OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2023 8:26 pm  #1

My wife is spending this week with another woman (for the first time)

Thank you all for sharing your stories and to those who organize this platform. I've been spiraling the last few days and finding this forum has been incredible. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this. 

I'm a 39 year old straight man and I've been married to my wife for 15 years. We have two kids 14 and 9. Several years ago my wife mentioned she was interested in other women. At first, it sounded like something we could do together and find a way forward that could be fun, but it wasn't something I took too seriously. Over the years, it has become more prominent in our conversations.

I love my wife deeply and I consider her my best friend. Every part of this process has been above board and we've openly and honestly communicated our feelings and concerns. She has not cheated.

A few months ago she met a woman she wanted to pursue. This is the first time this happened. I said ok. She asked that woman on a date and they went out to dinner. I told her she had the freedom to explore, but no sex. She ended up staying the night with the woman in her hotel room, they cuddled and kissed but didn't have sex. The next day, the woman invited her on a trip and my wife asked me if she could go. Through several incredibly hard conversations and about four weeks, I said ok. This conversation happened about a month ago and right now my wife is flying to stay with this woman for the next four days. She will have her first sexual experience with another woman either tonight or sometime in the next few days.

I am seriously struggling with all of the insecurities and negative emotions I've read others have/are going through. It feels like "Sophie's Choice" - either I say no, you can't explore this part of you and our marriage dies a slow a death because she feels like she can't express herself, or I say go ahead and explore, and my marriage dies a slow death because she wants to be with other women more than me, or maybe she wants a lifestyle that I am not ok with. I'm no prude, but I also don't want to be a part of some Will and Jada shit either. 

The idea of losing my marriage makes me physically ill. I can't sleep, eat, or concentrate at work, I'm snapping at my kids and I can't help but feel I am being complicit in the end of my marriage. I'm doing my best to accommodate her, but I don't know how much longer I can do this. She says that she wants to have this experience and then we can talk about how we move forward together. She has said over and over that our marriage is primary, but I just don't know. I can't understand this desire she has. I don't need, or want, anything outside of our marriage. I am happy. Why does she need to be with someone else to be happy? 

There is the possibility she has this experience and we find a way to move forward together, as we have discussed. This would look like us having a girlfriend, but I don't know how many couples actually make that type of arrangement work. Is there anyone in this group that has successfully navigated this? Or do most end in divorce? 

I don't know. This might sound crazy to you all, but I sound crazy to myself right now. I feel like I'm falling and have nothing to hold onto. My wife text me on Saturday that she changed her flight to get there earlier so she could have more time there (she was originally schedule to get there on Monday evening). That was a real gut-punch. I told her we should not talk anymore until she gets home, so we aren't talking right now. We usually talk all the time and I am realizing that when I can't talk to her I don't have anyone else in my life that I can have this conversation with. 

Thanks for reading. This has actually been cathartic to write some of this down and I appreciate your support. 

December 3, 2023 9:28 pm  #2

Re: My wife is spending this week with another woman (for the first time)

"..She says that she wants to have this experience and then we can talk.."

We should be enough for our spouses..we should be more than enough. 

I would physically shake when my GX was out (having sex) with her girlfriend.

Please read the first aid thread ..start building your support system..find someone to talk to..priest, therapist, friend family member. Sadly your spouse, the one you usually confide in, is the one hurting you and is not the one that help you.   Our spouses cannot be both tyrant/hurter and counselor..lover/wife and cheater.

Your kids need a strong father..  a wife that is hurting you does not give you strength..she is hurting both you and them.  Your kids needs someone that puts them first.  My love for my kids (and my God) helped me get through this

Wishing you strength and stoicism  on your journey.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 3, 2023 10:30 pm  #3

This would be just about the worst catch 22 situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. And I'm sorry to say it but there's no way to get through it without a whole lotta hurt. 
The fact is...you can't go back now. The woman you married has irreversibly altered your life, her life and the lives of your children. It doesn't even matter if she turned back now and said "I can't go through with it, I've changed my mind" because now you know this truth about her it's the lens you'll see her through. Forever. She's taken what you thought was only yours and given it to someone else. 
You say you're doing your best to "accommodate her" um...What the actual fuck! It's making you "physically ill. I can't sleep, eat, or concentrate at work, I'm snapping at my kids ". Her choices are making you do all that...and you want to sit by and "accommodate her needs" ?

