OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2024 9:57 pm  #1

Question about “Emergency Contact” person

My ex husband (of 24 years) called me yesterday because he needed to go to the ER. I dropped him off and picked him up after they pumped him with antibiotics and took numerous tests. This morning he texted that he was called back in to the hospital and was admitted. He drove himself.  He had a biopsy on his prostate and apparently developed an infection in the blood. He will be there for a few days. This whole situation got me thinking and wondering about “emergency contacts”. You see, when my life took a wicked turn in June, and I ended up in the ER with a major panic attack (because of betrayal discovery), I took him off my emergency contact list. We were still married at the time. I have my “circle” of friends who I would call if I needed anything. Apparently, he doesn’t. That makes me sad. We have a college aged daughter who lives a few hours away. I guess this new lifestyle choice hasn’t gotten serious enough to find his “emergency contact person?”
I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Is it normal to feel powerful and needed? Who do you and your ex call in case of an emergency?

TeeWee

January 14, 2024 11:26 pm  #2

Re: Question about “Emergency Contact” person

I was in for a checkup at the hospital the other day and a nurse checked my details. She said "you have no emergency contact" I keep forgetting to update it.

It's just not a priority. I mean... If they have nobody to call is not like they'll put me in a room and forget me.

I'll get round to it. At some point

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

January 15, 2024 11:40 am  #3

I have siblings, kids, a girlfriend I can put..  quite blessed.

My GX dropped me from her life insurance and emergency contact very early while we weren't even divorcing.   Her girlfriend I found on several of the kid's emergency contact papers...this was her way of erasing me and making me non existent.  But for her spousal support she wants me to exist.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 18, 2024 11:29 pm  #4

I have my father or brother.  It may be sad but be careful he's not hoovering you into returning. 🎻

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera