OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2021 1:13 pm  #1

If you and your spouse believe your marriage is worth saving...

To new members considering the possibility of a MOM, 

If you and your spouse believe your marriage is worth saving please post about it here. There are a few of us that will try our best to navigate this with you. It isn’t always easy, but anything worth saving can be worth fighting for if BOTH partners are truly on the same page. As for myself, I’m one year out from my husband revealing he’s bi, although I’ve suspected as much from the first weeks of our relationship 30 years ago. He’s finally accepted this aspect of himself. It’s been a roller coaster for both of us but it’s getting easier as the days go by and we plan to continue to be committed to one another and work on us. You can also message me if you’d like. 

Tangled

January 24, 2021 9:00 am  #2

Re: If you and your spouse believe your marriage is worth saving...

Hi I'm in a MOM.. Husband told me in 2012. Life carried on as we were both working and bringing up 3 children. Fast forward to 2018 and things came to a head. He had some sort of mental breakdown  which led me to have a terrible physical and emotional breakdown. Things are better now . Still have things to work on but things are calmer

January 26, 2021 5:34 am  #3

We could on a practical level except how do you get the love back ? (me) 

January 26, 2021 2:36 pm  #4

What if we don't know where we stand? My husband admits to being attracted to men and wanting to explore that part of his sexuality, but he is unable (or unwilling?) to label himself as bisexual or gay.  He processes things alone, and I am tired of being shut out.  I am feeling myself edging closer to the door.  Every time he feels me take one step away, he opens up again, but how do I know if he's being honest with me and/or with himself?  He disclosed in March 2020 and almost a year later everything is still about as clear as mud.  I am tired of going through the motions with no real clarity.  The practical part of me has already started planning an exit strategy. Like Virion, I believe we could stay together on a practical level - we get along well enough, and we could be monogamous.  But is that enough?  Will anything ever be enough again?  

January 26, 2021 3:57 pm  #5

“Will anything ever be enough again?” TTSP

I wonder when it will be better again, too. He isn’t out having sex with men any more, and is actively trying to engage in our marriage. This stinkin’ pandemic isn’t helping AT ALL. I’m completely housebound since I’m so high risk, and have only been to Dr appointments since March 7th of 2020, so learning to ‘have fun’ again is almost impossible. We’ve played dominoes, etc......but, I’d sure like to “DO” something just to see if we can!
We argue at the drop of a hat.....just say the wrong word, and the good vibes we’ve been having go right down the drain. A few days of him being loving (and, I’m loving back as long as he’s being nice), and then one of those darn ‘discussions’, and we’re tense again. 
We know it’ll never be the same; not after finding he cheated our entire relationship until May 2019. Until then our marriage was ‘pure’/unblemished—-as far as I knew. He was able to pretend everything was normal. But, now....I keep waiting for my feelings to get closer to the ‘love line’ on the graph rather than the ‘not so sure’ side....and, it’s awful. 
I still hope it’s worth saving. We were really best friends before I found out. At least he pretended to be.....He says he really enjoyed those years with me. 
For now, I do know he’s committed to our marriage, and is more so now than a year ago, which is good. I actually see him with hurt feelings, whereas before, it was just showing as anger. that’s a move forward.
We’re going to start couples counseling soon......it’ll be online, too. As soon as i can get my butt in gear. (Haven’t been very well & not sleeping...health related, not emotional).
Well, I, for one, am going to keep trying at this point since he is, and he also isn’t showing any desire to be with men (for now...that’s one of the hard things, isn’t it).

Last edited by SusanneH (January 26, 2021 3:57 pm)

January 26, 2021 9:53 pm  #6

My D day was early March of 2020 and it’s been a roller coaster ever since. My husband wants to stay married and sometimes that shows, many times it doesn’t. I have noticed that I am more relaxed now, less anger... I can even say that our friendship is improving. We have started work with a counselor, the first meeting was just me, second was just him and our first joint session is this week. I have so much work to do to be able to trust him again and get my confidence back. My biggest concern is that I allowed my own sexuality to just disappear over the years while he was discovering his. When he stopped showing sexual interest in me, I believed it and stopped asking. Now that I know why it went away/wasn’t there, I am very much not willing to have a non sexual relationship.

I appreciate all the support from these boards. There are good days, bad days, very good days and very bad days... I just hope that pursuing a MOM is right for me.

January 31, 2021 8:35 am  #7

Reading the reactions I was wondering whether some of these not-straight spouses have an "internal picture" what a real love relation in marriage is actually like. Maybe they don't know how it feels, what the depth of connectedness could be, the security and trust that should exist and more aspects like this are missing or limited in their understanding.  
Could this be the reason they suppose it's alright, enough and "doable" because it's simply unknown, and they can't imagine what more there should be. (Or it's only understood in a abstract rational way, not an inner felt experience).
Just a thought.

This can (and does) also happen in straight marriages, but I think MOM's (gay/lesbian) are more prone to it because the positive force sexuality can be in a relation is lacking (the emotional connectedness that could result). Next to that childhood experience is very important. The example you get from your parents relation. Some are lucky and learn as a child what love looks like, but some are not so lucky and this image is blurred and incomplete. 

For my wife it was a long way to overcome these hurdles. But she did, it centered around learning what love really is. In heart and mind.
I think it's precisely this aspect that runs like a thread through her story.

January 31, 2021 2:44 pm  #8

Dutchman wrote:

Reading the reactions I was wondering whether some of these not-straight spouses have an "internal picture" what a real love relation in marriage is actually like. Maybe they don't know how it feels, what the depth of connectedness could be, the security and trust that should exist and more aspects like this are missing or limited in their understanding.  
Could this be the reason they suppose it's alright, enough and "doable" because it's simply unknown, and they can't imagine what more there should be. (Or it's only understood in a abstract rational way, not an inner felt experience).
Just a thought.

For my wife it was a long way to overcome these hurdles. But she did, it centered around learning what love really is. In heart and mind.
I think it's precisely this aspect that runs like a thread through her story.

I think you have a point. While  we were working on healing from my husband’s cheating, one of the things he did was write a ‘letter’ about why he wanted to restore our relationship and marriage. The first thing he put was that he “didn’t know much (if anything) about love when we first got together...” And, I can tell you that it’s a true statement. As hard as he’s been trying to repair the damage he’s done, the major hurdle has him not being able to truly show love and affection. This has been the common thread throughout our reconciliation when we discuss how things are going. I constantly point it out.....yup, I know that he’s heard it enough by now, and if he hasn’t shown it yet, he probably can’t and won’t.....That’s one of the things that’s stopping us from moving forward. 
When I say my morning prayers, I’ve always said “thank you for always giving me Unconditional Love *here on Earth* my entire life”....and, I had. First, my parents & family; then, my first husband; and, along came my current husband......and, after all this happened, I had to change my prayer for the first time since I was an adult..... It’s sad. 
He says he loves me (even though since disclosure, he’s admitted he never wanted to get married....I know why now), and I tell him actions.......actions...... 
When I tell him that I don’t feel loved, or that he doesn’t show love,...he doesn’t understand.... He just plain doesn’t ‘get it’. I’ve got to decide if I can live that way. 
I’m not sure if his parents were loving. His father passed away when my husband was 17, so I never knew him. And, what I knew of his mother...well, she frequently said “I love you” to her sons and me, she wasn’t what I would call “loving”...... I came from a family that talked/ hugged a lot!!!!, did things together, etc.... it seems like a dream family. 

Good observation!

Board footera