OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2017 5:10 pm  #41

Re: The worst pain - known only by straight spouses

Glad I found the new forum. 

Powerful and true.  Our pasts are not what we thought they were.

At least those who lost their spouses to death (not saying this lightly, as I have the utmost compassion for those so situated) have treasured memories to hold onto, ours are forever tainted knowing that we gave years to a carefully staged lie, even if they gay/bi spouse truly did want it to work/be a real marriage...a fantasy is still a lie, just with better intentions. I guess we are similar to the women who find out that their spouses are already married, just that we are in much larger numbers.  Again, if of older generations, to me it comes back to gay/bi persons being told that they must conform by either marrying someone of the opposite sex and lying to themselves and that person, or that they must remain single and abstain/suppress their desires.  How in the hell is that fair to anyone? And not to sound selfish, but how in the hell is that fair to us beards?  I am completely for letting people be who they were born to be.  You don't force your lifestyle down my throat, I don't force my lifestyle down yours.  Would have spared my spouse and I decades of pain. 

Unfortunately, homophobia remains a huge problem in the African-American community and I fear more of us straights are bound to become unknowingly married to someone who is closeted, or worse, get gaslighted atop that, unless we stop demonizing others for their preference in sexual partners (mind you, that does not change my view of reckless, app based sex hook up practices, which behavior is found in both the gay and straight communities).

As for 20 somethings and younger, there is no excuse to lie to find a partner. You should be who you are meant to be and find someone who supports you in that truth, otherwise you will never be content and may miss being with the person you could have been with had you embraced your authentic self. 

Last edited by fembotreturns (January 21, 2017 5:26 pm)

January 21, 2017 8:44 pm  #42

Yes, I felt concerned about not defaming my ex.  I remember that feeling quite strongly.  In fact my friend I had confided in would say I can't talk about him being gay because that would be defaming him.  He acted like it was his god-given right that I should keep his secret and that to speak about it to others would be the lowest of the low.

From my perspective, I noticed that he was acutely aware of the health of his closet.  If I started to talk about it with anyone he would get upset and more scary.

So I turned the tables by making him understand that I would keep quiet if he would accept the divorce.  Keyhole surgery for him instead of closet door opened.

good luck, these are the hardest times, very scary and difficult.  cold anger is what you want - stay calm keep focussed one thing a day.  don't second guess yourself, rest as much as you can.

January 21, 2017 11:49 pm  #43

JenS, 

Go easy on yourself.  This is a rollercoaster.  First, the "shoulds" just suck.  Just be who you are each moment.  Be kind to your soul.  This situation is unbearable for any human being.  We get it. 

You will be angry, if not today, it will hit you like a wall.  Or you'll ride the rollercoaster of emotions, which will involve anger.  Don't judge yourself for being a good and loving person, trying to have empathy for your spouse.  

It makes me sad to know that you are actually losing friends and family because of how you feel and having the bravery to share it with them.  They have no right to judge what you feel or do, but they are.  People do. It's likely because they care deeply about what happens to you and don't want to see you in pain. 

But you are moving!  You have clarity.  You are brave.  You can do this.  

As for his secret, I kept his secret for years after we split.  Not because he asked me to, but because I didn't want to carry his bags around.  I left.  And boy, did he have a ball with letting everyone know I left him!  It all became my fault, just like it was when we were married.  That was a lonely time, because we went to college together and had mutual friends.  But you know what?  Keeping the secret allowed me to move on with a new life that was MINE.  I built what I wanted, finally.  I left my shoes by the front door and took out the trash, so to speak.  

To get away from him in a less physical way, plan things each day or week that are just yours, that can at least give you the illusion of escape.  For me, walking with my ipod, riding my bike, or driving around with music blaring really helped.  Of course when possible, get out of the house and start something that is just for you--take a class, attend a performance (other than the one in your house), go eat somewhere new, have a cup of coffee on a porch somewhere.   Just for you.  As you build these little "you" things, it helps visualize your life without him in it, away from him.   Might sound crazy but it worked for me. 

Sending virtual hugs.  Keep posting. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 22, 2017 6:54 am  #44

Mares,   that's well written about all the little "yous".

I did just that when i was divorcing her. It took me so long..I was not used to doing anything on my own..  everything was always for her or the kids.
I had feelings of guilt ...how could I do something for just me.

I'm not that ashamed;I loved her and was betrayed.  It was my "trauma bonding" or "insane loyalty"  that I was suddenly negating or standing up against..
It was for me.  It didn't bother her one bit..she had her new lover.  But then she was hurting me..I realized I was the only one that could help me. 
  I'm still here and taking care of myself seems natural now.  As kel says..I set myself on fire to keep her warm..it got me nothing... so glad to be away from someone that takes and takes and hurts do much.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 22, 2017 9:01 am  #45

Rob, never be ashamed for being a loving person.  The trick is to love ourselves as much as we put love out into the world or to people that hurt us.  

It sounds like you have made so much progress towards your new life.  Yay!  

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 22, 2017 9:04 pm  #46

JenS, You will be free.  Small steps.  He's abusive as hell.  Have you talked to a women's shelter who likely has a cadre of references for you in terms of counseling for the kids, for you, and even legal help.  

PM me if you are comfortable sharing where you live and I'll find you the resources. If you're not comfortable, use this resource: http://www.thehotline.org/  I know because I was a counselor for children in a non-residential children's program.  The kids I counseled were in homes where there were abusive situations they witnessed.  They need support, as do you.  

Channel your energy in whatever way works for you at this moment.  Keep posting.  We're here for you.  We get it. 

Peace to you, M

January 29, 2017 10:30 pm  #47

maresyd said..."attend a performance (other than the one in your house)" -

This had me cracking up.  Just tickled me. Couldn't laugh at that a year ago. Funny how we all now look at things differently, huh? 

January 30, 2017 6:47 am  #48

fembotreturns wrote:

This had me cracking up. Just tickled me. Couldn't laugh at that a year ago. Funny how we all now look at things differently, huh? 

fembotreturns:  Made my Monday to know I made one of you laugh!  Thanks!

January 30, 2017 7:25 am  #49

maresyd wrote:

fembotreturns wrote:

This had me cracking up. Just tickled me. Couldn't laugh at that a year ago. Funny how we all now look at things differently, huh? 

fembotreturns:  Made my Monday to know I made one of you laugh!  Thanks!

For those looking ahead ..
..my home now is free of drama. I can really see how crazy my ex made things...no cursing over minor things..no watching her break every marriage vow and project it onto me.
There is a peace and physical feeling of calm that is real..so glad to be away from the created drama.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 30, 2017 9:58 pm  #50

Rob.... Now you've made my Monday!  SO Fantastic to read this!  Keep on Healing....

Board footera