OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2021 5:22 pm  #21

Re: Snooping for Curious Spouses

Great post.

And yet..as I snooped and searched the question that always I always kept asking myself is "why do I have to do this?  What kind of person makes their spouse resort to this?

Just the fact that we have to do this says so much. Tells us all we need to know about what  our spouses really think of us.

Follow up post..working title.."Knowing when to stop snooping"

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 4, 2021 6:56 pm  #22

Rob wrote:

.....Follow up post..working title.."Knowing when to stop snooping"

So you mean your going to start your own thread titled " knowing when to stop snooping "  ??

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 4, 2021 10:15 pm  #23

I wish these threads had thumbs up or down icons  available for each comment!!   

Last edited by 38yrsGAMEOVER (February 5, 2021 10:43 am)

February 4, 2021 11:35 pm  #24

I never even looked at his computer screen let alone his phone or tablet.  It was like I just never did it, maybe there should be a post entitled when to start snooping as well as when to stop.

From the non-snooper corner - I got what I needed when I changed my question from asking him are you gay to asking myself why did I keep ending up asking that question again and I searched online, why do straight women marry gay men I asked, I found the straight spouse forum straightaway.  I read three posts, it was enough, I learned about gay in denial, he had been lying to me.  I literally fell to the floor with shock!  I was able to give myself the peaceful luxury of not second guessing myself any more.   

February 8, 2021 2:35 pm  #25

LostAtSea, the more I've thought about it, your Amazon history search is brilliant. They can't remove this without deleting your account. I will add this in now - thank you!

I also did that "crawling up the alphabet" trick, but instead of email it was with her web browser history. She was hiding reading lesbian coming out stories. The IP location lookup is great also. Will add these in as well!

On Verizon, did you have to sign up to anything to see the texts? I can see the number of text messages sent, but not their contents. Most are iMessage, but some are not. This makes me think this is an optional service they have that I don't have activated. Hmm...

LostAtSea wrote:

I am seriously thinking about going into a private investigator career. I have always enjoyed it and for me I'm pretty good at it. My stbx was shocked I could do all this. I say NEVER underestimate me. And now I have this "evidence" FOREVER that he said "some things are private". For all I am concerned, when you are MARRIED, the only "private" thing you do is go to the restroom and groom yourself. Other than that, NOTHING should be private, esp your "desires" to change genders and sexuality.

He is highly educated, but apparently lacks intelligence; however when your wife is highly intelligent, you DO NOT stand a chance! I say search away if your gut tells you to!

Well said. This is exactly how I feel!

SuzanneH, your story is inspirational. Given what we've all faced, hearing how others have overcome lies to find the truth is so comforting. I'm sorry that occurred, but kudos to you for uncovering what he was unable to admit.

Rob wrote:

Great post.

And yet..as I snooped and searched the question that always I always kept asking myself is "why do I have to do this? What kind of person makes their spouse resort to this?

Just the fact that we have to do this says so much. Tells us all we need to know about what our spouses really think of us.

Follow up post..working title.."Knowing when to stop snooping"

Ouch. So true. Definitely would need this future post!

Last edited by Upside (February 8, 2021 2:37 pm)

February 8, 2021 2:52 pm  #26

I’m also curious if you can get the content of text messages online from AT&T. I tried when I was searching, but couldn’t find any way to do it.. I googled it, but nothing. 
I did find Dr Fone. After installing it, and plugging in his old phone, it showed only PARTS of some text messages. It showed the entire messages of normal ones, but the ones that were partial were the ones that looked suspicious. These were deleted texts. It was supposed to get them all....deleted, too. It didn’t get ANY deleted texts on my iPad. I did it just to check. And, it didn’t get as much on his new phone, either. He was with me when I did it, so he was actually trying to help me find stuff.. (he’s come a long way...wanting to give full disclosure).

