OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2021 7:48 pm  #1

Wife Came Out to Me Tonight

I'm trying to figure things out, but as my user name implies, I'm already over it.

My wife has always been pretty cold, unintimate and fairly mean to me. I actually promised myself to leave her once our youngest goes to college (I've never told anyone that).

She's talked about counseling for us or her on and off for a long time. We did a little marriage counseling here and there, but her assumption that it's all my fault was always flipped on its head, with the counselors essentially saying "no, lady, it's your fault."

She ramped up the talk of her needing counseling and today I called her on it nicely saying if she's serious, we need to move on it. I let her know that obviously I want her to talk to me about anything. She hesitated, but told me that she's gay and has been forever.

At least all this makes sense now. I suspected bisexuality, but if she liked me and didn't act on anything else, that's perfectly fine. But nope: she recognizes my attractiveness and that's it, really. She's full blown, 100% only gay.

OK, great. I'm happy for you.

Now... go away?

I really want to be amicable, but she needs to go. I have plenty of life left and I want to find the one. Someone that won't ruin what's left of my youth and vigor and with whom I can grow old.

We have kids. I want an amicable situation so we can split custody in a healthy fashion.

But she needs to leave my house. I'm not mad, I just don't want a roommate that treats me horribly and doesn't love me. She's not my wife in the truest of senses, she is horrible to me and dominates every aspect of the house and my life. I don't want that.

I want to be super nice to her, but she needs to move out and I don't want to give her anything. She can have all her stuff and anything that's kinda sorta ours. She can't have the house and I'm not paying alimony. I'm happy to buy the kids literally everything they need. But I'm not paying her one red cent per month or anything. I'm happy to let her stay for a few months (tops) and to pay any costs involved in moving. I'd suggest she move in with a friend, tbh, or find a girlfriend, whatever.

Again: I'm going to be perfectly civil and supportive, but I owe her nothing. And she's seriously derailed or ruined almost every aspect of my life and I'm not kidding. I want a fresh start from ground zero where I'm not in debt to her or anything and I want to find my true soulmate.

By all appearances to her, I'll be 100% calm, civil, supportive and loving the whole process. But she needs to go.

I need advice on divorce ASAP. I want my ducks in a row as quickly as possible. Advice? Where should I go? With whom should I speak? I won't let her live in the house past some short time frame to find a new place and get settled. I'm not giving her my house. She pays absolutely nothing into the finances of the house whatsoever. She has a job and can support herself if she didn't waste all her money on herself. I have confidence she'd figure that part out, but it's not my problem. I can provide for my kids even when she's with them, no problem. Meals, clothes, extracurriculars. But she gets absolutely nothing. And that's going to be tough, legally. That's what I need advice on.

I hate to sound cruel or harsh, but I'll always be super nice about everything and supportive of her and her new life. Amicable dropoffs/pickups, split custody, etc. But I need advice on how to proceed ASAP so I can move on before my time is up.

Thanks to all who reply in advance.

July 14, 2021 10:23 pm  #2

Re: Wife Came Out to Me Tonight

OverItAlready wrote:

I'm trying to figure things out, but as my user name implies, I'm already over it.......
I hate to sound cruel or harsh, but I'll always be super nice about everything and supportive of her and her new life. Amicable dropoffs/pickups, split custody, etc.......

Welcome Overit
You sound super-angry, not cruel or harsh....and I think you need to get to a 'determined' status rather than an angry one. Anger won't be any help to your children and in a divorce, even if you say it'll be amicable....the children will pick up on it. 
As far as help with divorce...I'm not there yet (but let go of my anger over a year ago).....there are plenty straightspouses here who will have great advice

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 14, 2021 10:29 pm  #3

Hi, I sympathise with your feelings but I guess you realise it is tough legally.  So here is my suggestion.

You have the element of surprise.  and your plan to be perfectly calm civil and supportive is good, maybe you can pull off a quick divorce.  I hesitate to give advice because you clearly know what you are doing but the way I would approach it is to not lean into the things you want - her gone, no money for her - keep it friendly and go ahead.  I had a friend who was a lawyer and he recommended two lawyers.  They work in the same courts, they know eachother, are both reasonable people.  I offer to pay for both lawyers as long as he doesn't make any more visits than the necessary.

It was still a gruelling process but better than it could have been.  My main bargaining chip was not talking about him being gay.  My occasionally used little mantra was the family courts are full of people going bankrupt fighting over their divorce and at the end of the day the judge is going to award what the court sees as the correct separation anyway.

we then shuffled a list of separation back and forth via email.  I asked for what my lawyer said the family court would do and his lawyer told him it was a reasonable outcome.

Whether you can get a court to agree to you paying all the costs for the children and nothing to her I don't know.  You are going to be giving her money for housekeeping when the children are there whatever you do aren't you?

My suggestion is a positive passive approach re her moving out - just act as if you accept she is leaving as soon as she can without talking about it.

I'm thinking that maybe she will leave of her own volition if she's not being pushed.

I moved into the studio, it was a separate building by the creek and I had agreement I could stay there as long as I liked, or maybe it was a substantial specified period of time, I can't remember but my ex managed to co-opt a mutual friend into er encouraging me to move sooner than I was really ready for.  I believed she was just being a friend and helping me but actually her timing was to do with his not mine.  It still rankles for me.  Like I got co-opted out of my dreaming and where I wanted to go - my timing.

