OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2023 10:55 am  #1

I don't want to be in a queer relationship...

My fiancé (27/male) came out to me as "bisexual" recently. I wasn't shocked because part of me always knew that he was "gay" or "bi".

I hate to say it but I don't want to be in a "queer" / mixed-orientation relationship as a straight woman. Is it okay to feel this way?

I identify as straight and I would rather be with a straight man...

April 21, 2023 2:19 pm  #2

Re: I don't want to be in a queer relationship...

MissCandy wrote:

My fiancé (27/male) came out to me as "bisexual" recently. I wasn't shocked because part of me always knew that he was "gay" or "bi".

I hate to say it but I don't want to be in a "queer" / mixed-orientation relationship as a straight woman. Is it okay to feel this way?

As soon as you use catchwords like "identify" your speaking a language that the LGBTQ community would be 'deliriously' happy if the whole world would speak.

You're a woman Candy. You know you're a woman and you don't have to identify as one to justify your place in the world.

This is your life, your choices. Your body. Make decisions now before you lose yourself in your fiance's future. Because your future will become entangled and barely recognisable as your own

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

April 21, 2023 2:46 pm  #3

Yes, it is okay for you to want to be with a straight man, and not to want to be in a "queer/MOM."   It sounds as if you and your fiancé have an irreconcilable difference.  Better to learn that now, before you get married, than after.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 21, 2023 2:46 pm)

April 21, 2023 5:22 pm  #4

yes please, identify as straight.  It's only natural to feel the way you do.  Of course you need a straight man.  I'm guessing you want a monogamous relationship as in you have eyes only for each other.  I know I feel like that.

Would you have considered your fiancé as a boyfriend if he had disclosed his interest in having sex with men right from the start?

Personally I think it's worse than not getting what you want - being in bed with someone for whom your private parts have an 'eww' factor is quite devastating really, immediately and even more so in the long term.

April 21, 2023 10:27 pm  #5

Speaking from a place of too much experience.....leave now.

This is unbelievably difficult, at any time, but you are not married at this point. Don't do it. This is an irreconcilable difference and one day you will see how lucky you are he "came out" before the marriage.

I also find it very sad, and somewhat disturbing, that you had to put this in your post:

MissCandy wrote:

Since when did it become not ok to be a straight woman who wants a straight man? Why on earth are we asking if this is ok???? Everyone in the LGBTQ will be the first to shout out that they are free to have attractions to whomever they want.

My example. My stbx came out as "bi" after we had been together 16 years. I am straight. I had zero desire to be in a MOM. I do not find men having sex remotely attractive. I want a straight man, that is all. And my stbx pretended to be straight for 16 years.

He begged me to stay. Cried. Told me all about how much he loved me and was committed to this marriage for the long haul. What did I do.....I saw a sex therapist. Saw several therapists who focused on LGBTQ and those coming out later in life. Did a crap ton of research. It was hard....but....I worked at rebuilding an attraction, and accepting what my relationship had become. I'll be blunt, it was not easy, natural, or easy....and I very much regret it.

All of this was A-ok with him. He watched me struggle through all of this for a very long 3 years. We continued to sleep together but his treatment of me got worse and worse.

Then he sat down beside me one day and said "I'm gay, I'm divorcing you" and that was that. I had no idea it was coming. Stupidly, I actually thought we were doing better than ever. Turns out he was a very good liar.

I asked him if there was any room for discussion, compromise, and why he just blind sided me with this news. Turns out he was just using me the whole time until he was comfortable coming out. 20 years together. And the coming out as "bi" thing was just testing the waters.

Apparently it was perfectly fine for me to go through the trauma of altering my sexual preferences, but him even talking to me about his (let alone compromising or working together) was completely unacceptable. When I asked him why the marriage had to end so suddenly and abruptly. All he said is "I'm gay" and looked at me like I was crazy. Then told me he had zero attraction to me and hadn't for a long time.

Look into the "bi now, gay later" phenomenon. Run.

April 22, 2023 10:44 am  #6

Miss Candy, Run, get out, like your house is on fire! May this knowledge before getting hitched be a blessing to you 4-ever.

April 22, 2023 12:06 pm  #7

I agree, run! This person is the one setting your hair/house/life on fire.

Last edited by MJM017 (April 22, 2023 12:10 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

April 23, 2023 6:39 pm  #8

MissCandy wrote:

Read your own words out loud to yourself 10 times slowly.

Then pack if you live together or ask him to - give him back the ring and part as friends.

Wishing you peace and strength.
You can do this.
Grace

April 25, 2023 5:07 pm  #9

"I hate to say it but I don't want to be in a "queer" / mixed-orientation relationship as a straight woman. Is it okay to feel this way."

Why wouldn't this be "okay"?  You want to be with someone who feels the same way about you that you feel about them.  Additionally, you want to be with someone who is honest, and it sounds like he hasn't been.

May 26, 2023 7:15 pm  #10

MissCandy wrote:

Of course, this is OK.
My wife came out to me as a lesbian (or rather "wanting to have relationships with women"). I don't have a problem with lesbians in general, but in this specific case it means that she's cold to me, that we don't have sex, don't talk much, and that she'll be dating other people. I'm definitely not OK with all of that. And I would guess you wouldn't be either.
Maybe it's not how this is right now, but from what I hear and read on this forum, it will likely be the case in the future.

So yeah, I join the advice given above - you need to break up. And you'll find a straight man you'll be happy with in the future. You can get through this.

Board footera