OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2021 8:16 am  #1

Pride month?

Let me start by saying that I don't have anything against how people chose to live their lives, as long as they are honest with themselves and those around them.
I am having a difficult time with people celebrating Pride month this year. I feel like people are happy for my husband coming out as gay, and for "embracing who he really is". But what about the damage to me and our son? What about the pain that he has caused me? Nobody thinks about the collateral damage that his actions have caused.

June 3, 2021 10:08 am  #2

Re: Pride month?

I was just thinking this yesterday. The wounds are too raw and fresh. I have nothing against the whole "live your true self" and I have gay friends. Right now, I can not associate with them.

I used to draw rainbows, pots of gold, etc in grade school. Now if anyone sends me any pictures of rainbows, double rainbows I can't stand it! If I see one more pride flag!!!! I don't even want to eat neopolitan ice cream or sherbet.

Where is the "straight" flag? Can I fly a "STRAIGHT NOT closeted NOT confused" flag? I want to start a twitter campaign on "Live your true self WITHOUT bringing others into your chaos". When people "discover" who they are, why can't you do this on your OWN?? Not when you are married, with kids, in intimate relationship for years?? Shouldn't you have done all this before hand?

June 3, 2021 10:43 am  #3

I understand how all of you feel. I was always proud of myself for that having bias against gays and lesbians. The only gay friends I have are online.  Several years ago, my husband at the time worked with a lesbian. When she would start drinking, she made me uncomfortable because she would look at me like a man would look at a woman. I hate the fact that all of us are in this horrible nightmare of a situation. I have been deceived by a gay man and if he ever comes out, his gayness will be celebrated. I am sure that very few people will have sympathy for his deceased wife and myself. I have problems with pride week too at this time in my life. 

June 3, 2021 11:53 am  #4

It's almost funny, in a painful sort of way, how disturbed I can be at colors. Rainbows made me irrationally mad for many months.

The part that hurts in my story is that my wife won't admit her sexuality or that her affairs with women occurred. Even with 100% proof. But she likes to tease at reality. Each day (only in Pride month) she dresses our child in rainbows. The calendar she made with a giant picture of our child with a rainbow painted on their face. Can't help but feel a stab in my heart each time I see this, which is her exact goal.

It is good to celebrate who you are. It is never good to use others, deceive people, or actively cause harm in your quest to "find yourself".

June 3, 2021 1:33 pm  #5

longwayhome wrote:

Upside, I believe it’s their own hate for themselves that they take out on us, however way they can.

That's a helpful perspective I'd never considered. Thank you, Longwayhome.

June 3, 2021 7:59 pm  #6

onceuponatime wrote:

Let me start by saying that I don't have anything against how people chose to live their lives, as long as they are honest with themselves and those around them.
I am having a difficult time with people celebrating Pride month this year. I feel like people are happy for my husband coming out as gay, and for "embracing who he really is". But what about the damage to me and our son? What about the pain that he has caused me? Nobody thinks about the collateral damage that his actions have caused.

OnceUAT.....I'm not out there celebrating it. I'm at home noticing the increase of gay people I see on tv, in movies, in the supermarket, the continuing acceptance the fucking authenticity of them. You and your son aren't out there celebrating, the LGBTQ lot don't know how much you're hurting, maybe they know but the euphoria of acceptance from a new community won't allow the conversation about the hurt to happen. In all the time since the Mindfuck happened to me I haven't read/listened to one conversation about the hurt caused that hasn't been in the straightspouse community. Because....is it that we don't wish to come out as the collateral damage of somebody else coming out? Would our pain trump their happiness? No it wouldn't because we're all standing in the shadows while they bask in the sunshine

Fucking pride can go fuck itself

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

June 3, 2021 9:12 pm  #7

onceuponatime wrote:

Same here, onceuponatime.  People tune out the unpleasant truth. Some closeted LGBT were nasty pieces of work to straight spouses.   I despise homophobia, too. Don’t know why he took out all the pain and shame he felt on me.

Last edited by MJM017 (June 4, 2021 10:13 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

June 4, 2021 6:17 am  #8

But our spouses/partners are not like the people that have pride...they may want to have pride but they themselves were covert and ashamed...enough to  lie and hurt us.   

It is triggering but I remind myself, for example,  that the open gay relationship I see on TV is an honest one ..not something my GX is capable of.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 10, 2021 7:28 pm  #9

My wife came  out in March. It is raw for me. She got some pride stuff without regard to my feelings. First I was bitter and it really hurt me but as a supporter of the community at large before d day I refuse to let the few rotten apples that have ruined the lives of so many straights here ruin this flag. I have a bi sister and some gay friends. They are wonderful people and I do not want to paint them with the same brush. I currently have a giant pride flag flying in front of my house. Her idea (bi wife, high chance closeted lesbian; I had to listen to lady gaga born this way blasting from speakers in front of my house as she let my four year old hang it up _i had no idea, I am still traumatized). Some days it hurts like hell, but you know what? That flag is the key to preventing closets and ruined lives. The more visibility, the more acceptance and as a result less straights hurt. It  is hard and I am sure this post won't make me popular, but if you can embrace the flag it can slowly be liberating. Let's own the damn thing rather than have it trigger us. I see it as empowerment for the straight spouse. She sees it as her empowerment and I support her in that, but I have an alternate motive as well. Mine is an F U to the bigotry in society that led us all into so much hurt. I get the anger, our spouses are not excused for the pain they caused. All of your pain and hatred is righteous, but by taking it out on the pride flag we are inadvertently supporting the bigotry that was a major cause of our hurt. Everyone here is justified in hating the flag. It triggers me too, but I am slowly turning it around. I support a straight flag too. Maybe with a giant straight black arrow over the rainbow flag. I would love to fly it beside the pride flag. I bet then all of a sudden she would no longer fly it in front of our house. But she owes me a grand flag ceremony. Perhaps with a suitable song blasting from the speakers. She remains closeted...

June 10, 2021 7:43 pm  #10

Qwerty wrote:

......... Let's own the damn thing rather than have it trigger us..........

Not ready yet. I still grind my heel into the rainbow flag painted on the street in my capital city 
and can't help but be happy that the last time I saw it...it looked drab, dirty and uncared for

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera