OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2016 3:48 am  #1

No emotion

Hello
I got tired of feeling upset, sad, angry, anxious, & crying all the time. So my dr Rx'd me an AD. I've been taking it for almost 2wks. I have not been able to cry or feel upset or angry. I've been reviewing & signing divorce documents. And inside my head I'm thinking omg this is so sad. But I couldn't actually feel sad, I couldn't even cry!! It's like I have no emotion. I know I should but I can't show it. I still laugh & smile at funny stuff. But the sadness & anger I haven't been feeling since I started taking this.  I guess maybe the medicine is working. But this just feels unnatural to me. My first time taking an AD. I don't want to not feel anything. Not sure if this is good for me or not.

July 27, 2016 8:10 am  #2

Re: No emotion

Kt,

Good for you.   Fight fire with fire.

Yep,  I call them the indifference pills.   My lezex has been on them longer than me and I think it contributed to her being a raging monster or demon.   I think my ex went on them as soon as she cheated and decided she wanted out of the marriage.   Imagine your spouse going on drugs and not telling you why they are taking them.     She then became totally indifferent to everything. You could look at her crying and she would just scream whats your problem?  Not a shred of empathy, compassion or remorse...not a a shred.

I was on them to get through the horribleness of it all.    I did not like mine...they made my hands tremble and I'm used to feeling empathy and compassion.. They made me gain weight despite eating nothing.   They  made me become like her .     But they helped me do what needed to be done...not ashamed.  Fight fire with fire.  We do what needs to be done...what is right.  It is not forever ..it is a valley.. a season.

I'm doing ok without them now....just ok.   My psychiatrist thinks I should still be on them to help get through the  first weeks dealing with shared parenting with a still psycho ex-wife.  I can't disagree.   I'm trying to get by on my own strength which is there but precarious.     But I am myself again.. I am no longer in the valley.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 27, 2016 10:11 am  #3

Talk to the doctor that prescribed them to you.  It's either not the right drug for you, or you need a smaller dosage.  I'm on meds, and I cry, I laugh, I have a full range of emotions and desires.  You're supposed to.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 27, 2016 3:49 pm  #4

Ditto to what Kel said. It took two adjustments from my doctor to get the dosage right, but as they kick in, you will notice it. You should experience normal range of emotions, and feel stable too, neither shut down nor out of control. Also it can take up to 3-4 weeks to feel the full effect, from what my doc told me about mine (zoloft); it has to build up gradually, it's not an overnight thing.  Also helps to let someone you trust know that you're on them, so they can report back to you if they see behavioral changes that you aren't aware of.

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

July 27, 2016 5:56 pm  #5

Kt, you might have the wrong dose, or the wrong AD.

For me, I felt good on the AD, I could feel sadness or anger but it didn't overwhelm me. I've been on them six months and I'm slowly tapering off. So far the uncontrollable weeping hasn't returned yet. The way I felt is, the AD allowed me to calm down enough to start the healing process.

Good luck!

July 28, 2016 3:05 am  #6

Thanks everyone. I thought this med would take longer to take any effect. I don't really feel "good" yet.  I still have anxiety but not as bad. When I see my STBX I'm not even able to show my anger or hurt with him. I don't even bother. So I do feel more at peace. But this is the longest I've gone without crying & being pissed off. I feel like I need to cry & let it out but I can't. I did tell my 2 members of my family that I'm on an AD so they can also notice anything. I'll call my Dr.

Last edited by Kt2016 (July 28, 2016 3:09 am)

July 28, 2016 11:08 am  #7

Kt, my daughter started AD's for depression several months ago.  The first drug they gave her was making her feel "fake".  I have no idea what that means - it's not as though she couldn't cry or laugh.  But it was good enough for the doctor to pull her off that med and put her on something else - which has worked great.  You really aren't supposed to feel anything different on AD's except for edge to come off of whatever you were experiencing.  For me, that means that I can cry, can laugh, can even rage.  But that I don't find myself wanting to throw someone through the window for not putting their dishes in the sink.  It was like I could SEE my reactions (prior to AD's) weren't right, but I seemed incapable of controlling them.  The control is back now.  I've never "felt" different as much as I've noticed that my reactions to things aren't over-the-top.

Talk to your doctor.  Don't even wait until the next appointment - call and tell them you want to come in earlier because you're not liking the affects of this AD.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 28, 2016 4:49 pm  #8

I second (or third or fourth) what Kel said. 

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

Board footera