OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2021 9:34 am  #1

So Blind For So Long

Hello everyone, I'm new to SSN after learning a few days ago of all the lies from a 17 year marriage. My husband (39) and I (38) had what I thought was such a good and strong marriage. Our marriage was full of laughter and joy. We didn't have communication problems, we never really fought. We always talked things through. We were a team, a very good team at that. We supported each other in our careers. We achieved everything that we set our goals to. We loved each other, we also had great chemistry. We have two beautiful children together. My world was so blissful until it came crumbling down on me. I now feel like the stupid wife, some piece of washed up trash. How could I have not seen what was really going on for so long.

In 2019 as we were moving cross country my husband randomly told me that he had one sexual encounter with a man. The encounter was before he met me. I was shock and didn't understand where this was coming from. At that point we were married for 14 years. I was so shocked I couldn't wrap my head around this. After asking him questions upon questions he added that he also went online and did video chats and masturbated in front of other guys. We went to counseling, we were able to talk to each and we both committed to working on our marriage. I though we were in a good place after counseling.

Jul 2021 my family came to visit and we planned a family camping trip. The night before we left to go camping I walked up to the bedroom and heard him talking on the phone to someone at 11pm. This is out of the norm for him. So I politely asked honey who are you talking to. He had a blank look on his face and said, nobody. I kept asking then he said he talked to his mom. Which was weird cause it was pretty late for his mom to call. He then came down stairs, I followed him to ask to look at his phone. He deleted the incoming call...weird. This event was the start to the end of our marriage.

For the next week, we talked about why he lied and if there was anything else. The conversation evolved from "I feel like I never do anything right for you". To "I don't know what you want from me". To your so controlling. I am dumbfounded, I have never seen so much hate and anger, he has never been mean to me in the 17 years I have been with him. We agreed that we love each other and I would work on the things that was wrong with me. I thought we were moving in the right direction to better improve our marriage and communication. When we came home he brought the idea of having an open relationship and bringing a man into our bed to spice things up. I struggled with the idea but agreed so that he would be happy. I let him do the searching for the person he wanted to bring into our bed. As he was searching online, I noticed how excited he was and how well he navigated the dating sites. This lead me to ask more and more questions. He was not forthcoming at all, we would stay up until 5am talking. I realized my husband was extremely attracted to young men (early 20s). After three nights of asking, poking, probing he finally let out some damaging information. He had been going on gay dating sites and hooking up with random men since 2007 off and on. But he doesn't see himself as gay, he said he was attracted to both men and women. The worst was when he went away for school or training. The most devastating part is that as he was away for school for 7 months to RI he feel in love with a 20 year old boy after beign exclusively with him for 5 months. He would go and pick up his bf at his house every night after he would tell us good night and how much he loved and missed us. He would drop the bf off every morning, then call me to say good morning sunshine. He even introduced himself as the bf to the boy's family. He never told the bf that he was married with kids. He also denied loving his bf, but I had access to his Instagram, I read through months of their conversations. It made me so so sick to read how so in love he was with this boy and that he wants to marry him. At the same time he was confessing his love for me and how he wanted to work on our marriage and that family is his number one priority. He told me I am his best friend and that nobody knew him better than me. But as soon as he walked into another room or bathroom he would txt his bf how much he missed him and it hurt so bad that he was away. He would also lie to the bf that he was away at sea so he didn't have signal. I have never known my husband to cheat and lie, but I realized how good he was at it.

When I found all this new information a few days ago. I went into a rollercoaster of emotions I was ok, then I would start crying uncontrollably. My heart was numb, I can't sleep and haven't had a full meal in over a week. I feel like my whole marriage was a lie. Why would he keep me around and drag me and the kids along like some sick game. He lied and got what he wanted, the best of both worlds with a family and his side piece. After knowing what I know now, he still wanted to work on our marriage and stay together. He would cry and tell me how much the family meant to him. He was still sleeping in my bed and held me when ever he got a chance. I know I could not stay, our marriage was nothing but lies and betrayal. The moment I told him this would not work out since he clearly loved being with men, he flipped a switch. He then started telling me intimate details of his relationship and how much he loves his bf. He also went on to tell me that his bf completes him. He does not take into consideration how I felt. He also wanted to buy his bf a new Apple phone and laptop, since his phoen broke and he needs his own laptop for school. He added the bf to our phone plan.The following day he booked a trip to go "smooth" things over with his bf in RI. It's painful how inconsiderate he is about the situation, we just agreed on a divorce two days ago no paper work has been started and he is already trying to move his bf in to our lives.  He apologized for beign a bad husband, and lying about how he felt about me. He has proven to me he never cared about me or the kids. He only cared for himself. The pain is still fresh and it hurts so so bad, but I know this will pass and I will find happiness again, but I can't seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

July 10, 2021 2:07 pm  #2

Re: So Blind For So Long

Dear Why Me,

That's terrible! In my opinion, am glad you left him. What a scourge! It doesn't make the pain and hurt go away. All of us on this forum have been through it and empathize.

My late ex husband hid his gay life from me so well that I had nothing to go on but instinct that he wasn't straight. I found proof after he passed away.

