OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2023 7:44 pm  #1

admins censoring content

I have been told by another poster that Sam acting as admin has removed several of her posts about autogynephilia and cross-dressing, who has (erroneously) informed her that her posts were "political" and unsupported by current science (which is untrue). She provided quotes from Sam's posts.

I will no longer be posting here.

April 26, 2023 9:27 pm  #2

Re: admins censoring content

Can you say what posts OOhC...?

I think if anything has turned 'political' it'll be OurPATH.
Is the straightspouse story being cancelled because of the current trend of Inclusiveness?

The Forum will be lacking without your input. Please don't leave

E

KIA KAHA                       

April 26, 2023 9:51 pm  #3

I agree with Elle. You have provided so much insight and support on this forum, you would be greatly missed.

From my brief dive into the literature, it appears that the term "autogynephilia" has fallen out of favor and more research tends to use the term "female embodiment fantasies". I mean, looking at the original definition of autogynephilia from the 1980's, some of it has changed and been disproven....but the basic concept continues to remain, it is just being argued that it is normal. And it is incredibly common for research to evolve over time and I'm not surprised that the base generalization has changed somewhat.

But this doesn't negate the fact that the basic principle still exists, where there is a subset of trans women who find the thought of being a woman themselves erotic. And there is still the ongoing concept of cross-dressing vs transitioning. 

Overall, I think it is a heavily nuanced topic....and it is entirely fair for a straight spouse to describe their situation how they see fit. Honestly, the political correctness required now a days grows exhausting. Because you have experienced "x" that just so happens to not be the prevailing theory of the time, doesn't mean that you are wrong. And, so long as there aren't people screaming hate speech back and forth, I do not see the need for censoring. It is still very much a common theory, that is evolving over time. And I'm sure our opinions/theories will change once again in another couple decades.

Just because this trend of inclusiveness tries to push that anything and everything is wonderful and fully acceptable....doesn't mean we all have to agree.

May 15, 2023 4:18 pm  #4

OutofHisCloset wrote:

I have been told by another poster that Sam acting as admin has removed several of her posts about autogynephilia and cross-dressing, who has (erroneously) informed her that her posts were "political" and unsupported by current science (which is untrue). She provided quotes from Sam's posts.

I will no longer be posting here.

Can you let me know who is making this claim?

We just posted podcast on that very topic.

Please don't bail until we can investigate. And if it happens again, please contact me directly at president@ourpath.org

May 15, 2023 4:21 pm  #5

Anon2222 wrote:

I agree with Elle. You have provided so much insight and support on this forum, you would be greatly missed.

From my brief dive into the literature, it appears that the term "autogynephilia" has fallen out of favor and more research tends to use the term "female embodiment fantasies". I mean, looking at the original definition of autogynephilia from the 1980's, some of it has changed and been disproven....but the basic concept continues to remain, it is just being argued that it is normal. And it is incredibly common for research to evolve over time and I'm not surprised that the base generalization has changed somewhat.

But this doesn't negate the fact that the basic principle still exists, where there is a subset of trans women who find the thought of being a woman themselves erotic. And there is still the ongoing concept of cross-dressing vs transitioning. 

Overall, I think it is a heavily nuanced topic....and it is entirely fair for a straight spouse to describe their situation how they see fit. Honestly, the political correctness required now a days grows exhausting. Because you have experienced "x" that just so happens to not be the prevailing theory of the time, doesn't mean that you are wrong. And, so long as there aren't people screaming hate speech back and forth, I do not see the need for censoring. It is still very much a common theory, that is evolving over time. And I'm sure our opinions/theories will change once again in another couple decades.

Just because this trend of inclusiveness tries to push that anything and everything is wonderful and fully acceptable....doesn't mean we all have to agree.

We just posted a podcast on this very topic so it seems weird that we would censor any thing related unless wrong. Inappropriate or dangerous

May 16, 2023 8:31 am  #6

I can understand why you no longer won't to post.Not everyone is teated the same here. You can still help people through private messages and e mails. I wish you all the best.

May 16, 2023 1:19 pm  #7

Bill770 wrote:

Please don't bail until we can investigate. And if it happens again, please contact me directly at president@ourpath.org

I find it surprising that somebody from admin would post the above....alluding to the president and using the word "me". It sounds, and reads, unprofessional.
I don't know what's happening to this site, to the Forum.... But it feels to me that calling something "too political" might mean those in OnePath 'high places' don't want to step on somebody's toes.

Is it OnePath who are getting too political?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

May 16, 2023 2:09 pm  #8

Political ... such an interesting word but usually a copout when the facts are known.

OurPath works very hard to remain neutral as we help people select the right path for them and their families. After further review, it seems the post in question was indeed inappropriate. The poster that was deleted said essentially that transgender is fake and people need to stay the gender they were born with. The message sent to her when she asked why she was deleted said, " Your Post was unhelpful and contained an opinion not supported by current psychology."  Actually the post that was deleted was the second by that person with similar thinking.

This action was taken after a complaint by another poster.

Our policy is simple and non-political: 
 Any discussion of LGBT related issues is acceptable provided it remains constructive and respectful of other viewpoints. Hateful, degrading, or prejudiced speech and/or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

nuff said.

Last edited by Bill770 (May 16, 2023 2:11 pm)

May 16, 2023 2:42 pm  #9

Bill770 wrote:

Political ... such an interesting word but usually a copout when the facts are known.

OurPath works very hard to remain neutral as we help people select the right path for them and their families. After further review, it seems the post in question was indeed inappropriate. The poster that was deleted said essentially that transgender is fake and people need to stay the gender they were born with. The message sent to her when she asked why she was deleted said, " Your Post was unhelpful and contained an opinion not supported by current psychology."  Actually the post that was deleted was the second by that person with similar thinking.

This action was taken after a complaint by another poster.

Our policy is simple and non-political: 
 Any discussion of LGBT related issues is acceptable provided it remains constructive and respectful of other viewpoints. Hateful, degrading, or prejudiced speech and/or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

nuff said.

In the context of what is supposed to be a straightspouse safe space do you not think a traumatized-by-a-member-of-the-lgbtq-community straightspouse might be allowed leeway for what is a truly confusing emotional time... or at least an initial reminder to tone it down?
There are two opposing beliefs here. Both relevant. It seems the straightspouse is being sent to the back of the room so the transgender can be front and center

E

KIA KAHA                       

May 16, 2023 5:07 pm  #10

The person who complained was a newbie straight spouse, not a Trans person. I don't know how things are on your side of the world, but trans-bashing is becoming a political tactic here, as gay-bashing was not that long ago. The person whose posts I deleted was not removed from the Forum or banned. 

Board footera