OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2023 7:25 am  #1

Adult daughter looking for support

Our daughter is home for the summer. Last weekend we told her that her dad is gay and that we are getting a divorce. My daughter is 21 years old, and very open minded. She is straight. She is looking to connect with someone who has gone through this situation. My husband, her dad, wants to control the rumor mill as much as possible, but also wants to support us both in this journey. My daughter also wants to protect her dad, as she loves him very much. However, she really wants to connect with young adults who have been through this situation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
On another note, last time I posted, I said I would not post again due to the negative comments I recieved. My situation is very different than most. Our family is going to look different, but we are still a family who is loved deeply. I am asking for positive comments only, Thank you for understanding. 

Last edited by TeeWee (May 18, 2023 7:26 am)

May 18, 2023 9:18 am  #2

Re: Adult daughter looking for support

I promise you that you will never hear a negative comment from me. I am glad that your daughter understands and still loves her dad. You do what is best for you. Our situations are  all different. I will hold a good thought for you.

May 18, 2023 1:41 pm  #3

TeeWee - I'm glad your daughter is open to connecting with young adults in the same situation. I hope she finds a sound support system.
You are right - every Family looks different, and that's OK! Nobody should feel judged for strategically making love the foundation to dissolve a marriage most amicably. I understand it's not everyone's story, but I'm happy it works for some.  I am doing the same. We have a Family vacation planned next weekend! This doesn't ignore the pain caused, but I chose to make the best decisions for myself and my Family. Implementing boundaries has helped.  I wish you and your family well. 

May 26, 2023 7:16 pm  #4

Hi - I'd suggest your daughter connect through GLAAD.org. They have a lot of resources for family members.

Board footera