OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2023 7:58 am  #1

Biting my tongue

Hello everyone.

I am one month out of my 18 year marriage to my still lesbian-in-denial wife. I am very glad I made the decision to leave.

I just thought I would share some feelings.

I understand that for many straight spouses, discovering TGT can come as a great shock. In these cases, I can see how forming new relationships after splitting could be particularly difficult, with a lot of time needed to get to a good place.

My position is different in that I would say I buried my suspicions for a long time, endured a dead bedroom for years, and so I don't feel any great loss of a romantic breakup. Like, you know the way you feel when you are in love and you get dumped? I don't really have that for my relationship. I went through a grief process three months ago and that was about ending the marriage - and disappointment that my wife did not have the courage to come out. But I did not feel very much sense of romantic loss. In fact, I so much wanted to hear her tell me she was gay. Thar would have made breaking up easier.

Now when I tell aquaintenances / neighbours /co-workers about my situation and they say "oh, I'm sorry" I feel I'm biting my tongue to stop myself saying "hey, it's fine! My wife was gay! It's not my fault." [The fact that practically none of my friends has expressed the slightest shock or disappointment to hear my news is also, to me, very telling. And they don't even know she's gay! lol]

I feel like I am 100% ready for a new relationship and feel like a teenager waiting for their first kiss. It's like all my patience has run out.

I also want to tell someone how proud I am of my decision making over the past year. Time and again I have made good decisions, including managing to avoid an affair that would probably have messed me up emotionally when what I needed was the clarity to end the marriage before embarking on the challenging world of being single.

Last edited by PJ (December 9, 2023 11:07 am)

December 9, 2023 2:47 pm  #2

Re: Biting my tongue

That's so encouraging to hear 😊

Even thought you may feel ready to start a new r'ship...be extra vigilant and be mindful of your emotional space. And that of any woman you start seeing.

As for telling people and biting your tongue...why shouldn't you tell your own truth! It may be a cleansing (cathartic) and allow you to have a more honest conversation about your life with those that know you well.

You should be proud. You belong to the Straightspouse Pride. Yes yes..bit of a play on words there lol but if the alphabet crowd can call it Straight Pride (that was a thing correct?) then Pride fits perfectly with our journey too

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

December 9, 2023 4:24 pm  #3

This is so wonderful to read. I am happy for you and you absolutely should be proud. Hell I dont know you and am proud of you!! This is a very difficult thing to navigate. It took courage, strength and alot more to leave, but you left a situation that was entirely unfair to you. I wish you the very best.

As for dating, I dated a few, what I would consider high quality women after the disclosure. I was very honest with those women about my head, perhaps too honest. But ultimately, once I decided I was going to be single for awhile is when I found the love I had never experienced. It's been 9 months now and she/we are amazing. To be with someone (after being with someone for 24 years) that actually likes and loves me is a game changer!! You'll get there when you least expect it. 

Be well!!

December 9, 2023 5:45 pm  #4

Thank you Blackie and Ellexoh. Maybe I am indeed being a little hasty and impatient.

Maybe I should continue to see my patience as a virtue rather than allowing myself to get careless of my wellbeing.

Board footera