OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2017 12:04 pm  #1

Need stories that it does get better (yes I watched the video-thanks)

My husband and I have been together since I was 17 (now 52) and now we are about to separate. I am scared and need to know that some day I will be ok.

Early in our relationship he told me about his attraction to men but he never really acted on it. I am the first he told and besides a group therapy he did 20 something years ago, he has not told others until very recently (and only a select few). It has been our secret for so long. Our youngest is now in college and for the last 3 years he has been struggling with staying in our marriage or living a homosexual life.
He told me 2 years ago and we have done couples counseling first with a regular counselor and then when he realized he really did want to experiment another therapist who specialized in poly and open relationships (from last April until August). I agree to let him experiment going out to gay clubs and restaurants. He has done some making out but not much more at this point. We realized that I might have been able to tolerate an open relationship (him just hooking up-but safely of course), but I cannot share him with another love, which is what he really thinks he wants. 

Besides TGT we are an incredible couple, love the same things, get along great, huge support for each other. We talk about everything- obviously. People are often telling us (even therapists) how incredibly compatible we are. He is actually the one who told me about this network. 

So why have I stayed in this relationship for so long, knowing from the start that he had attractions to men? I kept thinking of him as my "practice boyfriend"  all through college and after we just really grew on each other and it kept going he also kept hoping his feelings for men would change and he did love me a lot. Also, sexuality is such a non issue for me, I have no idea if I would end up with a woman or a man in my next relationship, it is the person that is important to me. He was once sexually abused by a gay neighbor when he was young. He does not remember all the details, but was somewhere between age 11-14. He remembers being attracted to girls when he was young but at some point switched to men as a young teen (coincidental after the abuse?, I thought not). So we kept going and he kept hoping that tgt would get less important to him. But, it never went away and now he feels he needs to "be whole" and "not 2 Pauls". 

So here we are, we are going to separate. I assume he will move out in a few more weeks. Here are the hard things I am thinking about. 

We will need to tell our boys soon. 

I am so scared. Not only am I going to lose my marriage, but also my best friend. I know others might say I don't have to do that. But for now, the only angry or spiteful thing I feel towards him is that if he makes the decision to leave me then he does not deserve to have my support as a friend. He doesn't get it both ways. I will have to figure out how to get on by myself. 
Until recently we have not shared the painful part of our lives with anyone else (and only a few right now). 
How to deal with our friends? We live in our college town and almost all our friends are mutual. We love the same social things. I feel like he is going to have his new gay life and I should be able to get first dibs on doing social things with our friends. For now he agrees. O.K. another slightly spiteful thought is that one of our biggest joys is music, especially jam bands and festivals. I am not positive, but fairly sure that I will be able to find a partner who will enjoy these things with me easier than him finding a gay man who likes this type of music(at least none of the ones he knows now). 

I have just started seeing the poly specializing therapist on my own (I really liked her style and she knows us). I need to work out my other fears.
I am no longer going to be part of the married peoples club- to me this means there will not be someone out there who will have my back no matter what (especially illness and old age), and that is scary as all get out. 
How will people react? We have not had the perfect marriage that others thought. But it has been very good in all but that one aspect. 
Luckily I think financially we will be ok and we have always agreed on finances and will continue to work together on that. He has completely agreed to let me have the house. I would go completely bonkers if I didn't have the stability of my home. 

He wanted to make this a "trial separation" I told him if he is going to do it we need to just do it. BUT, I still have this nagging hope that once he lives this life, he will see that the gender thing is just not as important as he hoped and maybe he will realize he is throwing away a wonderful thing. I will not rely on that and will move on and maybe date, but it is hard to imagine something better than what we had. But maybe I will find out that I can have what we had plus knowledge that someone also desires me sexually-hmmm. 

Reading further, I see that others have much worse stories than I have, hopefully someday I can be a resource or comfort to them. But I am still hurting real bad. I have had horrible days, but today is a little better, so in rereading this I don't sound as desperate as I would have yesterday morning. I know I will have real bad days again, so I do still need words of encouragement and hope. 

Lisa

Last edited by LisaM (February 5, 2017 3:57 pm)

February 5, 2017 2:28 pm  #2

Re: Need stories that it does get better (yes I watched the video-thanks)

Lisam,

I'm months divorced and though I posts here a lot.. im ok.  I'm a bit adrift looking back and forward but generally ok.

You'll be ok.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 5, 2017 5:33 pm  #3

LisaM, 

You've found the right place.  Your story has parallels to mine.  We were great together in most aspects, and from the outside, we looked like the "perfect" couple.  Always hosting parties, friends, family in our home.  But our home at the end of the day was not a happy one.

As hard as it was to let go, he made it easier by being a complete ass once I told him my suspicions of him being gay.  I had to leave, make it on my own, and not look back until I was ready (phase 1).  

Phase 2 involved me visiting him and his partner in their new home, far away from where I was, sitting, laughing, having dinner, and joking around.  It felt peaceful.  

Phase 3 was when our mutual friends (like yours, all from college) found out why I left him.  I had to separate myself at that point, because the blame and lies he put on me I was just frankly tired of combatting. 

Phase 4:  The dust has settled.  I will see him and his partner occasionally at mutual functions, where I feel everyone is watching.  The death of one of our best friends was a few years ago and we both attended the funeral, embraced, and cried together.  His partner respectfully left us alone to do that because he wasn't part of my ex's life at that time.   Some people know who he is, but never has anyone doubted who I am.  I stayed myself during the whole process (not easy). 

You will get through this.  It is possible that you and your husband CAN be friends.   You are hurting now, of course.  You will get through this.    You will find other people who share your interests.  You will not be alone, even if it feels like it. 

People are much more accepting than you expect.  Lots of people will give you advice on screwing him over, telling everyone, putting up a fight.  But you have to do what you think is authentically you, what feels right to you.  Also, your kids will be watching as well.  How you react to their Dad is how they will learn how to interact with him as well.  

All of this is scary.  All of this is so painful.  Please understand we all get what you are going through here.  You are not alone.  

Keep saying it:  You will be ok.  

Hugs to you. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

February 6, 2017 8:04 pm  #4

Welcome Lisa. 

I'm so sorry you find yourself in this awful situation.  We all walk a different journey and all of them are heart-breaking.  But we all do get better in time.  You will too!  

We have a section for success stories.  http://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=4
You will see here that there is hope for a happy future after you get through the storm. 

I see a lot of similarities between our stories.  Like you, my ex and I were best friends and got along so well.  Unlike you (I think), my wife destroyed our friendship when she fell in love with another person and cheated on me.  You are one of the fortunate few on this forum who's spouse didn't cheat on them. That's not to say that you should feel lucky..  just know that it could be worse. 

The part of your post that really hits home with me right now is what you said about not having anyone to be with you in the hard times (illness and old age).  I am feeling that sting very much right now.   I was at the hospital over the weekend and watched a woman sitting with her husband after he had a massive stroke.  She had to decide what medical treatment to give him, but the prognosis was/is very bleak. But she was going to make those hard decisions and hold his hand through the end.  It hit me so hard my ex promised to be with me for life and I knew I could count on her being there to hold my hand at the end.. and then she betrayed me and threw me away to be with another person.  But guess what..  we can find someone else to be there with us.  You are young and you have a long happy life in front of you.  You will find someone new.  You just have to weather this storm and you will get there. 

I love that you said that you hope to be a resource and comfort to others someday.  That has been the biggest blessing to me.  The help and support I got from others here on this forum was an incredible blessing to me in the early days.  It still is today.  I'm not out of the woods yet myself.  But, I've also found something else to my surprise.  Being able to invest myself in others and try to find ways to ease their pain has been a huge help to me.  I feel so much better about my tragedy knowing that I can use it to help other people.  I hope you find that gem as well.  

Let us help you and support you.  Let us pray for you and cry for you.  Let us share advice and heartfelt concern.  Keep posting and sharing your thoughts and emotions.  It's so good for you to write things out and share.  Let us know how we can help. 

One day at a time Lisa.  Be prepared for the roller-coaster.  You will have many ups and downs along the way.  When you are down, know that there is an up coming soon.  It will get better!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 7, 2017 6:07 pm  #5

Thanks everyone. It does help to read about those who have come through on the other side

Lisa

Board footera