OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2023 10:07 am  #1

He thinks being gay/bi is not the real reason our marriage is over

My husband of 17 years, together 21, recently came out to me as what he considers bi, but really seems gay as I am the only woman he's ever dated or been interested in.  We've been having problems for years.  I would say since our first child was born 14 years ago and we started trying for #2.  He started having a lot of problem with ED and not being interested for a whole host of reasons.  Bad allergy season made him too tired at night, working too many overtime hours, just couldn't maintain erection, my crocheting at night made him feel like I was uninterested in him and distracted.   I let things go, we eventually used IVF after 4 years.  He didn't want to, I think he knew then and wanted out but couldn't say anything.

He told me recently that as a teenager, he only dated men and was only interested in men.  He never told me this.  He had previously only told me about his 2 single women he sort of dated and just left things vague.  He said he never had a serious long term relationship as a teenager or in college.  I didn't either, so I didn't find this strange. 

now he tells me there were lots of relationships, both his parents knew he was gay and his college roommate.  No one ever said anything to me.   This is the part that is hard.  How did so many people know and never say anything to me.  I feel like such a fool.    He told me he came out of a bad/unsafe relationship where he was almost raped.  He said when he met me and I was clearly interested in him, he thought he could have a normal life, like everyone else.  A wife and kids and he just closed off that part of his life.  He ghosted all his friends that knew he was gay and never said anything.

I feel like our whole relationship was built on lies and secrets.  This wasn't something he came to, he knew.

There was an incident about 8 years ago, when our youngest child was an infant.  He was on a business trip and got taken advantage of at a bar.  probably a team of a bartender and a woman.  He got robbed.  He says now he knew he didn't really do anything be he knew at that point that he was only interested in men.  He tells me this now.  But even 8 years ago, he knew.  He felt guilty and told me about it all right away.  It was hard for him but we moved past it.

I feel like this was the start of our problems.  From here on, he always felt there was a problem with our relationship that wasn't him.  It was always someone else's fault.   Never his fault.  It got worse after the pandemic, we were on lockdown for a long time.  I became unemployed and he was working for home under the threat of layoff for a year.  We didn't return to the office really ever.  

He started staying up late (3 am) or later, sleeping in late, so we hardly saw each other.    He became angry and distant.  We talked about there being problems, but I was mostly blamed.  I had changed too much.  I had ppd and I really struggled after my 3rd.  

He is also afraid to tell anyone he knows.  All his friends are conservative republicans.  He would lose all his friends.  There are no gay people in his circle.  

So now I'm keeping his secret.  I'm angry all the time at him.  For lying to me all these years.  For still being blamed for so much.  he does nothing around the house and I'm tired of asking.  I figure I might as well just keep doing it all so when we're divorced , its nothing new.   

I told him we should stay together for a few more years, for financial reasons and for the kids.  He makes twice as much as I do.  I'll never catch up.  I've taken too much time off work for the kids.  My career has been too limited.  Of course until this, I was happy with my career.  I was ok with making so little.  He made plenty.  We were a team.

I don't love him anymore.  I don't even like him.  I would not choose to spend time with him.  When we have gone on vacation, he was miserable.  Probably for the last 2 years.  

I don't have any friends.  I've never been good at making friends and I've only had a handful of real friends.  They've all fallen apart.  I have my parents close by, for which I'm glad, but I haven't told them.  I feel ashamed and embarrassed.  Also, my only other family besides my parents is his family.  We've become quite close.  I worry I would lose them or at the very least it would be come strained and distant. 

So right now, we sleep together in the same bed, don't talk much, eat dinner together with the kids and are unhappy.  I don't even know what advice to ask for for you.  But I haven't told anyone any of this, much less all of it.  I wish we had a spare bedroom.    

July 10, 2023 12:55 pm  #2

Re: He thinks being gay/bi is not the real reason our marriage is over

You tell your parents..maybe not all but gradually. 

I dont know the quality of his family but it's hard as families tend to be loyal.   For resample I love my fatherland but he did not believe me when I told him what his daughter was doing..his loyalty will always be with his daughter.

You need to build a support system as it will eat you up..I would physically shake and there was little my spouse (now GX) could do for support as she was the one causing the problem..she would ridicule me for crying which was hurtful but also then lie and say I was crazy when I pointed out things (pure definition of gaslighting)..which was more troubling and malevolent. 

Your support system could consist of your parents, therapist, priest/pastor.  Friends are good ..but don't think they are an absolute answer..most friends I told could not wrap their head around the gay thing.  What I found some comfort in was talking to strangers. I could see how normal they were.  How truthful they were..  how my then wife was not.

Build your support system.  Baby steps..dont think you need to solve everything in one day.  But try to take positive steps forward..for yourself and kids.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 10, 2023 2:12 pm  #3

I'm so sorry you are going through this story but I see some similarities. My husband of 17 years and 3 children also came out as bisexual.  This was after I found out that his close 'friends' whom he started to hang out with in 2019 were a gay couple. However, he specifically spent a lot of time with one of them (Bill). After counseling sessions and many nights of despair on my end trying to fix us, he admits that he was bisexual.  It also wasn't until years later that I found naked pictures of men and he told me about his homosexual encounters. Ironically, my husband was on a work trip and claims he was drugged and taken advantage of.  We had years of issues in the bedroom and I suppressed my sexual needs because of how he made me feel. Now I understand it as gaslighting and blame-shifting. 

Please tell your family. Don't walk through this alone! I told one of my sisters, confided in one trusted friend, and got a therapist. There were MANY dark days and nights but I made it through it (May 27th is the date of my legal separation).  Confiding in my good friend and telling her everything gave me the strength to change my situation. I too walked with guilt and shame but WE did nothing wrong! 

July 10, 2023 3:55 pm  #4

Bella Bella Bella....this is not your secret and yes it is his secret to tell. But his secret is ruining your life and you are in charge of that, not your scared dishonest husband. 

The man I left 2 months ago doesn't want people to know about his other life either, but there are several close friends and family who know and I've realised that this subject is so taboo for many to talk about that none of them feel confidant to confront him about it anyway so it's like my fear of being ostracised in my circles haven't come to fruition. It gets easier to talk about it the more you say the words. Hearing them in your own ears as you tell somebody close makes them more real.
There will come a point when you realise that this is crushing you and Bella that's just not right!  To separate what's happening to you, what's happening to your marriage you'll have to see yourself as the important one in your life, not just as an adjunct to his. 
I know what you mean when you say you were a team.
A. and I were too but we're not anymore. It took me 6 years to pull myself out of the unhappiness. And yes it's great to have a spare room. It was the start of a separation, it gave me a place that was mine, not ours. But I still had to do lots of work inside my head to put myself first.

If you haven't seen a lawyer yet....get one
We are here for you Bella

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 10, 2023 3:59 pm  #5

You are telling him that you think that both of you should stay together "for a few more years, for financial reasons and for the kids." The fact that he has been telling you all these things now suggests to me though that he is trying to  get you to accept whatever he wants and may make changes sooner rather than later..

Knowledge is power I suggest that you find out now how divorce, support and child custody would look like for you under the laws where you live. You may be in a stronger position than you think. Don't tell him if you consult an attorney but tuck the information into your memory bank as you decide how much longer you really want sham to continue.

It may be helpful to not tell your family what is going on until you know the path that you want to take. That way you are less likely to be talked into not "rocking the boat." 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

July 17, 2023 6:06 pm  #6

Bella, I’m hurting for you.  I sympathize with a lot of what you said, him saying it’s not the reason for your marriage issues, laying in bed beside this person who feels like a stranger now…
but I encourage you to tell your parents… if they’re stable and otherwise supportive of you emotionally then they will be in this too.   I personally know the shame you feel, but have learned that it is not OUR shame to bear.   I have a small circle of support now and no one shames me.  They love me.  I think you’ll be surprised at how the telling (to trusted people) feels like a little weight lifted off.

Last edited by Tara (July 17, 2023 6:06 pm)

Board footera