OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2024 6:17 pm  #1

Heartbroken

I am so sad. 

I am in the process of separating. They now identify as having GDD and are MTF. It is a shock after a long relationship. 

We have 3 young kids. They want 50/50. And where we live, I will have to fight so hard for that to NOT be. If both parents want 50/50, it has to be really awful for a judge or anyone else to deny 50% custody to either parent.

I work outside the home but my kids are still my life. They are a part of me. I provide for them more in every aspect of their lives. The thought of not seeing them for 5 days at a time is breaking my heart. I start crying every time I think about being away from them. I know it is what is going to happen. I can fight tooth and nail and it still won't make a difference except result in a horrible relationship with my ex who I will still have to co-parent with.

I am so angry. He cheated and lied and emotionally and financially abused me for years. The only thing I did wrong was fall in love with the person I thought he was. It is so unfair that I am being punished.

October 4, 2024 7:00 pm  #2

Re: Heartbroken

MM3....re 50/50 custody, your young children have 2 parents. You'd be doing them and yourself a disservice by not letting them have equal time with you both. As hard as that may be you'd only be making a rod for your own back, in the future, when your children ask you about the time they didn't have with their father.

Not fighting tooth and nail (which would tire you out anyway right?) is a good decision. You'll need to fight smarter, not harder. 

Do you have a good lawyer?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

October 4, 2024 7:31 pm  #3

You're right that it isn't fair.   It's not fair to you or your children. I feel the same way, but you can't focus on what is outside your control or you'll drive yourself crazy.

Are you still negotiating the custody agreement, if so try for one with shorter periods so you're not away as long. 

I'm sorry I know how painful this is, I'm currently missing my little girls terribly.

October 4, 2024 9:15 pm  #4

I have a lawyer, who is willing to fight if that's what I want. I just know (like you said Elle) it's going to be me expending money and energy in something that I probably won't win in the long run. And I know what's best for the kids is to have 2 involved parents. My dad walked away after my parents divorced and it hurt, even though I was much older. It still hurts. It's just hard to lose my kids every second Christmas and every second weekend and a bunch of weekdays. Also hard to co parent with someone who is so selfish and self involved. I have to explain everything and spell everything out or my kids will suffer. I keep reminding myself that maybe one day with time, my ex will become the parent my kids deserve. And if he doesn't, eventually the kids will be able to make their own decisions about who they want to spend time with. All I can do is be the best co parent and mom I can be. Even though it is breaking me right now.

October 4, 2024 9:18 pm  #5

Supernova, I'm sorry for what you are going through. I have 2 little girls too and a little boy. It's so so so hard when they are this young. I wish I could stay just so I don't have to give them up 50% of the time, but I will not survive if I do. It's been a terrible 3 years and as hard as this is, I know it's the best path forward for me and for them. I can't stay with someone who doesn't love or respect me. 

October 5, 2024 5:13 pm  #6

Hi mm3,
I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's good that you have a lawyer and are thinking about how you want to spend your time and money dealing with this. 

Your kids will notice and appreciate the stable life they have when they are with you.

Anon 765

October 7, 2024 10:02 am  #7

Mm3

Yes you did nothing wrong.  The law doesn't see things in a fair way.

Do all you can for the kids and know that God is looking down and sees the difference between wrong and right.  Your soon to be ex will have to answer in the next life ...in this life he is also entitled to half the debts and is responsible financially for the kids also.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera