a wonderful kind person.  Instead of owning up he is trying to make you back down.  He is managing you.

The likelihood is he will preemptively ramp up his attentions with your family.  

While you stay hostage to his secret you are losing your true story.  

This is something akin to a bomb going off in your life, it is only natural to talk about it what if it were something else, say you got caught in a flooding creek and got rescued by an idealistic young man towing your car out - who would you tell.  How much more so do you need them by your side now.

Having said all that, you can get a mixed bag of reactions when you do talk about the gay thing so always worth being a bit careful whom you do confide in.  Family is best.  And as Elle said somewhere recently you don't have to tell him you've told!

He already knows he's gay.  And it doesn't sound like he wants to admit to it any more than my ex did.  I just accepted I knew and stopped asking him about it at all and he found that much easier to handle.  Gay in denial is a way of life.

July 30, 2021 11:42 pm  #20

Daisy, well done on saying your piece.  His reaction is still classic abuse tactic DARVO:

- Deny (I'm not gay)
- Attack (where's your self-esteem; we already talked about this)
- Reverse Victim and Offender (making himself the victim - poor me, my relationships with women don't work out, I'm depressed, I can't be with anybody)

He's not going to change his tune, and Lily is right, if you keep contact with him he may well get to work on your family and try to turn them against you.

He is trouble. No Contact. If your family want to know why and you don't want to say you think he's gay you have lots of other reasons.  From your posts alone (I'm sure there's much more):

*He's got a lot of hangups that make me uncomfortable but refuses to discuss them. Every time I try he gets annoyed. He lied to me. He kept changing stories he told me about his past.  I don't trust him any more.

*He blames me for his erectile dysfunction.

*He said he didn't find me sexually attractive any more. (This alone is reason enough to kick a boyfriend of less than 2 years out if you ask me).

*I felt uncomfortable doing some things he demanded of me in the bedroom to make me sexy enough to arouse him. (A lot of us have had similar experience, Daisy.  We know how demeaning and devaluing it is to be told we're not sexy enough, its our fault he can't get an erection. Its a big nasty lie. We know its not us its them. Gay men are turned on by men. Fact.).

*He is emotionally abusive. He keeps blaming me for making him unhappy after such a short time together. Adults are responsible for their own happiness.  I don't want to see him any more.  He can find someone else to blame.

*We don't like the same movies.  He likes to rewatch movies like Brokeback Mountain and I don't. I get bored.

*I don't like his homophobia and he won't talk about it.

*Not only did he leave you and his child with little effort or interest to keep any relationship with his daughter. But now look how unhappy he has made you 40 years later after less than 2 years back in your life.

One word: TOXIC.

Please stop pitying him  He is not your friend. He is a toxic, deceitful user, a manipulative interloper into your family. He is playing on your kindness.

The longer you keep talking to him the more unhappy you will become.

Once you've kicked him out of your life it won't matter if he's straight or gay. He's gone, that's all that matters.

Last edited by Soaplife (July 30, 2021 11:47 pm)

Board footera