OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2016 9:15 pm  #1

Our Children

Deleted

Last edited by jkpeace (April 13, 2017 8:24 pm)

July 24, 2016 2:49 am  #2

Re: Our Children

JK:

What you're experiencing is normal. You're going through a transition in your life that you were not prepared for, and it is normal, natural and HEALTHY to be having these swings in your feelings, moods and thoughts. It would be unnormal not to react the way you are reacting, as uncomfortable as the feelings are. 

Recognize that these are feelings, and as you have already pointed out, they are fleeting, they come and go, they can change in a matter of minutes. Normal, Normal. Normal. But the danger here is in thinking that feelings are the same thing as facts. Acknowledge them, be aware of them, but don't let them make any decisions for you, without a reality check first. This is a time to keep your wits about you, and think or get advice before you do anything.

I am struck by how you say you *feel* that your STBX might be wanting to disconnect from his kids, but you didn't mention anything specific that he does that makes you feel that way (or if you did, I completely missed it).. Have you seen evidence of it, or is it a hunch with no proof, or is it an emotion that's riding piggy-back on your other emotions that are swinging back and forth? It's natural and normal for you not to be trusting him, but how do your kids react to him? Do they get the sense that he wants to disengage from them? (I don't know their ages, so I don't know if it's appropriate to ask them, but I think they would notice it; kids always seem to pick up on that stuff, whereas adults usually try to block it and ignore it or over-think things).

Your feelings are going to be on the roller coaster for a while, so don't confuse your feelings with thought processes, that's all I'm trying to get at. What you're feeling is normal, and the feelings will change and change and change again for probably a little while. Be aware of them, but just because you feel something doesn't mean it's true and doesn't mean you have to do anything about them. Keep your brain firmly engaged at all times.

And when all is said and done, you can plan for the future but you cannot control it, and you cannot control anyone else's behavior, so hard as it is, let go of that, if that's anywhere a part of this. Not being in control causes more anxiety, and anxiety causes those emotions to go swinging around again, so if you're hoping / trying / thinking to control anything other than yourself, try to let it go. Put your own oxygen mask on first; you can't help anyone else if you're unconscious. What you are feeling is normal. Some dads become even better dads than they were, some dads disappear, some work out a begrudging schedule with their exes, some take custody of their kids... that all remains to be seen. But keep your eyes open for evidence, breathe, and put the oxygen mask on,

This is hard stuff.

Last edited by BryonM (July 24, 2016 3:05 am)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

July 24, 2016 5:15 am  #3

Dear JK, 

I feel for you so much as it is so hard to let go.  So hard.  I'm still struggling.  But as Byron so wisely points out, feelings are not facts or actions.  Actions are truer indications of his commitment to your children. 

I have grown children, so it is very easy for my ex to disengage from them.  And he has.  I went to a wedding yesterday with my eldest. My ex was there.  He and his father had a chat as any other guest with another. But nothing more.  My ex didn't speak to me at all.  That was hard.  I keep thinking maybe we could be friends, but with each encounter I feel the weight of the past and all that brings up in me.  And that he keeps choosing to be cold and distant.  We have divorced.  So it should be obvious I don't matter to him.  But the truth is more complicated than that.  He does have feelings and is not strong enough to cope with speaking to me.  He has never really considered my feelings with all of his actions in the past during our long history, so it is madness to think that my feelings would be enough to prompt kind and courteous interactions now.   

Actions speak louder than words.  And if I look baldly at his actions....then I know the truth.  He avoids me as I am the detritus he would rather avoid seeing from the bust up and subsequent rubble.  And that is hard to stomach from the person I thought of as my best friend and lover.  

I sat in a beautiful wedding ceremony yesterday hearing the happy couple swear faithfulness to one another.  And the father's speech was about loyalty to one another.  His best friend turned to my ex and said 'doesn't that make you sad?'  He covered his face and cried and had to leave the table....I was at another table, but heard this later....so I do know he feels bad, guilty or just remorseful, but he is cold cold cold to me.  A friends daughter who knew us as a couple gave me her condolences saying ' I'm so sad about you two.  I thought you were so cool!"  And I just said "yea, it sucks."  

And it does.  Sorry JK.  Be angry.  Go punch some pillows.  Sometimes physical expression like that is helpful....

August 1, 2016 7:08 pm  #4

I have to respond to the tears from the GXH. My daughter told me that when she sees her dad (GID), he always cries. I said 'what the h...does he have to cry about?' I think it's just him trying to get self-pity. The crying is an act. My GIDXH only cries because his life has been inconvenienced. He also puts on a good show around others pretending to be all sad and missing me. It's just AN ACT. It's a way to get people to feel sorry for him because his struggle has been 'sooooo hard.' When the GIDXH has been lying for 30 years, what would make them tell the truth now? 

