OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2017 9:13 pm  #21

Re: Recovery

lost dad....whack a mole, driving ranges, and batting cages all worked great for me when I wanted to smash things.  

I found the forgiveness I needed not by excusing what he did (there was no excuse), but by remembering that we once did share some kind of love (no matter how it morphed).  Life changes.  Circumstances change.  Feelings change.  Letting go of what I thought I owned let me forgive.  Everything is temporary.  Knowing that helped me move through not only the pain, but the fixation on me being right and him being wrong for what he did.    I had to let it go for my own sanity, my own health, and to get that pain out of my heart.  I then became grateful for the better things that happened in my life, and my own strength and that of people who loved me in the way that I needed.  

One thing I know....no one else can give you your timeline.  Everyone has their own pace, their own scars, their own bags to carry.  People will always be happy to give you advice, especially if they don't understand the unique pain this situation carries. 

lostdad, when you say you struggle with the fact that this is not the Christian way to live, do you mean that not being forgiving is unchristian, or your ex-wife's behavior is unchristian?  Or her adultery is unchristian?  

If it's your lack of forgiveness you're worried about, it will come in time and in your own way.  Perhaps it won't.  Go easy on yourself as you run through the shock of having your life look completely different than what you thought it would be, and having the very opposite of what you wanted in your field of vision.  Eventually, your field of vision will widen, and even after that, you'll be able to look past it.  Next, you'll look behind you, and it will seem like a million years ago.  
Promise. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 22, 2017 9:02 am  #22

If you are still living with anger they are still controlling you. Giving yourself permission to release that anger so that you may begin to open your life to new beginnings has NOTHING to do with giving them a free pass, excusing what they did etc.  It has to do with taking back your own power and freeing yourself from a painful prison of anger and indignation that will color every aspect of your life. I have not forgiven my GXH of 28 years. But I refuse to give him another minute of my life through anger. If I do he still has a grip on my life. I have moved on.The anger is gone. I can focus on other things. Maybe one day I will forgive him but it's up to me if and when I do. But the forgiveness will never truly be for him. It will be for my sanity and well being, just as releasing the anger has been.

January 22, 2017 9:13 am  #23

dancerbeck......YES!  Love it. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 22, 2017 11:43 am  #24

JK,

"..I need to delete that entire emotional email."  So, I did.   I replaced it with a very businesslike communication about responsibilities that he still has, unless he wants me to have full custody, which (in my case) I do not think is best for our children....."

Good for you !   If they were normal we could appeal to their morals?? or honor?..   For me..  She would fly into a rage about anything.. I used my lawyer to her lawyer  ($$$) to  converse about  basic stuff ...even though we were in the same house  (pathetic and sad but why should I get more stuff thrown at me).   I recall the one letter from her lawyer after only 1 month ..basically saying I should be over it..., who was she and her lawyer to tell me how I should feel?  

I thought about writing my ex now few times about;

1.) How much she hurt me..
2.) How  I was loyal faithful and true...I was always kind.
3.) I could  tell her ???

Then I remember;   

1.) NO CONTACT..  zero... zip.. unless its about the kids.
2.) There is nothing left to say..she made her choice.
3.) This is contact..  she will reply  and it will not be anything kind..  what does she have to say that is not a lie.  it will open me up to more hurt. 
4.) In the words of Gandalf "perhaps she has things to un-say.."     No  like Saruman  she will have no remorse and only more hurt to spew.
5.) NO CONTACT.. what part of no contact don't I understand.  
6.) NO CONTACT..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 22, 2017 12:41 pm  #25

JK and Rob, yes, yes a thousand times yes!!! This is about YOU, your healing and your future. You both just took really important steps in that direction!!!

January 22, 2017 1:14 pm  #26

jkpeace and Rob, sometimes, though, it does feel better to hit send.  So what I did was create an email account where I sent those.  Even though I knew they weren't going anywhere, sometimes it felt GREAT.  I also began blogging and never publicly posted that blog until years later, only posting the poetry and writings that I thought someone would find helpful to read.  Never any of my "letters" to him.    Also helpful was writing the letters on paper and then burning them in a fire.  But you guys saw my post about that on NYE.  

Hugs to you JK Peace, you are strong and moving through this! 

Board footera