Sorry if this is a repeat. Interview as many divorce attorneys as you can to find a good fit. In most areas, the first hour consultation is free. Find out what your financial rights are. Log/inventory the amount of gifts and cash he's given to this boyfriend. These are/were joint assets since you were not yet separated when these were given without your permission. You need to get your share back of these squandered assets. Get copies of all joint financial records you can. Freeze the ability for anyone to use your SSN to open new credit card accounts.  The big three credit bureaus (TransUnion, Experian, etc.) will give you a PIN if you need to unlock it temporarily for yourself. Watch joint checking/savings accounts for signs your STBX has drained them. Memorize his SSN, DOB, birthplace, parents' names and mother's maiden name. These come in handy during the financial stage of a divorce. 

I went through all this when I divorced. It got me through it knowing I would fight to keep my finances from not being ruined like he ruined our marriage.

Take care & thinking good thoughts for you.

Best, Maria

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 20, 2021 7:40 am  #3

Dear Why me,

I have been married for 21 years and woke up to a gay husband just like you with betrayal and dishonesty.  I now look at him and wonder... who are you?  I am following the advice here and building a support network, working on myself and trying to formulate an exit strategy.

July 20, 2021 9:24 am  #4

My heart breaks for you, WhyMe.

You were not blind. You were a loving, trusting wife. Your husband's disgusting deception is the issue. You are not to blame.

First, your husband is a heartless, selfish, abusive, manipulative asshole. I try to avoid name-calling, but there's no other way around this fact. This was all about his wants.

Second, get tested for STDs.

Third, dive deep into self-care. Take time off from work. Treat yourself to your favorite meals. Talk to your friends and family. Stay off social media. Get a therapist or increase visits. Talk here. Go do a spa day. Do activities you enjoy. Eat. Sleep. Journal (oh god, this helped so much!). And give yourself grace.

Fourth, lawyer up. Your husband is not a friend. Your legal team is your army for the coming months. You pay them to fight the battles.

Fifth, separate if you can and go no contact if at all possible. Look into 'gray rock' methods. The farther you can get from this person, the less you can know about their gross violation of trust, the better.

Six, if you like to read then I can't recommend enough "Leave a Cheater, Gain a Life: The Chump Lady's Survival Guide". It is an actually funny book that will explain why cheater's cheat. It will help you make sense of things.

Seven, I'm hesitant to add this, but I feel I wish I would have known: it takes time.

It seems to take about a year to find your footing in life again. It took me two, as I was in a similar situation to you (wife of 20 years had been cheating for 15 years with men/women). Some take much longer. We're all different. 

I remember asking my therapist when this pain would go away and she chuckled. It doesn't. But the volume does get lower and lower until this is no longer the primary thought in your mind. Someday it will just be a part of your story. One that you'll look back at and make new connections at the most random of times, then move on to brighter days.

You will get through this and be better for it. If you need help, we're here.

Wishing you strength and happiness ahead!

July 20, 2021 10:25 am  #5

WhyMe,

Blind is a strong and negative word.

You were not blind..  like me you probably gave strong fierce love and loyalty.  He , by holding this fundamental thing about himself from you..did not give the same.

We did nothing wrong..when we go before God we can say we kept all our vows and promises..loved with all out heart
...did they?

Kudos on building your support...Wishing you strength and fortitude.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 20, 2021 2:10 pm  #6

WhyMe,

I am so sorry you’re having to go through all of this. I went through finding out we were living a lie, too, and it was the most devastating thing I’ve ever been through. The difference was that it was 15 years of random hookups having only oral sex and no emotional connections, so he didn’t want a relationship with a man, and stopped having sex with men, so we have been trying to rebuild…..or, I should say build our marriage since then (he had been doing it since Boy Scouts, so he was having sex with men before we did). But, ours is different, as is everyone’s situation.

You’ve gotten some great suggestions here from some caring people who have been through a lot of this themselves.

The main thing is to take care of yourself. YOU matter. Remember to breath & eat.. do normal things.
Everything will turn out al right for you in the end. You’ll be fine..this is the hardest part….not saying there’s not a hard road ahead, but you’ll get through this.

Do you have anyone to talk to? That’s always helpful. 

Take care of YOU (((((HUGS)))))

July 20, 2021 2:51 pm  #7

WhyMe? wrote:

Your story made me cry. I hope you are no longer being intimate with this mean, uncaring man. I also hope you immediately confide in family/friends what's happening. This man has knowingly led you into, and left you to founder in the Mindfuck of realising you've been lied to and that what you thought was real was not. The longer you allow him to think it's okay for him to include another man in your r'ship ( 20 years old? what the crazy fuck!! ) the more he'll disrupt. You and your children need to get out

Welcome to our Forum Whyme....

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 20, 2021 5:01 pm  #8

I'm so sorry you've found yourself here. My heart breaks for you. 
Our stories are similar in many ways. Before the gay bomb dropped I too thought I had the perfect marriage. We rarely fought, I was deeply in love and trusted him more than anyone else on the planet.
To have your entire reality shatter in an instant is so traumatic. Be kind to yourself. Take good care of yourself and your children. Definitely find a therapist and confide in loved ones if you're able. You will get through this. I'm almost a year out and things do get better/easier.

Board footera