You got this.  Look after yourself, one step at a time, you are likely to be in a state of shock and need extra caring.

wishing you all the best, Lily.  

July 14, 2021 11:24 pm  #4

Sorry this happened. I was very angry at my late GIDXH for the very things you bring up. That fueled my determination to divorce, and also to learn as much about the law in my jurisdiction to have the best outcome. Make sure to memorize her SSN, DOB, place of birth, parents names and her mother's maiden name. Make copies of all financial records, credit cards, joint bank accounts and other assets. List all assets you own together, all debts and all $$$ gifts you've exchanged.

I'm in the US. Here you need a family law attorney who specializes in divorce. Most attorneys offer a free one hour consultation. I shopped around for the best fit.

Most areas have no-fault divorce with community property. This means the reason for the divorce doesn't matter and joint debts and assets are usually split 50/50.

There are uncontested divorces- you both agree on a marital asset split and have an agreement negotiated & signed.. Both spouses know about the 50/50 rule so you should be creative with negotiations. It can be you keep the house, but you pay off her credit card debt. In my state, California, the court has to grant the uncontested divorce in six months.

If you don't reach a financial agreement, then your divorce is contested. The court decides on a marital asset split by reading your depositions (your reasons for deserving the assets you need) and after a hearing or many hearings. This can drag on as you can imagine.

Retirement assets are split along a formula for both spouses per Federal law.

Alimony is not a free for all. There are mitigating factors such as her salary and your salary. It can be negotiated and folded in with the uncontested divorce. If you disagree, then it's contested. Again, it's not the free for all it used to be.

Child custody and support are the most important part of your case.  I didn't have children so have no knowledge of how it works in court.

I agree with Elle about putting your children front and center. She is their mom. You want the kids to love and respect you.

Lastly, don't expect the court to bend the law to what you want it to be. The divorce rate across the US is 45%. Those are thousands of cases in my state per year with too few family court judges. You follow what they say or the case will take a very long time.

It will also be very, very expensive if it's a long haul case. Lawyers charge $400 an hour in my area.

Good luck to you and your kids.

Last edited by MJM017 (July 14, 2021 11:30 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 15, 2021 6:23 am  #5

Go see a lawyer.  ASAP.  In fact, see several of them, as any lawyer you consult even for an initial consultation cannot then represent your wife.  You can google "super-lawyers" in family law in your state (provided you're in the US); ask when you consult them if they have experience in "high-conflict" divorces if you believe your wife will contest your terms.  My experience was that free initial consultations are less available now then they were.

Your lawyer can tell you what divorce law is in your state.  Some states allow "fault" divorces, some don't.  Some states require mediation if there are minor children at home.  

As MJM says, above, you are likely to find that although you don't want to "give" her anything, the law presumes that any and all marital assets (and debts) are to be split evenly.  Some states make exceptions for various assets brought into the marriage and kept separate, or for inheritances.  You lawyer will be your best source of information here.  

If your wife isn't ready to reveal to the world publicly that she is a lesbian, you might find that gives you leverage to get her to deal.  

July 15, 2021 3:34 pm  #6

Great advice so far, thank you. I'll be talking to a few lawyers. And I like the privacy part. I wouldn't even consider telling anyone if she wasn't ready (I'm not a monster), but she probably wouldn't assume that and I can use that as a bargaining chip if necessary.

July 16, 2021 8:40 pm  #7

Over,

Yeah find a good lawyer.  In my area though a spouse can just look at you and say I hate you and want a divorce and they are entitled...you may not want to give her anything but  where I am the they are legally entitled..it doesnt matter if they are an axe murderer..

You may find you need to live together while spearating.... Best to get legal advice.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 19, 2021 5:23 pm  #8

I cannot overstate how important it is for you to obtain legal advice immediately.  I'm a lawyer myself, and domestic relations law is complex, not always fair and varies wildly by state.

Case in point.  My ex-wife's girlfriend had a family, too.  Under the laws of my state, my ex-wife's girlfriend will receive several thousand post-tax dollars per month from the poor straight spouse husband for several years.  The guy did nothing wrong other than not being the lesbian his ex-wife never told him she needed.  It's disgusting.

Again, be prepared to be disappointed by what the law requires.  If you make more than your wife, be prepared to be very disappointed.

July 20, 2021 9:59 am  #9

Excellent advice here.

If you're in the US, you should look up the basics on the laws in your state. Is it 'no fault'? How are assets split? Do they believe in alimony? How is child custody handled? These laws drive how assets are split. Be prepared to lose 50% of your net worth at a minimum. There are no legal tricks that can get around this.

Based on past data in these forums, wives who are GID or out are significantly more aggressive than men. Fairness doesn't seem to apply. I would prepare that this could get contentious or even violent. While this may sound impossible, plan for the worst case. Had I not recorded multiple encounters I would have lost custody of my child and been kicked out of our home due to her lies. And as a woman, she will be believed by dafault. Be prepared.

Sadly, there is no simple and fast fix in a divorce. The best advice I have is to buckle up and know that the process takes time. It will work itself out eventually. Don't allow yourself to be swept up in their drama.

Wishing you happiness and strength for the journey ahead!

Board footera