OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2023 10:18 pm  #1

Now that the holidays are over…how to disclose news to family?

TLDR: I’m wondering what advice anyone has for a straight spouse on telling one’s parents about divorce and also advice on navigating relationships with in-laws.

My wife (26F) and I (26M) have decided to lovingly end our relationship of 7 years. She came out originally as bisexual and after some self discovery and dating another person (in a consensual non-monogamous fashion) she said to me that she is lesbian and is afraid she would not be able to continue in a purely heterosexual relationship.

All in all, we tried our best to make a mixed-orientation marriage work but we both came to the realization that our paths are just too different to continue and it would be best to separate.

It’s been about a month since we decided we’re going to separate and get a divorce. Her friends are aware and I have been telling select friends the truth about my marriage. Those conversations have been surprisingly helpful and I’ve had a lot of positive conversations with my friends.

Now that the holidays are over, it’s time to be real with our families. We plan to tell our parents individually that we’re ending our marriage. She plans to disclose the truth to her parents and I plan to do the same with my parents (with her permission that I tell my parents that she is gay).

Of note, I have a very good relationship with my in-laws and I’m hoping to leave the door open for a relationship with them post disclosure/divorce. However, we are both concerned how this revelation will affect the relationships we have with her parents (due to strong religious views on gay/lesbian relationships). We know that this situation is really going to suck for the short-term and we both want to be supportive of each other through this (we really do want to lovingly end things in a respectful way).

On the other hand, I’m hoping my parents will respect my decision to divorce; all I plan to ask of them is that they be supportive of me and that I can come to them for advice if needed. I don’t need to hear their thoughts on same-sex relationships or what they think of my wife. I want to keep things as plain as can be, especially since I have to have this conversation over the phone as my parents live out-of-state.

I’m wondering what advice anyone has for a straight spouse on telling one’s parents about divorce and also advice on navigating relationships with in-laws.

December 31, 2023 11:49 pm  #2

Re: Now that the holidays are over…how to disclose news to family?

My thoughts are that both of you should be there for both sets of discussions. This makes it obvious that it's a mutually agreed decision. No one is the victim, no one is particularly at fault. As for your in-laws, unless you have kids, I'm not sure why you would have much future contact with them, unless you are present with your ex for some reason. I would hope that knowing that you tried, but want to do what is best for both of you, would be enough solace in what might be a bit of a shocker to them.

Last edited by Daryl (December 31, 2023 11:51 pm)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

January 1, 2024 11:59 am  #3

Re: Now that the holidays are over…how to disclose news to family?

My advice... get everybody together. In-laws, parents, you two....and do it as a group. It might be a good way to avoid the initial "wtf... you're what!" that you might get when telling them separately.... with possibly angry overtones too!.

Look them straight in the eye, don't look down, or raise your voice when they raise theirs.  As a married couple this is your decision, your life

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera