OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2023 4:58 pm  #11

Re: Im new, it hurts. I love her, but WTF? - Seeking connections...

Thanks Blue Bear, yes it's not exactly every woman's dream to become a side kick helping to keep a MOM afloat is it.

Euroguy, what I think (I am 68) is that you are 50 now, it's a great age, and for all the turmoil this has thrown your family into, it's also potentially given you a chance to find the right woman, the one that fits with you.  

Last edited by lily (May 12, 2023 4:59 pm)

May 20, 2023 9:30 am  #12

Blue Bear wrote:

I'm sorry you are here, but glad you found us.

I sense that very few guys have successfully evolved into a MOM.  If you are going to go that way, you have to accept a lot of things that are likely unacceptable to you.  For myself, there's no way that I wanted to be married to an adulterous lesbian who wasn't interested in guys and really only had use for me in maintaining a heterosexual facade.  And if you decide to remain in the marriage but have a heterosexual side chick, your pool of women who are willing to accept your situation is quite shallow.  And more importantly, I wanted to be in a real, mutually respectful, monogamous, heterosexual relationship rather than the shitshow my ex-wife unilaterally imposed upon me.

Can a MOM be done?  Sure.  But do you really want to given the baggage that comes with it?

MOM’s can work an absolute treat so long as both parties abstain from sexual and romantic relationships. If the wife wants one it is for a very good reason. As has been quite rightly pointed out, the straight man will have great difficulties in attracting another women to play an active role in his life. The lesbian wife is free to do whatever she wants to as she is likely to already be involved in a relationship already. The man is still expected to provide all that he does already. MOM’s with gay wives sound like a solution. In practice they are soul destroying unless the man is happy with what he is left with. Ultimately, unlikely.

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

May 26, 2023 5:36 pm  #13

EuroGuy23 wrote:

My story - 
Straight M, 50. Married to 2nd wife 15 years, truly love her, we have two young boys 10, 6. Three weeks ago, she came home from a yoga retreat and disclosed to me that she's Bi, perhaps L, and realized on the trip that she is in love with L woman she has been "close friends" with for the past 8 months. She said she loves me and our family, I am (her words) an amazing man, husband and father, but she just can't get from me what she gets from her girlfriend. They are fully involved in the relationship now after this trip, both emotionally and physically.

Welcome, EuroGuy23. I'm really sorry this happened to you.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation after my wife of 14 years said a moth ago that she wants to try relationships with other women.
At first, I was also thinking about MOM, but I really can't see how this can work.

It's not really a marriage. A marriage (at least that's my opinion) is a union of a man and a woman who promised to be together through good and bad, and be faithful to each other till the end. But my "wife" does not want to be with me. She wants to have relationships with other people. Our relationship is not great, though we are talking much more than in the past several years. But it's mostly me forcing her to discuss our situation. I feel her pulling away from me, avoiding me. How would her having hot carefree dates with other people want her to be with me more? I don't believe this will improve our situation. Especially considering that every such date would hurt me a lot.

My thinking now is that the best thing I can do for myself and the kids is to have an amicable separation (while we're not enemies), staying friends, and I'll be off looking for another wife who would actually want to be with me.

I keep reading here how some straight wives here are asking their "husbands" for sex, or trying to look sexier for them. It's mind blowing to me that this can be the case. I want that. Is that too much to ask? How sad is that?

But you can have it better. You can find a woman who would want to be with you. And you can still coparent the kids. Probably. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

You can get though this. And if you want to talk, you can send me a private message, so we could connect. Though I must admit that I too want to talk, so I'm not sure who would be helping who.

May 27, 2023 2:43 am  #14

Wow, the replies here are so helpful and so so appreciated. Thank you all for your time and attention, and wisdom.

My update - no MOM. After reading this site and really looking at the reality, it's clear that in our situation all the benefits go to her and drawbacks to me.

