OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2016 2:59 pm  #1

Saying goodbye to 2017

Hello all, 
Every NYE since my life turned upside down (this will be year 16), I attend a NYE service called the Burning Bowl.I thought I would share, as some of you may find benefit.   Basically the service is as follows: a positive spiritual talk from a great speaker about reflecting on the past year, followed by a listing of everything you want to let go of.  You write it on a piece of paper, and physically take the paper (flash paper) up to a large bowl where you watch it poof into a flame and disintegrate.  It's incredibly powerful.  After, you reflect on the coming year by writing a letter to yourself with promises of what you want it to be.  In 6 months, that letter you penned is mailed to you.  I've always found this to be incredibly cleansing.  
One of my favorite authors, Paulo Coehlo, wrote a prayer of forgiveness, which I read silently during the time I've burned everything I need to let go of.  There are often tears.  I'll share the prayer as well (long but worth it). 

Prayer of Forgiveness-from Paulo Coehlo's novel, The Aleph:– I forgive the girl I was, not because I want to become a saint but because I do not want to endure this hatred. This tiresome hatred.This was not what I expected.
– You may not forgive everyone and everything, but forgive me.
– I forgive everything and everyone. I forgive you because I love you and you do not love me. I forgive you because you reject me and I am losing my power.She closes her eyes and raises her hands towards the ceiling.– I am liberated from hatred by means of forgiveness and love. I understand that suffering, when it cannot be avoided, helps me to advance towards glory.The tears I shed, I forgive.
The suffering and disappointments, I forgive.
The betrayals and lies, I forgive.
The slandering and scheming, I forgive.
The hatred and persecution, I forgive.
The punches that were given, I forgive.
The shattered dreams, I forgive.
The dead hopes, I forgive.
The disaffection and jealousy, I forgive.
The indifference and ill will, I forgive.
The injustice in the name of justice, I forgive.
The anger and mistreatment, I forgive.
The neglect and oblivion, I forgive.
The world with all its evil, I forgive.
Grief and resentment, I replace with understanding and agreement.
Revolt, I replace with music that comes from my violin.
Pain I replace with oblivion.
Revenge, I replace with victory.
I will be able to love above all discontentment.
To give even when I am stripped of everything.
To work happily even when I find myself in the midst of all obstacles.
To dry tears even when I am still crying.
To believe even when I am discredited.
– Thy will be done. Thy will be done.*******************************************
I wish all of you a peaceful new year. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 1, 2017 8:45 am  #2

Re: Saying goodbye to 2017

Mares, all,

Happy new year.  It has to be better then the last.

This year I would like to move on.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 1, 2017 9:42 am  #3

Rob, glad to see you are redecorating.     Keep moving, it gets better.  Much much better. 

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

January 1, 2017 10:06 am  #4

I love this idea! And I especially love the prayer. I hate wishing my life away, but I was never so happy to turn the page on 2016. Rob, I can't tell you the power of redecorating, I'm working my way through room by room, and it doesn't need to be expensive, but make it your own. You can paint and buy all new pictures, that you like without constantly having to consult her. And cleanse your house of the toxic energy and make it fresh and a home again. Just start with one room, it's SO healing!

January 2, 2017 1:49 am  #5

maresyd wrote:

One of my favorite authors, Paulo Coehlo, wrote a prayer of forgiveness, which I read silently during the time I've burned everything I need to let go of.  There are often tears.  I'll share the prayer as well (long but worth it).

Paulo's blog site is well worth the visit. I've read a few posts here that can be adapted to the Straight Spouse experience by adjusting a few words here and there. Very wise words on letting go, moving on, etc.

http://paulocoelhoblog.com/

All the best in 2017.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

January 2, 2017 8:25 pm  #6

Daryl, agreed.  His writing is beautiful and the blog often felt like he was writing it directly to me.  

Best to you in 2017

Board footera