OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2023 1:54 pm  #1

Long Term Acceptance

I knew my husband struggled with same-sex attraction before we got married. I just... didn't realize the extent, and how it would affect me.

Background: We are conservative Christian (aka gay=not okay). We also waited to have sex until we were married. We made out before we got married, things seemed to be okay (he was obviously attracted to me, if you know what I mean). He was always the one to stop us before we "went too far," but I thought he just had more self-control than me. He was also shamed a lot for his body when he was younger (thanks, in-laws), and is very uncomfortable with sex/bodies in general.

Well, he started turning me down for sex on our honeymoon. My whole life I was taught "suppress your sexuality now; it will be a wonderful gift for your husband one day!" Except that my husband doesn't want my sexuality. We have gradually had sex less and less often. In the early days, I'd try lingerie and fall asleep alone in the bedroom, I'd send sexy texts, only to have him get angry about it ("I was at work! What if someone saw!"), etc. 

When we do have sex, it's as vanilla as it gets. As little touching as possible. Over in a couple of minutes. I never get oral, or touched internally. When he does touch me the little bit that he does, he obviously loses his "excitement," and I have to get him re-aroused by giving him oral. I spend the entire time hyper-aware of how much he dislikes my body.

I'll admit, I've gained significant weight, but these issues started before weight gain. I honestly wonder if I subconsciously put on weight to give myself a "reason" for why he doesn't want me. 

We do have children, and I'm 26 weeks pregnant. We've had sex only a few times since I got pregnant, and it took a few months to get pregnant simply because he didn't want to have sex. He does "take care of himself" by watching weightlifting videos (big, bulky, strong men), so I know it's related to his orientation, not a medical issue or just a lack of drive.

I go through cycles of "I'm too tired from the kids anyway" to "I'm so devastated my husband doesn't want me, and I never have had a satisfying sex life, and I never will."

He's a great husband in lots of other ways, and I know he hates that he cannot fulfill me in this way. And I'm sure struggles with the fact that he will never get the sex life he wants, either. I do have compassion for him.

I just can't seem to accept that I will never, ever, be wanted the way that I have always dreamed of being wanted, you know? I will never have regular sex. I will never have someone excited to be with me. I will never get to experiment in even the most basic of ways. I'm not allowed to talk about sex or suggest sex, or send suggestive texts. I've tried telling him fantasies in case one seemed interesting to him, and his reaction was to ignore it, then get mad when I pointed it out. 

I don't know what to do. It seems to have gotten worse over the years. And we're young! I'm only 30! I don't want this to be my life!

Please don't suggest divorce; it's not an option for us. I don't know what I'm here for, just the chance that someone will understand, I guess. It's a big secret; there's no one I can talk to about this in real life, except one person, who is something of a mentor, but she is the traditional "wife never wants sex" type, so she doesn't understand the pain of such acute rejection. 

Please share how you accepted your life when it wasn't what you thought you were getting. 

April 17, 2023 2:24 pm  #2

Re: Long Term Acceptance

HurtingH14, this is exactly what I would have written 5 months ago about my relationship with my husband (except I had no idea of his feeling towards men until 4 1/2 months ago), and I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

I don’t have any advice on how to make this kind of marriage work as my husband came out as gay and took away the choice to stay together, which has been absolutely devastating, and NOT the life I EVER imagined  for myself and my three young children having grown up in a Christian family.

But I also want to take a minute to acknowledge how tough it is to go from being immersed in purity culture, to marrying a man attracted to men. It’s messed me up in ways no one can imagine (except those of us who have gone through the same), and I’m sorry you are someone who knows exactly how that affects a human being.

I hope that you can communicate well with your husband so that you can both find fulfilment in your marriage together. And I’m glad you have found this space, and hope you get the help that you need.

Last edited by straightwifeinNZ (April 17, 2023 2:28 pm)

April 17, 2023 4:07 pm  #3

straightwifeinNZ wrote:

I don’t have any advice on how to make this kind of marriage work as my husband came out as gay and took away the choice to stay together, which has been absolutely devastating, and NOT the life I EVER imagined for myself and my three young children having grown up in a Christian family.

This was my experience as well. 20 years together. I grew up in a religious household. Waited until marriage to have sex. Only person I've ever slept with. He blind sided me with his "revelation" and unilaterally made the decision to divorce. He sat down beside me and said "I'm gay, I'm divorcing you" and was then gone. No explanation. No closure. Not even a single conversation about it. Just....*poof*

As I have spent the last 7 months unravelling the lies, misogyny, gaslighting, being used....I too have struggled with the realization that I have now gone my entire life and only had sex with someone who didn't love me, wasn't attracted to me, and didn't care about my opinions or feelings. Who said to my face he couldn't wait for the divorce because he was looking forward to having a real relationship and sleeping around.

I was also taught that sex was this magical thing that happens between a husband and wife, a true act of love. Now I just feel like I was a sex toy or something. Something used, abused, and discarded.

I also don't know where to start processing, as he was so pushy when we dated about wanting sex, and couldn't get enough of it for years. Until a couple months before he dropped me like a piece of trash. During that period when I got concerned, he just flat out lied to my face, made excuses, blamed me or work, and told me I was crazy.

That has been damaging on so many levels. He knew my views on sex. He knew that I would not have willingly had sex with someone who didn't love me, and would treat me like this. But he took my consent away. He goes on about how he "didn't want to hurt me" and "couldn't talk to me"....why? "because he just couldn't". And he couldn't make the relationship work. Again, because he "just couldn't". 

I still can't wrap my head around what just happened. I'm hoping one day it will semi make sense.

April 17, 2023 4:23 pm  #4

HurtingH14 wrote:

......I don't know what to do. It seems to have gotten worse over the years. And we're young! I'm only 30! I don't want this to be my life! Please don't suggest divorce; it's not an option for us.

Please share how you accepted your life when it wasn't what you thought you were getting.. 

You need a hug. A big one. And although you say you have noone to talk to....this will eat you up inside if you don't. As far as I can see you are between a rock and a hard place but in the end it is you who has to decide what you want your life to look like. Find a counselor who will be professional and impartial but who will help you to find your way through this. You're in the right place Hurting

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

April 18, 2023 7:09 am  #5

Hurting,

A warm sincere humane, genuine hug ..with no deception or alternate motives attached.  S

I can only say the physical rejection is a form of abuse..we should be enough for spouses and we should be loved. 
I dont thing God meant for us to be a marriage where we are hurt over and over.  You should both want and work on the marriage..if not and you keep getting hurt..I don't think we are omnipotent and can take an infinite amount of hurt.

Wishing you strength and fortitude.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera