OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2023 1:40 pm  #1

Should I be glad he is gone?

HI, I am reading so many posts on here and I have an uncomfortable question.  I have found out my Husband of 38 years was gay after he died.  I am blindsided by this information but I am thinking that it might not be such a bad thing that he is gone.  It seems to me that many straight spouses are being tortured by their GID spouses.  Do you think you have benefitted by your spouse being alive and able to answer questions?  Sorry for the morbid question.

Last edited by Josephine (October 20, 2023 1:49 pm)

October 20, 2023 3:29 pm  #2

Re: Should I be glad he is gone?

This probably isn't a politically correct thing to say....but I wish my GID husband had died. 

My GX is alive and did not answer any questions. He was incredibly cruel, and continues to be. He destroyed me as a person and decimated my life. And, it looks like I'm going to be paying him in the divorce. So, I actually owe him money for abusing me and abandoning me.

Had he died, it would have been a hell of a lot less humiliating, demoralizing, and soul sucking. Plus, instead of him ruining me financially I would have gotten his life insurance. 

Also, pretty much everyone has sided with him in all of this because of the mass buzz of LQBTQ support. And I've been told to get over it because he's gay, so the marriage wasn't even real (sure thought it was real for the 20 years I was in it). At times I can't even talk about it because people judge me harshly (and I got called homophobic and not supportive of him living his authentic self).

At least a widow gets sympathy and food. And you can just say, he passed away, I'm a widow and people give murmurs of support and many don't press further. 100% wish he was dead.

October 20, 2023 3:55 pm  #3

I'm sorry, Anon2222!  I am really beginning to think that having to deal with people who can't admit what they are , are abusive to those of us who were truthful with our intentions!  I , personally, don't believe that politically  correct applies when someone has destroyed your and your children's lives.  I have no animosity towards Homosexuals just my Husband, who was Homosexual! and lied to me from the beginning of our marriage!  He knew that he should tell me but was too chickenshit to do so!  I'm sorry that your's is also such a coward!  Can you tell I am mad?

October 20, 2023 4:08 pm  #4

well said, Anon!!! hugs.

Yes, it's good to be mad, Josephine.  Well done taking on the reality of it, it is painful but so worth it.

October 20, 2023 5:14 pm  #5

lily wrote:

well said, Anon!!! hugs.

Yes, it's good to be mad, Josephine.  Well done taking on the reality of it, it is painful but so worth it.

Thank you, lily!  I am so angry that I don't know what to do with the anger!  He was such a fckin coward!  How many times did I ask him what was wrong?  How many times did I change my behavior thinking I was the one at fault?!  Did he EVER think about his part in all this?  I know he was confused and he had a brain tumor but did he 
EVERn think it might be something that were his choices????  Had he just told me I could have understood, or at least tried to.!  Instead he talked to other people about his urges and used their support to try out different lives that might suit him better.  How dare he?????  I trusted him and he screwed me!   I was not stupid and could not figure out what was changing!  I just don't know what to do with all this anger!    He always thought he was so much smarter than everyone else but I am smart enough to know how to show my love to people!  How to show them how I feel!  How to follow through with  actions that match my feelings!

!

October 20, 2023 5:36 pm  #6

Canary2 wrote:

These guys are such cowards. I’m convinced they spend years incapable of leaving their spouses, and the whole time are stuffing assets and hiding them in preparation for leaving. My bf had ALL his assets stuffed away in real estate which amounted to over 4 million dollars in homes in the area. Rental properties which were run by gay property manager. One house was used as the hook up location with his male partner. For the longest time, I couldn’t figure out why he had all his money in real estate and virtually nothing in retirement accounts. When I looked up the addresses, only two were in his name. So I think he had them either through his brother or his male partner and did this in order to hide assets from his ex wife during the divorce.

Of course to me, he painted her as greedy, he was the victim. He made himself sound like the hero for having to give her their main house in the divorce. Talked to me all the time about his real estate. Now I know why he was so into real estate investing. I think one of their primary fears is financial ruin during the divorce, so I’m sure they spend years trying to prepare and hide assets.

I do have to say 
that my Husband was not in a place, mentally, where he could screw me financially but if he had been I don't know what he would have done.  I don't really think that was his goal but how do I know at this point?:  When you lie about the basics in life how do you ever know what they're true intentions were??  Did they set out to deceive you or is that the result??