Several replies pointed out that it's hard to find a woman who would sign up for any of that mess, and I agree, especially in central Europe where I live, things are way more traditional here.

We are separating this week, and working out child care and custody. I never would have imagined this is where I'd be four weeks ago when we kissed goodbye for her yoga retreat in front of our house, as she jumped into the car with the woman who would ultimately destroy or marriage.

I will continue to return here, and yes I will send DMs to those of you who asked. Thank you so much.

Your words of reassurance, of caution, and honesty have been so helpful to me, I am so grateful.

Last edited by EuroGuy23 (May 27, 2023 9:20 am)

May 27, 2023 8:25 am  #15

EuroGuy23, please post as much as you need to. We have all been in your situation and we know yours shock and pain.

June 27, 2023 11:57 am  #16

Unfortunately there seems to be two types of late life Lesbians.
Type A) The ones who come to the realisation on their own. They tend to be full of regret and contrition about the situation they find themselves in with a straight husband. These are probably the ones that have most chance of continuing. These women have also probably wrestled with their same sex attractions for some time. Only realising what this means due to a trigger in their own lives. I tend not to subscribe to the notion of orientation fluidity, preferring to see the attraction itself as fluid. The orientation itself being somewhat more fixed. Many of these women turn to counselling to help them realise what it is that they are feeling. It is gradual and can be managed. Some women choosing to remain married for security and often in celibacy. They often still love their husbands and lives. But, make more informed decisions about their future while respecting their husbands and families welfare.

Type B) Type B’s always seem to have a facilitator involved. Quite often a Goldstar lesbian. These women tend to go full on into infatuation with an individual was seen to be helping and supporting them. Lesbians themselves always tend to suggest that the predatory Lesbian is nothing more than a trope. Yes, and no. Not all Lesbians are predatory woman chasing monsters who turn straight women for a kick. Of course they are not. But, some of them are. I know of three women who went full Lesbian out of the blue and straight into an affair with a Goldstar. They broke their own families apart and went into full limerence with their new loves. Disregarded their husbands and own children to live as an “authentic self” in a new rainbow life.
Some time afterwards, as their husbands had moved on they came back. Now depressed, lost and full of regret. Saying bizarre things like “I think I am Bi now” or even one guy who’s wife is now “definitely not gay anymore”. As soon as the initial relationship died away, so did the gayness. The focus of their attention was on the individual who “helped to free them from the chains of heteronormativity”. The sad thing is, who won in the end? Nobody at all, apart from the instigator I suppose. Broken families, broken husbands and broken wives, divorces and acrimony. There was one resource i read about employing psychological techniques to help women who thought they were straight to “realise” they were queer. It actually went into an initial paragraph about how actually unethical and wrong it was to even try it , before going in to the step by step details about how to do it. If you have the knowledge, the time and the opportunity, you can convince anybody of anything.

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

June 27, 2023 7:23 pm  #17

When I moved into my own place I joined a bridge club.  Nowadays I tend to believe there are more lesbians than straight women once you include the married ones.  Over these last years I have watched a married lesbians couple go through an agonising break up.  The more butch one has wanted to make an honest woman out of the more femme one forever.  No go so when her marriage broke up she got a new husband who has now died and so then she puts the hard word on her partner again to no avail, she has elected to stay in her very long term marriage.  In her finest hours the femme one feels torn between love for her partner and loyalty to her husband the provider and father of her children.  Mainly though, I would not be surprised to find she has a new girlfriend in the future, now her old one has moved away from the area.

For all his gratification in her staying with him, it is hard to explain how much less than himself her husband looks because he does look a lot better than he did a few months ago but oh something gone like a string on a guitar.  It still hurts on some subtle level just to see him.  

Come to think of it it reminds me of how I felt as a young woman when I left my ex and was staying with my brother and he came after me, saying he loved me and wanted me to return and I did only to feel this deflated empty feeling once I did.  Oh why didn't I leave right then! 

Board footera