OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2024 2:39 pm  #11

Re: Transitioning soon to be Ex-husband

Moonlight,
   I cleared out some of the messages in my mailbox (didn't realize my mailbox was full until I logged into it today to comment on your post and saw the warning), so I should be able to get your message now.

The anger.  Sigh.  I have yet to let it go completely, but at least these days it surfaces infrequently.  I tried to use the anger to propel me forward, out of the marriage, out of the diminished and traumatized sense of self that was the result of life with my now-ex.  It was useful during the divorce, I have to say.  It kept me from being taken advantage of, and helped me to push back against the entitlement of my spouse, who thought he could dictate how we would split our marital assets (although he left it to me to file, and didn't get an attorney of his own), and got nasty when I didn't just roll over and agree to his terms.  

I spent most of the first six years of my 60s immersed in my now-ex's drama, and the last half of my 60s, after the divorce, caring for my mother, who died just over a year ago.  I do have to say that having my mother's needs to care for elbowed out other considerations, and time did its work, too.  Which is not to say that I no longer feel anger.  

Now my anger comes along the lines of the injustice of his going off to live the life he wanted to live, unencumbered by any sense of remorse, no consequences for him, while my life and life plans were completely upended, and I am unlikely, at my age, to find another partnership, even if I want one.  

One way I defused my anger was to consider that his fall down the trans rabbit hole was similar to joining a cult.  (I distinguish between having gender dysphoria, with which I sympathize, and wholesale embrace of gender ideology, which is full of such delusional ideas as we can change sex, or that one can be "in the wrong body," or that males can be lesbians.)  Maybe it's a form of radical acceptance, meaning not that I learned to "accept" transgenderism, but that I had to realize and accept that he had, and that everything he said or did (or didn't say or do) followed from that.  Maybe it's a form of what Chump Lady (who runs an infidelity blog--my ex also brought an ex-student into his "experimentation") calls "trust that they suck."  That is, I stopped expecting consideration and remorse, and realized no apology or thanks would ever be forthcoming, and that his many, many lapses and cruelties (standing in front of me naked and saying "I hate my penis and balls swinging between my legs," deliberately to wound me) were simply one more piece of evidence that he "sucks."  Once I stopped asking "How could he ...." as if he were capable of perceiving how "off" his behavior was, and started seeing each such instance as yet one more piece of evidence, I stopped tying myself in knots over his failure to be empathetic, understanding, etc.   As much as it hurts you to accept it, he really doesn't think you have a right to be upset.  This narcissism that overcomes them is matched only by their feelings of entitlement--and their blame of us.  I always said my husband was never more masculine than when he was insisting he was a woman ("toxic masculinity" is a great descriptor).  

Cohabiting with him while legally separated, seeing his fetish gear (that's how I think of those ridiculous get-ups of theirs), and feeling uncomfortable over his moving into your daughter's bedroom (you are right to be uncomfortable about this--I have a similar story I could share; a fixation on "girlhood" is not uncommon with these men, or a desire to be in women's/girls' spaces), must be so very difficult for you.  Your anger is in part no doubt a coping device--and better than sinking into depression.  

There's more in your posts to respond to, but I'll leave things here for now--this is already long.

Elle: 
I hope the settlement will give you some financial and emotional peace of mind for the future.
I'm so sorry about your grandson!  The younger generation is the most "in your face" about their "right" to be women (young male aggression fueling that, no doubt!), and New Zealand, like the US, is behind England and the Scandinavian countries in waking up to the damage "affirmation only" has done to its youth (and to women--Yay you for joining the women's rights political party!).  

January 22, 2024 9:26 am  #12

OOHC,

Righteous anger.   Even Jesus got angry at the merchants in the temple.      I hope you have your own safe place now. 

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 22, 2024 10:16 am  #13

Rob,

Yes, righteous anger.  Anger has its uses, if we can learn to direct it to a needful purpose.  

Thanks for the good wishes!  I do have my own safe place now.  A couple of months ago I bought and moved into a lovely old Craftsman/Prairie Style home in a neighborhood where I already knew some of the folks living here.  Now the only disharmony in my home is that which I bring in myself, so I am striving for serenity and peace. 

I hope you, and your children, too, are doing well.  

January 26, 2024 8:11 pm  #14

Out of his closet and Moonlight dances, you have made me feel so much less alone. 

January 26, 2024 8:46 pm  #15

I feel the same being connected to all of you!

January 27, 2024 2:06 pm  #16

MrLagop wrote:

How do you let go of the anger?.....I image myself sitting in sunshine a brilliant summer day, relaxing at a beautiful river floating by....., 

Visualisation is a great tool.
I had to change or incorporate some habits in my day to day life to distract myself from the triggers that would often ruin my day. 
I used anger initially only to realise I did not want anger to rule me and that I had to change my reactions to the triggers by replacing them with something else. It took awhile!
A. would do or say something and I would immediately become anxious, then would start overthinking and my emotions would spiral. I had to stop myself at the anxious point which, as I said, wasn't easy at first but after a few attempts the anxiety-saving mantra I'd say in my mind was making me stop the anxiety in its tracks

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 2, 2024 2:35 pm  #17

OOHC, good to see you back here!

February 2, 2024 10:24 pm  #18

Moonlight dances,
I left my MTF trans partner almost four yrs ago and am No contact.  
Your story has many commonalities like mine, I was gaslit, my feelings were dismissed and I was blamed for everything.  Mine announced the trans femme persona at age 58, gender dysphoria after living together for 17 years.  Absolutely no inkling and I thought he certainly had strong masculine traits. Therefore I understand the shock of a lifetime.  How can someone HIDE this part of them. Another secret was discovering his hidden toys used on himself, nipple clamps and multiple male genitalia dildos.  Then the secret women’s lacy bras and panties, fishnet stockings, high heels and wig.  Mine had the classic autogynephellia or sexual paraphillia where he was sexually aroused wearing these women’s items and fantasizing while he was doing it.  This spilled into the bedroom after the announcement, the fantasies were in the bedroom as a big role play with women’s clothing and the submissiveness.  Nothing was the same, was not the same person and sex was unfulfilled and exhausting.  Then the announcement that sex would not be PIV and I’d have to satisfy myself with a dildo.  And ridiculous ways of dressing, YES.  Wearing the tightest cami, the shortest short shorts.  The glittery jewelry, rings, earrings, necklaces and bracelets..all decked out for everyday wear.  Answer to your question about ANGER, you bet I had tons of anger. Over the deceit, lies, gaslighting, verbal and emotional abuse etc etc.  it helped when we sold the house and we lived separately.  Otherwise I don’t know how I’d diffuse the anger appropriately.   It was a lot of journaling.  Truly it is hard to find a support group for us trans partners.  
Good luck with getting out of your situation and moving forward to a new journey.

Board footera