OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2023 12:25 pm  #1

Hollywood

Does anyone else think that the LGBTQ community is overrepresented on TV and in movies?   Perhaps it's to make up the many years of underrepresentation.    My husband and I often watch TV together in the evening and now that I know that he's sexually attracted to men, I feel uncomfortable when I wonder what he's thinking & feeling during some of these shows.  

July 30, 2023 1:17 pm  #2

Re: Hollywood

Yes.

I also hate the double standard. I have watched many a tv show now that portrays the gay spouse as the hero in the narrative for cheating on his wife and everything else, but then having the courage to come out and live his authentic self. And a lot of the times, the wives are portrayed very poorly. 

Near the end, I actually hated watching tv with my ex. Never realized just how tense I was. Everything we watched glorified LGBTQ. Now I can relax and actually enjoy watching tv (and just skip over the parts I don't care about).

July 30, 2023 1:44 pm  #3

Yes, and it seems to be EVERYWARE, and the LGBTQ lifestyle is glorified as so fun and hip. 

July 30, 2023 2:57 pm  #4

Yes. And it doesn't matter what genre of movie or tv series you're watching...at some point the quiet, good-looking detective ends up in bed with the younger colleague or the socialite takes advantage......blah lol
...I see it, I expect to see it! and because of that I'm becoming, thankfully, immune to it. I tend to grimace, mutter "of course there's a gay element" and continue watching if the scriptwriting and scenario are better than the reason to include the gay element. Sometimes the woke-ness of it is laughable.

I know this only matters to me because A was bisexual, my grandson is trans and this means I feel doubly lost. I'm not a partner, don't feel like a grandmother, contact with my family is now 'different'. Talk about identity crisis! I don't know who the fuck I am anymore....and I'm straight.

Tongue in cheek it may be but I think movies and tv programmes should have a GE...Gay Element rating 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 30, 2023 7:54 pm  #5

But the people who MAKE the shows all live within the vicinity of West Hollywood.  What they are showing on TV is phony, sure.  But a huge percentage of people live an LGBTQIA+ lifestyle.

Which is why it is all the more maddening when we still are forced to deal with the f@*#% closeted ones!!!

July 31, 2023 6:31 am  #6

I love the GE rating idea!   

I think that it's true that there are a disproportionate number of LGBTQ creative writers in Hollywood.

I think that a show or movie about a straight spouse and a family torn apart would be very compelling. 

July 31, 2023 6:41 pm  #7

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

Tongue in cheek it may be but I think movies and tv programmes should have a GE...Gay Element rating

Yup, we have enough GE in our lives.

August 1, 2023 1:52 pm  #8

M-Kate wrote:

I think that a show or movie about a straight spouse and a family torn apart would be very compelling. 

I was disappointed in "Grace and Frankie".  The first few episodes were actually pretty realistic, but then it just became a feel-good sitcom.

The part I wished was real, was the part where the wives got to live together in a beach house in La Jolla, living out their comfortable retirement with a BFF who knew exactly what the experience was like, because it had happened to them, too.  

August 1, 2023 5:54 pm  #9

I believe the most recent statistic is that 7.1% identify as LGBTQ+. Any show would have to have about 20 characters to have one person identify. The LGBTQ+ population is way over represented and my bi husband would agree. Even he is tired of seeing it in just about everything we watch. That’s when he turns on the old school shows on MeTV.

August 1, 2023 9:48 pm  #10

The other day I told my son that based on the recommendations I get from Netflix they think I am a lesbian.

And don’t get me started on the coverage of the New York Times!

But I will always support LGBT+ (just not pride parades for me any longer).

Board footera