February 8, 2021 3:30 pm  #27

Upside - For Verizon, I did not have to sign up for optional service that I am aware of.  I sign in to the account, then hover over the sign out and there is a drop down that is labeled "text online". Click on "text online" and Verizon will require you to sign in again. This is when you can see all text message history contents. If you compare the contents to the date stamp time log, you will notice some discrepancies. And I've noticed the entire text history content does not always display either.

Now if your stbx is smart enough, they can go in and delete it. Just like I did mind in case, my stbx is hacking into my account (LOL). If the text content history online gets deleted, then there is no chance of retrieving it.

However if you can access the phone, you can switch the "iMessage" feature off and you should be able to discover more text messages to all contacts made.

I would put a two authenicator factor on your phone bill and any other important accounts you don't want your stbx snooping into...in case they learn to be a PI.

Good Luck!

Last edited by LostAtSea (February 8, 2021 3:44 pm)

February 9, 2021 10:07 am  #28

SusanneH wrote:

I’m also curious if you can get the content of text messages online from AT&T. I tried when I was searching, but couldn’t find any way to do it.. I googled it, but nothing. 
I did find Dr Fone. After installing it, and plugging in his old phone, it showed only PARTS of some text messages. It showed the entire messages of normal ones, but the ones that were partial were the ones that looked suspicious. These were deleted texts. It was supposed to get them all....deleted, too. It didn’t get ANY deleted texts on my iPad. I did it just to check. And, it didn’t get as much on his new phone, either. He was with me when I did it, so he was actually trying to help me find stuff.. (he’s come a long way...wanting to give full disclosure).

This is a good point! If the storage on the device is smaller, then this data will be overwritten. The data that remains can be broken or nonexistent. This happened on one device as well.

And good to hear that your husband has turned a new leaf into open communication! That's the dream.

LostatSea - Thank you! Will flow these thoughts in. The text online setting isn't enabled on my end, but this is a great option and I'm kicking myself for finding this now. You should be a PI!

A good point of using two-factor authentication as a way to safely protect an account, too!

February 19, 2021 1:20 pm  #29

I would like to add to the above information that Upside has so graciously shared.

How to tell if an Android Phone is rooted: When an Android phone is rooted some of the security protocols are overridden. Some vault applications require androids to be rooted or require a "jailbreak" on an iphone. These vault apps are disguised apps that are used to store other apps, photos, communications, etc.
For an Android you can go to setting>Device>status. if the status is "official" it is not rooted, if status is "custom" it is rooted.

Google Play: To find out if any suspicious apps are being used by your partner open the google play app>hamburger menu>My apps and games> choose installed or library to see which apps have been downloaded. Some vault apps are third party though and not in the play store.

Google photos: this is an app that some people forget to clean out. It sits in the background and uploads photos to a google account. If the photo is uploaded before it is deleted off the phone it may still be in google photos.

Google drive: Each gmail account will have its own google drive where photos can be stored. If you can open their gmail, you can open their google drive.

Google account: When gmail account is open, click on their photo icon in top right corner and click "manage my google account. In the manage my google account, there is a tab called data & personalization. You can turn on activity controls so you can view their web & app activity, location history and you tube history.

Chrome Passwords: I was able to access a list of all saved passwords in chrome by clicking the password entry bar at the facebook login page. An option pops up to manage passwords. It takes you to a list of accounts for which passwords are saved.  If you know the device password you can see the passwords for each account by clicking the eye icon to the right..

Facebook: if you can login to the facebook account, click the hamburger menu at top right, go to settings, scroll down and click on activity log. You can see complete history of everything they do there and filter it by topic.
When in Facebook you can also open their facebook messenger

February 19, 2021 2:35 pm  #30

Thank you, Hawklover!

These tips are amazing. Will add all of these in right now.

Thanks again and very grateful for sharing your knowledge on these platforms!

Update: added credits for Hawklover and LostAtSea in their respective suggestions. Felt unfair to not credit each, but happy to remove them if this is an issue to anyone.

Last edited by Upside (February 19, 2021 2:43 pm)

Board footera