OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2020 9:59 pm  #11

Re: When you cant even be angry and yet all you feel is devastation

Troubled soul,
  You are doing a very difficult thing.  You did a difficult thing, separating your sleeping and living spaces. And it hurts. 
    Your husband wants to change himself, but he also wants you to continue as you were to him.  He wants your emotional support while at the same time dealing you a deep blow.  He can't see that changing himself requires that he no longer can expect for you to be for him what you were.  He makes his appeal to you based on how difficult this will be for him.  Yes.  It will.  That's called consequences.  His decision has consequences for him, although of course he would prefer to get what he wants and not to lose anything he already has.  But when you go to your wife and tell her that you hate being male, and you are thinking of transitioning to live as if you were a woman, you have altered the terms of your marriage contract, and you can't expect to live by the old terms anymore.  And to continue to expect she do so is unrealistic and unreasonable. And reflects a certain entitlement.  

July 13, 2020 8:04 am  #12

longwayhome wrote:

I

Your post seems to indicate your husband is projecting some type of new life, that seems to exclude you. Although admitting it will make him sad not to have you there to share. Share what, his transitioning?
I think he is coming to terms with the fact that my decision to divorce will not change so he was talking about his life without me where we won't be able to even talk to each other about anything like we have done everyday for the last decade. That he fears that because of his choice, not only is the marriage over but so will be our friendship. The separate rooms, separate sleeping etc only made it more clear to him the finality of it all.

"You took a big one today. Be proud of that. Recognize the effort this is taking of you and be gentle with yourself"

Thank you for making me look at it that way. I am so absorbed by pain that I would not have recognized progress.

July 13, 2020 8:16 am  #13

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Troubled soul,

Your husband wants to change himself, but he also wants you to continue as you were to him.  He wants your emotional support while at the same time dealing you a deep blow. . And reflects a certain entitlement.  
Full disclosure - I am beginning to realize that maybe I have put him on this path of entitlement. Initially when he came out to me first, after i was done with the shock and sadness, i had been telling him that he will always have my support. That I always wish him well.. no matter what the circumstances. I felt so sad for him that life had done this to him that I just wanted to make it right..That even if his family who has historically repressed him in early childhood due to which we are standing at this juncture today, does not support him, I will. I asked to see his morphed photos from the app. He did not initiate. I told him he looked stunning (which he fucking did). He had morphed one of our couple photos and then said "we would make a very beautiful lesbian couple" to which i said, I am very straight. He said he knew and  understood and cried and hugged me.

These were all early mistakes right? I am showing support and continuing to be his sanctuary, then why will he not come to me..I need to do better. I don't want to make more mistakes and then go about correcting them. Just that it's hard to figure out what i am doing right now.

July 13, 2020 8:43 am  #14

Making a mistake by wanting to support your spouse, even if that later turns out to be something that makes separation more painful, is not a mistake to beat yourself up over.  A clear path with no mistakes is, I'm afraid, an impossible ideal.  Maybe the best to be hoped for is that you make whatever mistakes you do make in the spirit of kindness.  

It is really hard to stop being the person who supports and the person he comes to.  It requires you to draw boundaries, change your expectations of yourself and him, and alter behaviors that are contrary to the way you've previously operated in the relationship, and to convey to him that he also must alter his behavior and expectations.  There really is no blueprint or easy, painless way to do this.  It's one reason some people decide to make a clean break as soon as is possible.  

You have been very clear to yourself and to him that you are straight.  He has decided he's a lesbian.  He would therefore like for you to be something you're not: a lesbian.  You have also been very clear to him and to yourself that this reality means you must divorce.  That's the north star you steer by; what happens as you sail will be affected by a lot of "weather," which you will weather as you're able to at the time.  The goal, though, is to plot your course by that "star."  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 13, 2020 8:45 am)

July 13, 2020 10:31 am  #15

i feel so much anger. I have destroyed so many things in our home this morning. He is off to work. I couldn't stand out pictures toegther and we had them eeyrwhere in our house. I saw his computer and saw him chat with trans community.. his profile pic was that of his new avatar. I was so angry i destroyed so many things in our home.. i took apart all our photographs.. knifed them, tore them apart..i feel such deep anguish... his fucking profile photo is that of his trans version. i just want to burn the house down and myself

July 13, 2020 11:01 am  #16

Take a breath.  Get out of the house for a while.  Walk.  If you are so desperate as to think of killing yourself call the suicide hotline: 1-800-273-8255.

It's pretty common that by the time they come out they're deeply immersed and invested in their new persona. 

July 13, 2020 3:32 pm  #17

Troubled Soul, How are you feeling? Getting through each day, One at a time....sometimes One minute; one second at a time is all we can do.....but, it's good enough! Get through one, and then another...they add up.
(((((HUGS)))))

July 13, 2020 4:30 pm  #18

Troubled soul, Do you have a trusted friend or family member whom you could live with?  If not, please call your emergency line for help. The doctor on call may send you to a hospital for a day or two for observation.  This destruction of items in the home is very, very concerning.

I have had family who have had to do this to pull themselves out of deep pain that may have triggered a short-term fugue or psychosis. They were assigned a social worker and a therapist and a psychiatrist.

Please let us know how you are. Thinking good thoughts for you.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 14, 2020 3:23 pm  #19

Yesterday was really rough. I am in constant touch with my therapist who is also our couple's therapist so she is helping me out a lot in terms of the day to day dealing of things. She knows both sides and their challenges so i feel i can be safe with her. I am trying to take things slower than i was before and it seems to be giving me some peace. So i will continue that strategy and then re-assess. I spoke to my therapist about trauma bonding and she had a different take on our particular situation which seemed more balanced and slow yet steady to me..so i feel better about it. Rest, I am still very much struggling and even though hating the universe right now,  I feel grateful that i have people who are complete strangers who care about how am i. That thought enlivens my heart. Thank you to all o fyou

July 15, 2020 1:55 am  #20

Oh my goodness, thank you for keeping us updated troubledsoul. Today I kept thinking about you and what you’re going through and wishing there’s some way to help. You are doing a great job, just keep riding the ups and downs and observe yourself with no judgement. There are no right or wrong choices during this time.

One podcast was talking about how anger is a step up from depression, so that’s good, and plotting revenge is even better yet, because it means you’re actively planning and moving forward. Eventually (they say) we get to a place of acceptance and interest in our new life and freedom... all that to say, please don’t feel bad about any emotions you need to go through.

I wanted to say also, that I do not at all think you made mistakes by offering to go through the tradition with him, and then realizing that that would not be good for you. You were being noble and generous and selfless to offer (what a kind and loving person you are!) but it was like a person with only a jacket in freezing weather offering to give it up for someone else. Such an awesome offer, but horrifically selfish of anyone to accept it from you.

I too offered to help my husband transition, and over the years I’ve sacrificed every part of me to try to help him find happiness.  It’s too much. And he was too selfish. He took and took with no remorse, thanks or concern for my well being. Even then, he gave up trying to become his “real self” and is back in some sort of closet. Now it’s time for me to be free.

Board footera