August 2, 2016 9:17 am  #5

Honest feelings are rare. I wish you all the best on working through the pain. 

August 2, 2016 10:50 am  #6

I have never seen my ex-wife cry..  Never.   I think she is on so many anti-depressants she cannot feel anything.   No remorse.  No compassion.   Rage and hate...lots of thats.

"..And the father's speech was about loyalty to one another".       So the disloyalty of my/our spouses is truly mind boggling.    That's why in the beginning for the longest time I couldn't believe she was cheating on me.   At some point her loyalty switched from me to her girlfriend... I was discarded then like garbage (but keep the check coming).

I do not think I could sit through a wedding at this point in my life.    I do love my kids .   I at no point did not want to be a father or not want them.   The gay ex...sometimes , yes most definitely, her behavior shows she does not want to be mother anymore.    Why take vows before god if you don't mean it.  Why have kids if your rather be out having gay sex.   

No,  my kids are the best thing that ever happened and I have no problem being a father.  I do not act like a 17 year old .  I do not want to go out drinking.     I do not want to stay out overnight with a lover.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 2, 2016 12:37 pm  #7

JK

I'm sure the tears are real.  My GIDX told me often of how he has cried so much about this.  He has lost so much.  Of course they are sad.  It is a huge loss.  He also tried to explain it to me, so that I could understand.  I was often told I didn't understand.  He wanted me to be 'OK' with it.  To really see that it was just sex, not anything about me.

It was much later that he finally did say he saw how it was about me and he was sorry I didn't meet him as a grown up.  That is heartbreaking. But from what I understand your husband hasn't betrayed you for long and has come clean honestly?  That is so good.  And brave.  

But it is still a larger loss for you, the one who doesn't wish for anything more than what you signed up for at the altar to be his a wife and mother to his children.  Now he is rejecting all that.  It sucks.  I keep thinking if my GIDX came out as gay I'd be much happier, but the destruction of so much is hard no matter how much or little info you have.  

Be kind to yourself.  Your anger is better out than directed at yourself for not understanding this complete mindfuck!   

October 17, 2016 7:29 am  #8

It has been almost 3 years since my divorce from my transgender ex-husband. A couple more tortured years before, of gradually learning the truth, as he came out after 35 years of marriage.

I'm doing ok,but still trying to adjust and rebuild my lost self. We are somewhat friendly but not real friends, though he would like to be. 

My son is in his mid 20s and struggles to get through everyday. He believes his father never wanted or loved him. I thought his dad was distant always on the outside, but tried to be a good dad. My son tells me how totally alone he was when he was little, and alone with his dad. How his dad Wasn't involved in his life. I sure see this differently, now, that I understand what was always wrong. The thing is my ex really has disappeared from our son. There are attempts at reconciliation but they are met with anger and depression. My son feels that every attempt comes from his dad's needs, without genuine love or interest in his son's pain, and in recognizing the damage or trying to change. My son is devastatingly able to see actions more clearly than words. He is immobilized by his feelings of not being wanted, never being loved by his dad, feeling unloveable. My beautiful son is so totally broken. Finally he is seeing a counselor who is helping him. 
I've read that other's children have been abandoned and "struggle". The word seems so inadequate. How do other parents support them in their pain?  How do they let go of fathers that want to be in their lives, but only bring pain because they cannot be a genuinely loving parent?

October 17, 2016 12:28 pm  #9

Deb,
  You have spoken my fear.
   My transgender husband is still in the closet, except to me and his sister and a counselor.  We have a son in his mid-20s whose well-being I am most worried for if his father comes out (and if I can believe what I read and read accurately what I see in what my husband says about his "ideal," he will).  It's been hard for me to process what I've been told and have been living with, but it will be a different kind of awful for my son.  
  I also wonder what support one gives to a child confronting a transgender parent's coming out. 

October 17, 2016 2:08 pm  #10

My son did not seem surprised when he found a photo of his dad in wig, make up, and a dress. He has said he always thought something was wrong.
I assured him we both always loved him, always will. But my ex was already disengaging and my son apparently always felt not cared for! I had no idea!  By the time I finally told him I was finished, my son and I were more than ready for him to just leave.
My son is gay. He cannot accept that his dad did not understand what he was doing when he chose to marry me. My son cannot forgive that, and sees no evidence that he is or was, loved
Counseling helps. the sense of betrayal and ones life being a lie, is hard for me, but harder for my son

Board footera