October 21, 2023 11:37 am  #7

Josephine,

.."Do you think you have benefitted by your spouse being alive and able to answer questions".

It's a sick and bizarre thing my GX did. We straight spouses mourn our loss..but there is no funeral and group to comfort us? I'm a widower of sorts. My GX is not dead but she is no longer the person I married.

Have I benefited with her here? Sadly..not so much anymore. In the beginning she was someone that could watch the kids so I had some time off. Not so now that the kids are older. I need some use for her..she is the mother of my children..she still takes them shopping and is helping pay for some of their education..but those costs pale in comparison to the support I'm legally required to pay her. I like to think some of that goes back to the children who I will always support.

She will not answer any questions so no benefit there.

So its sad to say ..I don't wish her dead..but all she seems like now is someone to make life difficult and awkward at the kids future events. Still capable of infinite hurt. I can only pray she becomes kinder in the future.

Last edited by Rob (October 21, 2023 8:14 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 21, 2023 1:58 pm  #8

Josephine,
I realize that you are bewildered as to when, why, how about your husband’s gay history, especially during your marriage.  Of course we want transparency and details so we can move on. Somehow we think they will tell us the whole truth.
Since your husband made this a secret and was great at covering his tracks, except after death, what makes you think he would have been open and honest with telling you these details when alive and certainly only when caught?
Did I benefit from my ex being alive. NO.  Even when caught, he would be very angry and defensive, and briefly explain with lies, white lies, or half truths.  When I knew the truth by looking at our phone records, I’d test him.  “have you had contact with Cindy?”  His answer was a flat out lie.   I am not sure if I was ever told the whole truth about anything.  I just accept the fact that there is more that I don’t know and will never know.  Now that ex is out of my life I don’t care.  I also accept the fact that he is disordered in many ways.
If I hadn’t done some checking and snooping when the subtle flags were starting to fly, I would have always been in the dark.
I sure wish my ex was gone for good.  Even though he did move away to a bigger city, he still manages to try to contact me through various ways although I have No Contact in place.  It borders hovering to stalking under the guise of ex wanting to be friends, you know this 20 yr history and thinking I’d care. Not.  I am aware of my surroundings and heaven forbid when Pride in the Park or the Drag Queen Performance is in my town, I am extra wary of him wanting to stop by.
At the beginning he offered that  he was honest, loyal as a blue tick hound, would never cheat on me, he never cheated on his past two wives (both cheated on him?, odd) and believed in monogamy.  It’s a far cry from the other persona.
The only time that I ‘found out’ about his ‘gayness’ at a young age, was when he had ‘his journey as a trans woman’ on a trans social media site.  Said he discovered that he was gay/different at age 6.  

October 22, 2023 2:27 pm  #9

Norah wrote:

Josephine,
I realize that you are bewildered as to when, why, how about your husband’s gay history, especially during your marriage.  Of course we want transparency and details so we can move on. Somehow we think they will tell us the whole truth.
  I just accept the fact that there is more that I don’t know and will never know.  Now that ex is out of my life I don’t care.  I also accept the fact that he is disordered in many ways.
If I hadn’t done some checking and snooping when the subtle flags were starting to fly, I would have always been in the dark.

Norah, sorry for quoting only part of what you said.  All of it was helpful but I want to focus on the things that we will never know!  I did not find out my Husband was gay until after he died.  Even if I had found out earlier he would never have admitted the truth to me.  I really believe he had such self-hatred that he couldn't really admit the truth.  I have been trying to decide if I should hire a PI but I'm not sure if it would benefit me.  Do I really want to know what he did?  Does it matter?  The only question , in my mind , is did  he cheat and I know in my heart he did!  It was very telling that once I was sure he had cheated, and I didn't know that was with a man, my body would not let me have sex with him.  We tried, but all I could do was cry!  I thank the Lord for protecting me in this way!

November 9, 2023 7:13 pm  #10

I sometimes wonder if I will always be in the dark.  But I do thank the Lord that my body would not allow me to have sex with him.  I can't stress how much the Lord protected me in not letting me have sex with him!  I really don't know what he died from.  His death certificate lists so many causes of death that it is confusing!  I kind of want to add that his cause of death was deception!  

Board footera