OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2023 12:11 am  #1

Married 35 years and POOF, he has moved on

Tomorrow will be three weeks that I finally found the evidence on his phone that he had a whole other group of friends and was actively seeking sex with multiple other people including men and women. Last month I found proof he had been doing hard drugs. Through the last several years I had asked him about both which he fully denied and desperately kept trying to hide. When I pulled out the proof he was still trying to get out of it. In the end, I told him he had to choose between us (our family of a son and granddaughter) or his other group of friends. He took his phone and walked out the door. At that time I knew it was over. I’m going to spare you all the gory details, because our lives have been a mess the last several years, but I was trying so hard to make it work. 

Last week he finally coughed up some details and he has been swinging at parties, that involved both men, women and drugs for a few years. Then he admitted to messing around on me for the last 30 years. He has always been traveling and working weird, long hours our whole lives, or so I thought. At first I felt like a fool and then embarrassed. My heart had been stabbed with all the deceit and lies. I’ve gone through a huge range of emotions and feel like I’m on a roller coaster. 

The day after he moved out I started digging around on websites and found him on a male gay website which has a map, that pinged his phone, showing where he was and his whole profile. Now, most of the things in the profile weren’t a surprise to me as we were very open minded together in the bedroom, but to see it online on an active google type map was shocking. I logged in as an anonymous profile, our home got pinged and I started getting hit up within minutes to meet someone from all over town for sex. There were multiple people in our neighborhood on the map as well. I was appalled that our home was tagged. I found him in a housing area on the other side of town…. active profile and all. I felt sick to my stomach. I came to the full realization that he had another life I suspected, but knew nothing about. 

I refused to let him back in the house and he moved from friend to friend and even sleeping in his truck and in his office for the last several weeks. He rented a duplex, got the keys 5 days ago, and has moved about 80% of his stuff there. Tonight he was telling me his “friend” has moved in and is living with him. His friend used to stop by our house to visit while my husband worked in the garage. They used to work together. His friend is gay. My husband won’t admit it out loud to me, but he too is gay. 

I’ve asked him to not be strung out on drugs when we meet to take care of things, which he agreed to. He is overly friendly to me and refuses to fight. I’ve filed divorce paperwork with a lawyer which should be available next week for us to sign, if we both agree to the terms. We had discussions about how to separate everything and it is pretty equal and the lawyer is basically writing down what we have agreed to. It is going so fast that it feels like a whirlwind. 

Tomorrow it will mark 3 weeks he has walked out the door! Just three weeks! I cry daily, I’m lost, I don’t know what I like to do anymore, I’m starting over. I’m jealous that I’ve just started the whole process and he is years ahead of me. I was working hard to save our marriage while he was out doing heavy drugs and having sex.  He has so easily just left and moved on. My friends are already tired of listening to me. I haven’t shared my husband being gay with them and I’m unsure when I will. 

This week I read the book Gay Husbands / Straight Wives and it is us and our life. I’m amazed so many have gone through the same thing. I no longer feel quite as alone. I’m encouraged after finding this website in the book. 

This weekend I’m getting tested for a whole battery of STDs, which is scary but needed. I have a referral for a therapist and will be making appointments for help in talking through this. I’m writing again, have found a new gym and have headed back to church. Lastly, I’m posting this to this website which is huge for me. I’m generally pretty independent, keep personal issues to myself, and can power through things. But this has brought me to my knees. 

Please offer any words of advice that you feel free to share, kinds words or just encouragement. I am heartbroken and feel like I was just dumped on my face after 35 years. I will get up, I will move onto a better life and I will find myself again. It’ll just take time. 

Best regards,
Tiggerslife 

August 24, 2023 1:45 am  #2

Re: Married 35 years and POOF, he has moved on

Hey Tigger....welcome to our Forum. It's the only place *I* know where everybody knows how I feel, not just be  empathetic but knows the depth of the emotional hole we often find ourselves in.

