OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2016 6:12 pm  #1

Your feedback on facilitating MOM discussion

I'd like feedback on this idea -

Because staying in a Mixed Orientation Marriage is a topic many straight spouses seriously consider, should this forum contain a separate discussion group for those conversations?  I would consider it a topic at least as important as the "Is s/he gay?" question and therefore deserving of its own tab.

If a separate discussion group does make sense, I'd like to see people who have had actual experience staying in a MOM be given the opportunity to have summary posts of the MOM part of their story stickied into "My MOM didn't work", "My MOM is working" and "I'm not sure if my MOM will work in the long run" folders at the top of the discussion.

My hope is that having designated places for "pro" and "con" MOM points of view will allow newcomers to educate themselves and then ask questions accordingly.  That seems like a better approach than newcomers asking a question and then feeling bombarded with an education.  No one intends newbies to be soaked fire-hose style, but that is exactly what tends to happen.  My hope is that structuring the forum will lead to more useful discussions.

Thoughts?

I'm also wondering if a separate discussion group for open marriage conversations would be useful.

Last edited by Cameron (October 7, 2016 6:14 pm)

October 7, 2016 6:17 pm  #2

Re: Your feedback on facilitating MOM discussion

Yes, Yes, Yes.  I'm interested in everyone's opinions, regardless of who you are.  Fantastic idea. 

October 7, 2016 6:33 pm  #3

I think it's a good idea. Then (if necessary) people can be directed to or informed about the closed MOM groups.

Maybe some people from the closed MOM groups could monitor or contribute to the public/open MOM discussion board.

Good idea Cam 

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

October 8, 2016 5:07 am  #4

I also think this would be a good idea.  As someone who is married to a closeted cross-dressing transgendered person, the issues in my MOM are somewhat different than for those in a gay/straight relationship (no move to an open marriage, for one).  

October 9, 2016 2:07 pm  #5

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I had never heard of a MOM before.  But I would say it's relevant to this discussion board I hope the admin's take your suggestion.  
Vicky

October 9, 2016 2:56 pm  #6

Definitely a good idea.  Not all MOMs are failures and having support for those who wish to make it work without all the negativity from those whose MOMs did not work out would be great.  Those who didn't succeed are entitled to their feelings but those who are newbies also need to know that there are those who DO succeed and all is not hopeless.  I hope that the admins can do this.  

Denise in NJ

October 10, 2016 10:05 pm  #7

just want to add that of course a MOM is not a new thing.  Many many many generations of MOM's have preceded ours.

There's a member of my family who doesn't know he's in one but he has been in it so long now that I think he will be better off dying from it than waking up to it.  I too was ignorant of the fact I was in a MOM until a few years ago and I am divorced now.  I hate being alone at this time in my life but it's still a relief, better than remaining in a marriage that had gone toxic. 

I sometimes wonder if knowing you are in a MOM isn't applying further pressure to keep trying to make it work rather than making it easier to say no I want to leave.  Mind you I didn't know and there was still a lot of pressure to stay.  Social and economic and also of course, being a monogamist.  It was against the grain of my nature to get a divorce.

I bit myself off a big bowl of tears by staying with him but now I finally get to shed some of those tears and it is painful but also a relief.

October 11, 2016 10:38 am  #8

Lily,
  Thank you so much for giving voice to the pressure I myself have been experiencing to stay in my marriage.  The pressures are so many, external (social and financial) and internal (all the internalized expectations that because marriages are "forever" we can never say "enough").
   I fight with myself all the time, second guessing my second guessing.  Knowing others make their MOMs work, I feel there's pressure on me to make ours work, even though I know that my spouse will not make the same effort or expect himself to.  
  Here's the realization I had this morning, one more pressure to stay, one reason it's so hard for me to call it quits: when my spouse came out to me, I felt, as many have, as though my past was suddenly all a lie, that what I experienced was all called into question because my spouse was not the person I thought he was then.  My spouse kept saying, "no, what happened happened as you experienced it then," when the fact is that we always view the past through present eyes, and when the present changes so very much, we view the past through those changes.  Our present selves are always in a relationship to our past selves, and when so great a disjunction opens between them, one precipitated not by us but by our spouses, we feel alienated from our pasts, unable to create the narrative that can unite them.  That sense of loss, that my past was all a lie, was externally generated, by my spouse's disclosure.
  My spouse, however, was also right: the past did happen as it happened, when the past was the present it was real, and I, then, incorporated it into myself and into the narrative of my life and my marriage and my self. And now, contemplating leaving my marriage, I realize that I feel colossally sad that I will lose the other half of the equation: my past self's sense of the experiences as they happened.  To retain that past creates another pressure, one internally generated, to stay. 

October 11, 2016 1:17 pm  #9

thanks, yes it's extraordinary that sense of seeing your past in a new light.  It was so intense for me I literally fell to the floor!

But as you say we are always revising our past in the light of new information - it happens naturally and is normally quite comfortable - this took time.  A huge disconnect.  Now I still have my past, I cleanse it I comfort my past self with my tears.

A woman has written a post in the stories section - adel and then some numbers - and the way she describes her husband's sexuality is a lot like mine was.  I saw his blushes and simpering over his memories of the men in his youth.  I am looking at a completely different man than the warm fuzzy one who inhabited my memories.  

I don't think you can unknow it - my memory, my map of my past was changed and I got definition.  Now my perceptions align with my belief - an internal distress has eased.  The worst of the shock was the recognition he had deliberately fostered confusion me, watched me suffer and done nothing.  That warm fuzziness was real, that was the affection I was showering on him.

you can't escape the sad.  it hurts.  I always end up feeling grateful to shed some tears now tho, I do end up feeling lighter.  

Last edited by lily (October 11, 2016 1:21 pm)

Board footera