OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2021 11:13 am  #1

Wife came out as bisexual and struggling with authentic support

My wife of 12 years recognized she is bisexual and, through this process published a book. I believed I was supportive, but recognize it was only to a limited amount. I've denied my own questions about sexuality, and this blocks my ability to authentically support her and provide a safe environment. It also impacts my relationships with others. I'm at the beginning phases of exploring my own true beliefs so I can be a better partner. I know I am straight, yet not sure how to best authentically support my wife.

July 18, 2021 11:52 am  #2

Re: Wife came out as bisexual and struggling with authentic support

I saw your posts on Reddit, and from what I understand, you are wanting to explore YOUR sexuality.

I read the other post and this one, and the only reason I didn’t answer the other one is that I didn’t know what to say. Exactly what are you wanting to do to find this out? Just curious so we can help.
thanks.
and, welcome!

July 18, 2021 2:17 pm  #3

hikerjohnm wrote:

....... I know I am straight, yet not sure how to best authentically support my wife.

You sound like you lost something , can't remember where you lost it, or whether you should go look for it because you don't know if it was just a dream. 
But you can't "authentically" support another person until you fully explore and come to understand what this Mindfuck has done...is doing....to yourself. 
Our changed spouses often lean on our sympathetic natures because they expect it, almost like if we accept what's happening to them....everything will be okay. But they can also not give us, the left behind spouse...the support we need so before you lose yourself step back and take stock of where you are and what's happening

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 18, 2021 3:32 pm  #4

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

Our changed spouses often lean on our sympathetic natures because they expect it, almost like if we accept what's happening to them....everything will be okay. But they can also not give us, the left behind spouse...the support we need so before you lose yourself step back and take stock of where you are and what's happening

Our spouses didn't 'change' they just weren't able to be themselves for a plethora of reasons all very personal and specific to each person. We haven't all been 'left behind' and my bi husband gives just as much support as he receives. You are inferring A LOT here making his bisexual wife sound like a villain when he has not in any way said that.

John, we just want to understand where your head is so we can figure out how to best help in your journey.

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

July 18, 2021 3:56 pm  #5

CMaree23 wrote:

....Our spouses didn't 'change' they just weren't able to be themselves for a plethora of reasons all very personal and specific to each person. We haven't all been 'left behind' and my bi husband gives just as much support as he receives.

This isn't about your bi husband and his support though..this is about somebody else' wife, and I can only comment through my own thoughts and feelings about the 'self' I lost when I thought that it was my partner who needed the help when it was myself I needed to focus on

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 18, 2021 5:04 pm  #6

If I understand you right, HikerJohn, you are taking the view that you can only give authentic support to your wife if you understand yourself.  I think that's good solid reasoning.

But it makes me think how else can you understand your own sexuality other than in the way it works in relation with a straight woman?

July 18, 2021 5:09 pm  #7

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

this is about somebody else' wife...

Elle

Yes,it's about him and his journey into understanding himself. He didn't speak ill of his wife. Didn't say she was not supportive of him. Didn't say she left him behind. You projected your experience onto this in a negative way.

I think it is important to remain as objective as possible and not bombard new people with our own pain. Sharing your experience and your struggles is one thing but assuming every situation is like your own is not always helpful. You could've expressed your experience in taking time to get to know yourself and love yourself without cutting down the non straight spouse.

Straight wife to wonderful Bi husband 
20+ years together, out to me for 17+ 
Monogamous
https://www.morandmore.org/

July 18, 2021 5:17 pm  #8

Hello CMaree,

This isn't the case for everyone. Please be respectful to the experiences of others whose marriage and outcome was very painful.  This is a safe place to express our hurt. Don't try to take that away from us.

I don't agree with all that is written here.  The important part is to feel heard and get support about TGT. This is the purpose of SSN and the Support Board. Nothing else matters to me.

I know you and all of us want to get better and move on with our lives.

Thank you.

Edited: I am a little stressed out due to the COVID delta variant spreading quickly.  It is messing with my mind and writing ability. I have to edit all posts lately. Stay safe, all.

Last edited by MJM017 (July 18, 2021 5:55 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 18, 2021 7:47 pm  #9

Yikes....first of all, thank you for taking the time to consider the situation I am in - though you all can only know the tip of the iceberg here.  This has made me self reflect on what trust is all about - primarily trust in myself. Brene Brown has a fantastic video on this, which I need to explore. It's not a decision my wife has made, and if there was any decision it was to be brave enough to come out knowing the pain and discomfort she will need to deal with. She is not sexually active, does not have a partner she is leaving me for, but also does not want to be sexually active with me.
I guess I'm looking to better trust myself, not lose myself identity, and support her. She does get upset when others check in to see how I am, how I'm handling this.  Not quite sure I have an answer to that yet.

John

July 18, 2021 8:46 pm  #10

CMaree23 wrote:

.... He didn't speak ill of his wife. Didn't say she was not supportive of him. Didn't say she left him behind. You projected your experience onto this in a negative way......

I said he needed to delve deep into himself first, to decide his own feelings about 
what is happeninng because with knowledge comes strength. That's what we do here on the support board, and within that framework our own experiences add 
context to what is happening

Elle

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (July 19, 2021 2:44 am)

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera