OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2023 4:36 pm  #11

Re: Good relationship

@gwendolin

I guess if this touched you, than you must feel the same way!  ❤️

September 7, 2023 6:46 pm  #12

You have lots of great advice. I wish you luck! Sounds like she is being honest, didn't cheat on you, lie to you and disrespect you. If true, then she really does value the relationships, because HER ACTIONS match the words. Keep watching the actions, they tell all. I hope it works out for you man, definitely agree though, feel it all, do not do anything to numb it, doing so gets you through it faster because you deal with it vs. bury it. 

September 8, 2023 8:41 pm  #13

One other thing. Since my wife has come out as lesbian, I see them everywhere now. I can't stop  seeing them lol.
It is kind of funny, but at the same time it's like a trigger for me. Reminds me of what I have loss.
I look forward to the day that I don't care about that anymore, and I think I am getting there. Changing my perspective from seeing it as a loss, to being grateful for what we had. That we were in each other's lives when we  needed to be, and that chapter is done.
I don't want to look back and see it as something sad, but something  to be happy about, that together we went through tough shit, and we helped each other through it.
That our 16 years together, we learned a lot about each other and ourselves.
I hope to take these lessons, skills, experience, eventually into another relationship with the straightest  woman I can find lol.

September 13, 2023 10:04 am  #14

I've decided to make an Instagram account to document my process through this, in hopes that my sharing of my story can help others.
Also looking for anyone else sharing their story, and how they moved forward after their spouses disclosure.
Str8.husband if you want to follow , share and support.
Thank you guys!

Last edited by Corey (September 13, 2023 3:15 pm)

September 13, 2023 3:15 pm  #15

Corey wrote:

I've decided to make an Instagram account to document my process through thus.....

I try to limit the internet sites I'm on....and the time I'm on them!...lol

I did start my own thread on this Forum documenting my journey from the day I decided to separate, ostensibly to make a statement "this is it I'm doing it finally!" but also to have it all in one place.

An Insta may capture some straightspouses though and let them know they're not alone, 
which can only be a good thing

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

October 2, 2023 2:40 pm  #16

Hi Corey!

Man it is such a hard journey to have to go on with young children involved. My husband of 10 years came out as gay in December last year and it has been a tough year navigating shared custody of our three young children. I am confident that in the future (possibly years away) we will be able to be friends again, but until then we remain friendly. And I think that will bridge the gap between being husband and wife and rediscovering a friendship in years to come. I’m not ready to be his friend yet, but I see the value in being friendly and keeping up a civil relationship until we get there. For me, it’s all about the kids. I don’t want them to have parents that can’t stand each other because the only people that really affects is the kids. And they didn’t choose this life either. I constantly check in with myself to make sure I’m recognising my own needs in our current relationship and not putting myself last as I so often did during our marriage. Im learning to be my own advocate and to know that actually, I matter.

So in summary, I think we have the opportunity to pave our own way forward with our exes, plenty of people won’t understand how/why we do it the way that we do it, but I think as long as you are checking in on yourself and constantly evaluating how it is making YOU feel (any act of friendship with her), you will find a new way of being a family with her and your boys.

When I told my therapist about going to various things with my ex and our kids, she was amazed at how I could do that within the first year especially after such a massive betrayal, but she said that as long as I continue to check in on myself and how I feel about it, valuing my own feelings as well as those of my kids, and she knows I can still see his “assholeness” for what it is, that we will find our own way forward as a family.

You can hear the first part of my journey on the Our voices podcast - I am Bridget Walker, and I find it so interesting to listen back to now as so much has changed in the 6 months since then, but I know that those feelings were true and valid and helped shape my journey from there.

Best of luck finding a new way forward with your family!

October 4, 2023 12:01 pm  #17

Thank you for your support. I have been trying to make sure I keep my feelings and emotions first. If I feel that something is bad for my healing or recovery we talk about it, or I don't do said thing.
I've been posting our story on on instagram and I've found that has been therapeutic for me as well as helping other people. I've had a few people message me and thank me for sharing my story which is awesome.

Trying to always be positive and focus on raising our boys and being friends, while also figuring out who I am without her. It is alot to take on and feels overwhelming at times, but everyday it gets easier.

I will listen to your podcast and thank you for sharing your story and your support. Really do appreciate it.
Much love.

#str8.husband

Board footera