I have one important piece of advice. This is something you can't carry by yourself, you need to find somebody you trust who you can confide in. 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

December 3, 2023 11:56 pm  #4

I highly recommend you do not accommodate your wife's "needs" any longer until you decide what you want and need.

Also, ask yourself this question: would you have accommodated your wife if she told you that she was off to take a vacation with another man she met and they were going to spend the weekend having sex and then she was going to come home and tell you what was next in your marriage?

For whatever reason, when a friend of mine pointed out to me that absolutely no one would find this remotely acceptable if my former spouse had another woman on the side and was doing all of this, it really made the double standard clear. A gay person cheats with someone of their own sex and gets celebrated, supported and accommodated because they have this "need" to explore this part of themselves. Bull shit.

Sex is sex. If you commit to a monogamous relationship, then you don't go off and have sex vacations with other people, who the hell cares what sex they are. And if you care about your partner, you don't go off on your sex vacations while they are getting physically sick at home, waiting for you to come home.

Please find someone you can confide in and talk to. Whether it be a friend, or therapist. The very fact that you are going through this while she's off gallivanting shows that none of this is consensual. And someone in a situation where they were going to open their relationship, or go poly, or have a mixed orientation marriage....they actually have to have a stronger foundation than ever. There cannot be a single crack in that relationship because it takes a ridiculous level of trust and whatever else to make something like that work and not just have it all go down in flames. You are not starting this with a strong foundation and both of you enthusiastically consenting.

December 4, 2023 11:36 am  #5

"The idea of losing my marriage makes me physically ill."

But you are also physically ill doing whatever it takes to accommodate your wife's needs.

One way or another you are going to have to endure some trauma.

If you stay married you can either endure this trauma forever or find a way to negate those traumatic feelings. I have absolutely no clue how you could manage this. Join a swingers club? Meditation? Psychedelics? It is positive that your wife is being above board about it all but that doesn't seem to be making it any easier for you. The results of wild experimentation on your part - especially if coming from desperation rather than a spirit of joyful abandon - would also be unpredictable and maybe even more destructive than simply ending the marriage.

Ending the marriage is also traumatic but this trauma in unlikely to last forever. And it sounds like your wife is 75% there anyway

I left my wife less than a month ago. I also went through a grief process, including bargaining - which is where it sounds you are right now. Now I feel greatly relieved. We are getting on well and our children are also coping really well.

There is light at the end of the separation tunnel. 

Is there light at the end of the marriage tunnel?

Last edited by PJ (December 4, 2023 11:46 am)

December 4, 2023 3:40 pm  #6

ok so my suggestion is to embrace that feeling of falling - go into free fall, think in terms of feathers cushioning your flight.  And recognise the significance - dislodged from the nest.

On the one hand she has said we'll work out what to do next after this trip and on the other hand she has said the marriage is primary to her - these are not compatible statements.  It's like being put through a wringer trying to take both on board.  Yes definitely time to talk with other people, and to take counsel with yourself like you did before you were married.  

December 4, 2023 4:43 pm  #7

I can totally relate to what you're going through.   My husband told me that when he had sex with a man it wasn't cheating or deceitful.   He said that he thought it best to "keep it separate from me and our marriage".  I think that sometimes bisexual spouses rationalize and compartmentalize to justify their behavior.  I don't know how he can say that he loves me when he wants to have sex with someone else.  

December 6, 2023 3:39 pm  #8

I want to focus on your word choices.  You describe your wife's cheating (sorry, she's lying to you about not having a prior sexual experience with this affair partner -- people don't just kiss and cuddle in a hotel) as something you must allow her to "explore" and something you must "accommodate".  How would you feel if she asked you to "accommodate" her desire to "explore" a relationship with a man?

