OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2024 3:14 pm  #31

Re: my story so far

Hi everyone,  I wanted to update you about the last few whirlwind months. My now ex-wife asked for a divorce on Aug 12. She expected to keep everything the same--have me take care of the kids everyday so she could get to work and still live here in our house. I asked her to leave. In response, she forced a quick sale of our house (God, that really hurt emotionally and financially). She also threatened to pursue full custody unless I dropped any demand for child support (I stayed strong on that). We got divorced on Dec 11. The holidays were horrible. This entire time--going back to the initial disclosure--she has been putting all the focus on my reactions and demonizing me. She says that I made her feel horrible and I should instead be happy for her. She said it doesn't make sense than any of my friends and family are mad at her unless I manipulated her. She wants me to "change the narrative" so that everyone knows that she was honest, forthcoming, and made the right decision. It's been hell. I am at a point where I am trying to save my kids from the pain so we are working together as co-parents. My heartbreak has not dissipated but I decided to forgive her in terms of my actions and words. I have never felt so alone and rejected.

February 1, 2024 9:10 pm  #32

Sometimes I am amazed at the expectations some of our partners have or had. Do not let her manipulate you into thinking that she is the victim. As much as possible, try going no contact, except for parenting things. If she tries to change the topic - cut and run. If she is a narcissist, the common tactic is to regain control. When rebuked, or control is not offered, anger can ensue. Eventually they may move on to new targets.

Good luck, try to "grey rock" the situation as best you can. Find healthy ways to vent.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

February 2, 2024 12:44 am  #33

So sorry this is happening to you!
Not sure if this helps, but things will get better.
Try finding friends, relatives or a therapist to vent to.
Hang in there, we understand how you must feel.

February 2, 2024 10:02 am  #34

Daryl is spot on. My ex is a narc. She is an actual psychologist and for ears taught me about the condition, under the guise of teaching me why my father is such a piece of shit. Turns out, she was describing herself the entire time. Upon finding out of her affair, everything was "my fault", while at the same time, "I was the best husband anyone could ever ask for". We reached 3 agreements to dissolve the marriage of 19 years...each time she refused to sign. Ultimately went all the way to court so she could take half of everything and say "it wasnt me, it was the courts, you should not have filed". But as I shared, she reached 3 agreements prior and never had any intention on signing them. Some of these people are absolutely disguisting. I have gone no-contact except for kids and its clear it enrages her. She calls me names while the kids are around (found out from former mutual friends) and blames me for everything all while playing the poor victim who had no idea she was a lesbian....

Stay strong. I have never been in a better place in life. Focus on your kids, even when you dont think it matters, it does. Focus inward on healing yourself and why you allowed yourself to be treated poorly. Upon examination, I too, found I thought I always had this great relationship, but the reality was it was all effort from me. She never tried much nor cared. Hard lesson, but invaluable. 

Stay strong! 

February 2, 2024 10:05 am  #35

Thank you! It feels like such a relief to hear from people who actually understand...day-to-day I feel like I'm the crazy person.

February 2, 2024 10:07 am  #36

Blackie563 wrote:

Daryl is spot on. My ex is a narc. She is an actual psychologist and for ears taught me about the condition, under the guise of teaching me why my father is such a piece of shit. Turns out, she was describing herself the entire time. Upon finding out of her affair, everything was "my fault", while at the same time, "I was the best husband anyone could ever ask for". We reached 3 agreements to dissolve the marriage of 19 years...each time she refused to sign. Ultimately went all the way to court so she could take half of everything and say "it wasnt me, it was the courts, you should not have filed". But as I shared, she reached 3 agreements prior and never had any intention on signing them. Some of these people are absolutely disguisting. I have gone no-contact except for kids and its clear it enrages her. She calls me names while the kids are around (found out from former mutual friends) and blames me for everything all while playing the poor victim who had no idea she was a lesbian....

Stay strong. I have never been in a better place in life. Focus on your kids, even when you dont think it matters, it does. Focus inward on healing yourself and why you allowed yourself to be treated poorly. Upon examination, I too, found I thought I always had this great relationship, but the reality was it was all effort from me. She never tried much nor cared. Hard lesson, but invaluable. 

Stay strong! 

This sounds horrible, I'm so sorry! Sadly, I found myself thinking while reading this that I wish my ex had refused to sign and that she wanted to stay with me...but she didn't. It sounds like you were the stronger party in your case.

February 2, 2024 11:30 pm  #37

I can vouch for the narc behaviors. I ended up in a relationship with one of these people 10 years after their divorce. Yep - still at it. Destroyed his marriage when his kid was 2 years old, and portrayed it to me, as the divorce happened because his child was so difficult to care for. (Yes, he blamed his divorce on his kid). Played the victim to the hilt.  And he was the most reputable, nice guy in our community. Portrayed his ex wife as “greedy” and subtly laid the foundation of a story of her just trying to milk the situation for all it was worth. At the time of the divorce, he also subtly spread claims that she was unstable mentally (because of child care stress), which eventually led to her losing her 3 figure salary career and not being hired for the next decade in our community.

I thought I had met Mr Wonderful, and bought the victim story hook, line, and sinker. You would think he would just move on and lead a gay life, but he just couldn’t help himself and decided to (10 years later) continue to mess with me. Imagine my surprise when I found that in the time between myself and his divorce, he had a 7 year emotional, love affair with a man who was a supervisor over his ex wife, and colleague of mine. The stories were intricate, elaborate, and so well crafted, there was almost no way to distinguish them from truth. Don’t underestimate the little ways in which you may be diminished and undercut by all this. I witnessed a woman completely lose her career, and her son. Will never forget the idea that the deception also was very much within him, it had become everyone’s truth.

March 1, 2024 2:38 pm  #38

I am so sorry for your situation. After being on this site for a few years and reading different situations, it will not get better. You should give her the divorce and move on. You will lose valuable life if you don't. It will eventually effect your children. Bitterness will take root and you will become a shell of a person and that's no place to be. I'm in that place. If you stay, she will eventually act out and then the lies and accusations will happen and she will blame you for everything. You have children and I don't know their ages but they probably won't understand any of it. Your story really makes me sad. I'm so sorry for your situation and pray you and your children get resolution.

March 3, 2024 10:18 am  #39

First of all, I am sorry that you are going through this.  It is a very confusing place to be when you love someone completely and then all of a sudden have the rug pulled out from under you.  I was in a spot sort of like yours--had been with my first love for 24 years, married 19 when we separated (he is trans).  We were best friends, soul mates, had been through so much together.  I never thought that there would be a future without him.  But, life had other plans.  We, too, went through therapy and there was a period where the physical intimacy radically increased.  At first, I tried my best to support him--took him shopping, did his makeup, told him it would be ok, etc.  But then I had a nervous breakdown.  I realized that I was sacrificing myself and my happiness for him and the marriage (something I had done basically throughout the whole marriage before the gender issues).  

I'm not saying that you two won't be able to make it work.  I just see a lot of the same patterns that happened to me.  Finally, I had to stop and really think about myself--being in that marriage (that had other problems as well) was affecting me horribly mentally, physically, and emotionally.  He needed to be free to find himself, and I needed to realize that my happiness mattered too.  The person I knew was gone...the life I had was gone...  

Take your time.  This is not a decision to make lightly.  For me, it was a multi-year process.  We did marriage counseling and then five years later things really bad again.  The first time around, I felt that I had to try.  The second time, I knew that I had given it my best and that it just wasn't going to work.  Should I have left 5 years ago?  Maybe.  But I know I would have always doubted myself.  Now, I can walk away with more reassurance that I did what I could have and that I made the right decision.

Good luck!

Board footera