OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2019 12:12 am  #1

How to get out of the win/lose game with a narcissist

So, I keep thinking about how my husband is all about winning, and how he keeps making me the “loser.”  He is the good guy, I am the bad.  He is the victim, I am the bully.  It is upsetting.  It causes a lot of fear for me.  I am not a competitive person.  Over the years, my husband and I have talked here and there about school and how it was for us as kids and teens, because both of us had some good college scholarships. My husband has always emphasized how he was going to be the very best and prove to everyone he was the best and he worked so so hard to prove it to everyone.  Meanwhile, I was kind of a daydream kid who just thought about stuff and did the work—usually anyway—and sometimes I did the work late because of kind teachers—and I just got good grades.  Because I was just me, doing what I liked, and I liked school and tests and math and writing,  hahaha.  I mention this not about school grades so long ago, but because it has always struck me how my husband’s goal was not even to “do his best,” but to really really prove to everyone that he was the very best.

When we play board games, as well, he is super competitive, and he has gotten mad at me before for winning a board game, like telling me I am a haughty winner and swiping all the pieces off and huffing about it.  But I am not a sore or bratty winner—just happened to win that game.  I love board games!  And when we do play a game, I strategize and play that game! But I do not care one bit if I win or lose.  I work it hard, but  I just like playing. (Except Scrabble, ick ick ick). My husband has told me he HATES board games.  Although I notice he plays them with the cool teenagers at family reunions.

So now I keep thinking that his life rules are just a win/lose game, and there is only one winner in his game: him.  No room for anyone else, and it has been my job to do all the work to make it possible for him to do whatever he wants whenever he wants and win!  Including, he has required me to take on the role of “bad guy.” And this is getting pretty intense lately. 

So, I have felt anxious:  how do I “win” when I am I am up against such an adversary?  And especially because I do not like that win/lose thing, and life is not a game!

And I realized: part of the abuse is him forcing me to play this arbitrary, destructive game. And, I realized:  I do not need to win it.  I just need to step out of the room.  I choose my own rules.  He can stay in his room and decide there is a winner and a loser.  He can keep telling me he is a winner and I am a loser while he sits alone with his crazy winning crown!   He can keep telling everyone he wants to that he is the winner and I am a loser.  And maybe some people will think, wow, you sure have a cool crown there.  But I do not have to play, not at all.  It is not even that I “win” by leaving his game—I do not even need to think about winning and losing, so I do not “win” and  I do not “lose”; I just do not accept that objective at all.   Not at all.  I just get to be!  I just get to be me.

Last edited by OnMyOwnTwoFeet (May 2, 2019 7:53 am)

May 2, 2019 12:54 am  #2

Re: How to get out of the win/lose game with a narcissist

yes exactly.  that is the conclusion I reached - walk away.  There's no winning there's only no more losing but that is priceless.

I came up with a saying - Lies win the day every day, even though it is truth that remains at the end of the day.

Seems to be the way it goes.  

In the period before the divorce and separation was complete he was like very edgy about wanting me to keep quiet.  And he has continued to spin his lies about me ever since.

good luck, it's a difficult time, wishing you all the best.  The more family and friends you can confide in, the better.

May 2, 2019 8:51 am  #3

So, OMOTF, as i was reading along in your post, my first reaction was "You don't win.  You take yourself out of the game."  Then, lo and behold, what do I read?  You, saying exactly that! 
  Your post is full of such fine insights, including the one that he cast you in the role of bad guy, and then manipulated you into playing that role.  In my marriage, I went from being cast in the (positive) role of pale shadow of his beloved sister (with the consolation that although I couldn't measure up to her, he could at least have sex with me--he actually wrote to me once, "She couldn't teach me about sex.") to being cast as another version of his abusive mother (and then he manipulated me into taking on her characteristics).  
   I, like you, always felt like "I was just me," and wanted to "[do] what I liked."  And I always wanted him to love me, for who I was.  I used to think he did, but after the disclosure, and my experience since then, I think he never really did.  He loved what I could provide for him, what need I could serve for him (he actually said that, too: "While you're away, I'll think about what I want from you.").  
  Sobering realizations, but necessary, because they help us with the emotional distancing that we need to fully accept the reality and to move forward into our own lives.

May 2, 2019 9:54 am  #4

Yes just walk away. 

Bound your losses, disengage, and put that energy into a new life, however defined.

May 2, 2019 9:16 pm  #5

This may sound odd, but I wonder if he even sees you as an adversary. Perhaps he thinks of you as a prize rather than a person.

Maybe he sees you as the 'crown' he 'earned' in winning his battle with himself. He's not gay! Look! He has a magical crown that proves he's straight! No wonder he's fighting so hard to keep you. He already won! How dare the 'crown' get legs and walk away! You're supposed to stay exactly where he put you and where everyone can see.

If he doesn't have the crown of 'wife' to wear he would have to admit that he was a fraud and a cheat. A loser. And he can't have that.

But I believe there's a greater power at work that's revealing you as the person you actually are and not the accessory he keeps trying to force you to be.

Sorry you are having it so hard and that breaking out of this curse is so painful. I hope things get better for you soon.

May 4, 2019 11:39 pm  #6

Thanks to everyone for your responses here.  Whirligig, thanks for that “prize” POV.  I have been coming to something like that too—I think I expressed something like this next idea in my OP—I am a thing that serves a need.  My voice and talents and kindness and insight are all good when they serve his interests.  But if I have my own voice or opinion, it is a threat to him.  And especially if somehow I say or do anything that suggests that he might not be “right,” or “good.”

May 6, 2019 7:12 am  #7

Have you all heard about fish love?  Someone who says "Oh I love fish"...and happily eats the salmon and enjoys it utterly.  Versus The person who says "OH I love fish"...and keeps a beautiful well tended aquarium.  
That is the difference here - many GID spouses, love us as in they use (eat) us up.  Whereas I hope to be loved fully by a person who actually LOVES me and isn't in it for the benefits of me while using me and not caring for my life and needs.  

Last edited by Leah (May 6, 2019 7:12 am)

May 6, 2019 10:09 pm  #8

I can so relate with the couple last posts, Onmytwofeet, Leah and Whirglig.

What I realized in the last months leading to the end of our marriage and separation, was that he never once fought for me. He just wanted to win the battle and prove that he’s not gay. I’m the biggest proof, the crown to wear that he’s straight. He worked all his life to have this proof. How dare I decide to leave!
He never once tried to show his love to me or win me back. All he focused on was to prove to me that I’m delusional. They love the closet more than us. It’s a battle no won will ever win. The winner is the person who leaves this rabbit hole. Disengage, leave and don’t look back.

May 7, 2019 11:33 am  #9

"The only winning move is not to play"

December 9, 2019 11:44 pm  #10

This is helpful. Thank you!

Board footera