My guess is that would be unacceptable to you because you established monogamy as a bedrock principle in your marriage, and she is flagrantly violating it.  You don't have to allow her latitude to "explore" or "accommodate" another relationship.  What she's doing is "cheating" on you, and that's why you are understandably a mess.  She's also lying to you, and my guess is that honesty was one of your bedrock principles, too.

I tried really hard to keep my marriage together for the kids.  Almost five years after discovering my ex-wife's same-sex affair, I realize that it's far better for kids to be from a broken home than to continue living in one.  It's better for them to have a father who isn't devoting all of his energy to trying to bail out the Titanic after it's hit the iceberg.  And I found a far more rewarding life for myself, my kids, and my family by getting out and remarrying an amazing straight woman who has shown me the obvious benefits of being in a heterosexual, mutually respectful, caring, loving relationship.

d

December 6, 2023 3:50 pm  #9

Doc - I suspect all of this is hard to read. What you wrote is close to what I wrote 1.5 years ago. Now I am with a straight woman who values taking care of me the same way I take care of her. I don't have to say that honesty is key, because we share everything. I would encourage you to get some space from it all. I found that after 23 years with a woman, it turns out I never knew her, only the version of her I hoped she would become but never did/could. I am healthy now, growing as a father, friend, boyfriend, everywhere. I cut off all contact because my ex is the most toxic person I know.

I am not saying this is true for you. I just encourage you to look back and take a clear view and be honest about what actions you've seen, not words you have heard. You may be surprised to find, it was never what you thought/hoped it would be. 

December 8, 2023 10:25 am  #10

Hi Doc,

My experience is different than yours (me cis-f and ex is trans-mtf), however, there are some similarities.  I, too, was married for a very long time and deeply loved my spouse and cared about my marriage of 19 years.  In the beginning, I made a lot of compromises that I was uncomfortable with so that she could experiment with this new life and to try to save our marriage.  However, I found that it was taking a physical and mental toll on me.  In January of this year I asked for a separation.  

No one enters into a marriage expecting it to end in divorce.  It sounds like before this came up, you all had a stable marriage and a deep connection.  Of course you are going to do whatever you can to keep that going after she came out to you.  However, I want you to remember that YOU are important too.  I did the same things as you—told my ex it was ok.  That i would always love him and that we would explore this together.  I took him shopping, helped him dress, did his makeup.  All the while, I didn’t realize what it was doing to me physically and mentally.  Finally, I had a panic attack and broke down and left (5 years ago…came back, did marriage counseling, she swore she wouldn’t transition but here she is going through the process).

I don’t want to dissuade you and tell you it won’t work.  Some people do make it work.  However, I am not in that category.  Please, please, please do not compare your situation to others.  I remember after we separated, I looked around and thought  “I’m such a failure.  There’s all of these people who can do it, why can’t I?”  Please, don’t fall into that trap. You truly need to think only about yourself right now.

It has taken a lot of work, but finally I realized that if I were to stay in my marriage, this is what my life would be.  I would constantly feel like this physically.  I was already resentful.  Staying wasn’t fair to either of us.  I would always be holding her back, and I would be absolutely miserable.  With time and distance comes clarity.  I look back on where I was in January thinking that I could never live without my ex.  That I would never love anyone again or be loved.  But now I realize that while yes I did love her, it wasn’t a healthy love.  In fact, I look back on our marriage now and I wonder why did we get married?  We were both kind people, but that’s about all we had in common.  Do I regret my marriage?  No, but now I realize that while it mattered, it didn’t matter as gravely to me as my own sanity.

My advice is take some time for yourself.  Your feelings are valid.  If you are uncomfortable with something, definitely do not offer it just for her sake or for thinking it will make you love her more.  You need to be able to put down boundaries.  At the end of the day, the decision is yours about what you do.  Don’t worry about what others will think.

Best of luck!  

Board footera