I have left, 2 months ago...after 38 years...the man I thought I'd always be with. It's an entirely new strange world I find myself in. If it wasn't for my son offering me a room in his house I wouldn't know where I'd be. On the street!?...nah 
It was losing the daily rhythms of my life that has been the hardest. I will have to move out at some point. The man I left, A, can carry on...working, earning good money, spending it lol and sometimes I think "why did you leave!" But I know why I left, and I can't go back now. A expected to 'rekindle us' and he "can't imagine me not being in his life". 
That's not happening. 
I hear life will be good again

Elle 

KIA KAHA                       

August 24, 2023 6:08 am  #3

Tigger,

Welcome.

"...I’m jealous that I’ve just started the whole process and he is years ahead of me.  .."

Don't be jealous...that they can discard us is not normal.    Well it's normal for a morally broken narcissist..but most normal people try to hang on to spouses, friends, things they love.

I think in time you will be thankful .I am ..I thank God everyday for getting me away from such a broken person.

I think it gets better when you surround yourself with moral people who's words and action are true and absolute.   Im years out now and I can assure you the people in my life now will not bring me to my knees in pain and despair.

Wishing you strength and courage.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 24, 2023 9:41 pm  #4

“I have left, 2 months ago...after 38 years...the man I thought I'd always be with. It's an entirely new strange world I find myself in. If it wasn't for my son offering me a room in his house I wouldn't know where I'd be.”

I can so relate to these comments. I too have an adult son and he agrees with everything I have done. He lives with me and we are helping each other through this, including the mortgage payment. Thank you for sharing as I don’t feel quite as alone and that there are others. Hugs to you! 

August 24, 2023 9:49 pm  #5

“Don't be jealous...that they can discard us is not normal. Well it's normal for a morally broken narcissist..but most normal people try to hang on to spouses, friends, things they love…..I can assure you the people in my life now will not bring me to my knees in pain and despair.”

Thank your for your thoughts and words. I haven’t thought of it like this before. If he truly loved me like he said he did, he wouldn’t have done what he did. With time I will move on and am looking forward to the time he will no longer be in my life. Thank you! 

August 25, 2023 7:58 am  #6

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. You are a strong woman, and you'll get through it. I have learned to embrace the grief stages because it's the only way to heal and truly get to the other side. It's a rollercoaster of emotions, but lean on those who love you. I dealt with my GID husband's shenanigans for three years without telling any of our friends. I moved from shame and guilt by confiding a good friend I trusted. I also had a good therapist! You will see brighter days! Keep posting here....this group has helped me make the hard decisions. 

August 25, 2023 11:00 am  #7

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  We get it.

As for words of encouragement?  You will make it as you move into a new phase in your life.  And that phase can be nothing but better since you will no longer be married to a gay man who is a drug-addicted serial cheater, shows you zero respect, has potentially exposed you to STDs, and places zero value on you as a beautiful wife, woman and mother.  It's a tough road ahead, but that road will lead to a much better life for you.

August 31, 2023 6:36 pm  #8

Hi Tiggerslife - This is a hard time for you. Lots of change. Take the time to just let it settle. But I'm going to say what I feel in my gut which is, Girl, you are soooo much better off without that man. I mean, sooo much better.At some point all that drug use is going to make him a very physically sick man. You won't have to be his caretaker. Bravo to you for taking that step for your future. Be sure you get what you deserve in the divorce. Don't forget pensions or 401ks etc. Don't be so kind that you are putting yourself in a bad situation later. Oh and when his new partner dumps him, do NOT take him back. Close that chapter. There's a new book waiting, you'll see. 

August 31, 2023 7:13 pm  #9

It hurts my eyes to read what happened to you! I'm so very sorry for you. It's terrible this should happen.
It's not your fault in any way. His sexual orientation is no excuse for his behaviour. 
Dutchman.

August 31, 2023 9:20 pm  #10

I am sorry that you are going through this. But I am glad that you at least find out the truth about your husband so that you can move on with your life. The gay website that you mentioned which has a map on, is it sniffies? I am suspecting my husband could be gay too, that’s why sometimes I go to it as anonymous and see if there is anyone pop up near our house. I wonder if there are any other websites/ apps that similar to sniffies that they are using to meet up.
How often was your sex during the relationship? I am just curious if you have years without sex like me?

Board footera