OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2023 9:01 pm  #1

Serious Illness

Has anyone faced diagnosis with a life altering illness shortly after their spouse made their big announcement and walked out?

Married 20 years. Just shy of filing the divorce papers (have to be separated for a year first). 

Facing potential medical issues. At this point I have no idea how serious we're talking about...but I have an urgent brain and spine MRI being booked because I keep losing the ability to use my right arm. I've had health issues for years but suddenly a lot more weird symptoms. The doc thinks that the destruction of my life that happened in the past year, combined with the stress, overworking, eating crappy, depression and everything else that goes with the mind fuck may have triggered something.

Not gonna lie. I'm kinda scared shitless. I pray it's "nothing" (say a pinched nerve or something) vs what else they are ruling out....but I feel so alone. I thought these were the things in life where I would have my husband's support. Instead, I'm left facing this all alone...

When he left, he told me that he would always be there for me. Spoiler alert: he wasn't. 

July 25, 2023 10:56 pm  #2

Re: Serious Illness

I pray you're OK.

It's a scary thing..that these spouses would not take care of us should we get sick or injured ..something they vowed to do.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 25, 2023 11:46 pm  #3

Hi Anon2222,

I am really sorry to hear you are going through this and I hope you get better soon. It happened with me. November 2020 she told me she was “not heterosexual” (her words) for the first time and wanted to end our relationship and keep the house. I knew something was off for a long time in our relationship but she was able to divert any conversation about it. Sex became mechanical and emotional intimacy and affection decreased after we got married. We were together for 6 years, 3 of them married. I couldn’t sleep after disclosure and started taking a prescribed medicine for that. In March of 2021 I had a stroke (but no known lasting impact). In April of 2021 I started having neuropathy in both of my legs. In November of 2021 I started having pain in my joints (knee, hip, back). In December of 2021 my legs started swelling. I went to 7 doctors and no one identified anything wrong. In February of 2022 I was reading about the medicine I started taking to sleep and in some websites there were indications of rare occurrences matching what was going on with me. I think doctors didn’t look into this due to the time between starting the medicine and the symptoms. I stopped taking it and most of the symptoms ended in 3 months. There was no way to prove the medicine was the cause. The only issue that remained was my back. I had a re-herniated disk, I went through all the less invasive recommendations and finally decided for a second surgery in January of 2023 (surgery in March). I lost my job in 2022 (reorganization) and decided to wait for my situation to improve before finding another. I am in my 50s and saved enough not to be concerned for a few years. I am 4 months post surgery now and still recovering. The last 2 years were brutal. I had a lot to process during this time and resting and not working actually helped me a lot. I am in a completely different place mentally and can now understand much better her personality, my own and how we ended up where we were. I have much more peace in my life now (despite recovering and being jobless) than what I had in the last year of our relationship. Being with someone that is hiding something from you can be very detrimental to our health. It is abuse. She did help me during my recovery but I have been emotionally detaching from her during the last few months.

I hope with time you will be able to see the relationship you had with different eyes and appreciate the fact that you are free from it. I am almost 3 years post disclosure now and look forward to a very simple life ahead without unnecessary excitement.

VPPN

July 29, 2023 12:51 am  #4

Thank you for the responses!

Of course the symptoms have improved substantially the last couple of days....and I get left with feeling like I'm going crazy....

But I have an MRI booked for Wednesday. It's weird wishing for it to actually show something. But, I'm just so tired of the run around. I've had weird symptoms for almost 10 years, but tests don't show anything conclusive. And over the past few years, my ex started getting increasingly frustrated with me because I couldn't hold up my end of the housework or whatever because of the issues (I swear he was getting to the point where he thought I was just making it up). I have started to feel like maybe I am making it up....

Except in the past year, with him gone, I've still had the same issues and they've gotten worse. And I can't see how your entire arm going numb or having lightning bolt pains shooting down it can be normal!

I feel like it's a long shot that I'll ever get an answer. But, there's still the little bubble of hope.

I also read over my divorce papers today. If that isn't a depressing experience, I don't know what is! He has now decided to just not talk to me, which is making everything stupid annoying. I had already cut all contact to email only, specifically regarding the divorce. But now he won't even answer basic questions related to just getting this stupid process over with already. He was so gung-ho for the divorce and wasn't open to any other options...and now he's just making this way harder than it needs to be. Sigh. 

Board footera