OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2021 11:24 am  #21

Re: So confused by all the secrets..

Hoping you're doing well WF2020.

For those struggling with this and looking for a resource, I'd recommend 'Not “Just Friends”: Rebuilding Trust and Recovering Your Sanity After Infidelity'. The quotes below may be relevant:

A useful measure for whether a relationship is a friendship or an affair is the degree of secrecy that surrounds it.

And:

Apologies and promises alone are not enough to rebuild trust; reassurance comes only with observable change.

Fingers crossed that you are on your path towards a happier life (with the secrets)!

Last edited by Upside (May 13, 2021 11:29 am)

May 14, 2021 10:43 pm  #22

I had these suspicions in my own vault. I also felt bad for him. I have to admit that has changed. I am ashamed to say I brought up the suspicions in a heated exchange.  I then quickly tried to bring up a female cheating partners, but it was too late. He was furious. I’m now terrified about legal abuse tactics and the potential fallout. I feel like such an idiot for letting my emotions get out of control. I’m really just upset with myself.

May 14, 2021 11:54 pm  #23

WF2020 wrote:

I had these suspicions in my own vault. I also felt bad for him. I have to admit that has changed. I am ashamed to say I brought up the suspicions in a heated exchange.  I then quickly tried to bring up a female cheating partners, but it was too late. He was furious. I’m now terrified about legal abuse tactics and the potential fallout. I feel like such an idiot for letting my emotions get out of control. I’m really just upset with myself.

Him being furious at you for his bad behaviour is typical of cheating abusers.  Dont be hard on yourself - believe me we've all lost our cool on occasion. You are contending with a huge emotional storm.

Breathing exercises helped me, and centering, helped lower the anxiety and fear so I could think.

Try not to engage in any fruitless and hurtful discussion with your partner - its a waste of energy and keeps you focused on them instead of on you and your needs.

Do Try and see a lawyer - they can inform you of options and procedures to help with the financial side of separation. Knowing what you need to do is half the battle.

Do you have a support network - family, friends - who you can turn to? Can you seek support from a domestic abuse hotline or shelter? Things can escalate fast sometimes when partners get a whiff of noncompliance.

You don't have to keep your partner's secrets or dance to their tune. Do what's good for your own safety and future wellbeing.

Be careful, be safe, please get away ASAP.

May 15, 2021 6:43 am  #24

In my opinion, I believe that he is gay.

May 15, 2021 7:09 pm  #25

Soaplife,thank you. When I asked him about other men he threatened to make my life hell through the legal system. And that he wanted to know who was saying that bc he would take them down. I mean if there is nothing out there then why the big reaction?!
I then really got scared. I’m still scared about what legal abuse is going to come now. I told him I wouldn’t bring any of that up, I just wanted a clean break.

Gloria, thank you. I never thought  my husband was a cheater now the prospect of one that has cheated with both is just a really unexpected place to be in life. I

May 15, 2021 7:24 pm  #26

WF2020 wrote:

Don’t be upset with yourself for being human. It was a natural response. Be kind to yourself.

May 15, 2021 8:40 pm  #27

so I hope you aren't going to mention the gay thing to him again.  I hope you have family or a support network who can help you. yes, be kind to yourself, even in the way you think.  a few deep breaths and I used to find going for a walk very helpful in getting my thoughts in order.

wishing you all the best, Lily

June 13, 2021 1:34 pm  #28

Did any of you have spouses with long time “friends” that may have been more than friends? My stbx has had a same sex friend for as long as I’ve known him. This guy was our third wheel as newlyweds. He would spend long weekends at our house, come on vacations with us. He eventually got married himself and she and my husband hated each other. They enjoy going off alone together. My stbx hangs out late at night in the garage talking to him for hours at the time. I overheard mine bashing me to him, and them laughing. They are outdoors men and go off to remote places to hunt and have for years. This guys wife told me she thought they were gay, then later said she was only kidding. She even left him at one point.
My stbx is a serial cheater, he’s had multiple affairs with women but this same sex question is throwing me for a loop.
Is that “normal” behavior or abnormal male behavior?
I know I shouldn’t waste too much time on this since  we are separating anyway. Just curious if any of those things seem odd.

Thanks!

June 13, 2021 4:23 pm  #29

Please WF, time to be smart and stay focused on staying safe.  Try not to even think the word gay.  Keep staying in touch with your support team - family friends doctor whomever you have that is helping you.

Personally speaking, in answer to your question yes my ex's best friend was in the picture, he got married too, his wife was in the closet it turned out, so out of the four of us I was the only one who was straight.

June 13, 2021 5:07 pm  #30

Yes, stay safe! That’s the most important part.

I didn’t factor the gay part into leaving, to be honest. (He was GID). It was his anger, abuse  and refusal to get a job after 6 years of unemployment. I bided my time until the opportunity was right. It was after he passed away and safe that I seriously looked into TGT. It’s the root of why the marriage was a sham and why it’s taking so long to heal.

Yes, he had one married friend who he knew for 20 years.. This friend supposedly hated his wife who was a witch.  It was a year into the marriage. They had married because it was required for her paid FT minister’s job. It made no sense to me. I asked for clarification. He gave me word salad.

This is the male friend he posted an FB message to about the teen boy they had fun with.  This friend passed away unexpectedly and relatively young a few years before GIDXH. They both had fatal heart attacks. This friend & his “wife” were married for a few years only.

Last edited by MJM017 (June 13, 2021 5:09 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera