OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2023 10:30 am  #1

Seeking support about bisexual husband

I've read a lot of posts here (and on reddit) and they make me feel more sure something isn't right in my marriage.

So when I first dated my husband he was a virgin (he was in his 30s) and when we first had sex he disclosed he was "bisexual but would never do anything with men." I just wrote it off as him being transparent and didn't think much of it. He has never been super horny or passionate with me and I attributed that to performance anxiety.

However, after having a kid, sex dropped off completely and he withdrew emotionally as well. I've recently been pushing for therapy to work on communication and when I brought up more frequent sex he gave a lot of excuses. I suppose I expected that he had also been wanting more and would be happy I was being open about wanting to have more sex. So the lack of enthusiasm really made me start putting all these pieces together and wonder if he's just more attracted to men.

It's not a proud moment but it is public... I found his reddit account and he disclosed that he had to train himself to get off on real sex with me as he masturbates with a specific "bisexual" fantasy.

The confusing part is he is affectionate in daily life, but seems to have minimal to no sexual attraction to me. Is it possible that he's just romantically interested in a relationship with me but is sexually more attracted to men? I know he's not cheating or seeking out opportunities with gay men. He almost just seems fine with the status quo and was very resistant to therapy and changing things. I honestly think he'd be fine going on with an affectionate roommate style relationship with zero intimacy. If he is gay or leans more towards men I think he's very denial.

I'm really struggling as I don't think I can live like that. So... What do y'all think?

March 20, 2023 1:02 pm  #2

Re: Seeking support about bisexual husband

My comments in red. 

Welcome to our Forum Ladybug6

Ladybug61 wrote:

I've read a lot of posts here (and on reddit) and they make me feel more sure something isn't right in my marriage. Your intuition is one of your best tools in the confusion and uncertainty this twist & turn of your marriage. Always listen to it because more often than not it's trying to tell you something important.

So when I first dated my husband he was a virgin (he was in his 30s) and when we first had sex he disclosed he was "bisexual but would never do anything with men." I just wrote it off as him being transparent and didn't think much of it. He has never been super horny or passionate with me and I attributed that to performance anxiety. Ditto. A. my partner of 38 years was a virgin too when we met. I always thought it made our r'ship especially trusting and close but I can only look back now and see all the signs I may have seen if I hadn't been in love. He kept his bisexuality secret til 25 years into our time together. Up til then I thought my life was perfect.

However, after having a kid, sex dropped off completely and he withdrew emotionally as well. I've recently been pushing for therapy to work on communication and when I brought up more frequent sex he gave a lot of excuses. I suppose I expected that he had also been wanting more and would be happy I was being open about wanting to have more sex. So the lack of enthusiasm really made me start putting all these pieces together and wonder if he's just more attracted to men. Of course it's natural the you will be the one thinking and trying to fix what you see as a problem. But if your husband is anything like my partner he'll be contributing less and less communication-wise, maybe using anger, irritation or judgement to deflect your concerns?

It's not a proud moment but it is public... I found his reddit account and he disclosed that he had to train himself to get off on real sex with me as he masturbates with a specific "bisexual" fantasy. Sometimes, when our sanity and questions demand it....a little digging on a (as you say) public site is a smart moment.

The confusing part is he is affectionate in daily life, but seems to have minimal to no sexual attraction to me. Is it possible that he's just romantically interested in a relationship with me but is sexually more attracted to men? Your husband is playing the part of a heterosexual man. And yes...that is how I perceive it too. interested in me romantically but ultimately A. had a deep itch to be fucked by a man (ugh) 

I know he's not cheating or seeking out opportunities with gay men. He almost just seems fine with the status quo and was very resistant to therapy and changing things. A. was very okay with the status quo too....until my intuition kicked in and I started listening to it because it was SHOUTING AT ME "SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT HERE!" so I started asking question....that he hated me asking, and used to get really angry at my distress when he'd clam up and stay silent. 
I honestly think he'd be fine going on with an affectionate roommate style relationship with zero intimacy. Yes well...A. has had to get used to the roommate-style because 3 years ago I told him I no longer wanted to be intimate with him. I had lost the last shred of trust in him. 
If he is gay or leans more towards men I think he's very denial. It honestly doesn't matter what he is....what's important is that you surround yourself with people who care what's happening to you, who you can confide in. How many people know what you're going through?

I'm really struggling as I don't think I can live like that. Nor should you live like that! You have the Forum behind you to answer questions, give advice, listen to your concerns. 
So... What do y'all think? I think you've come to the right place 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

March 20, 2023 2:58 pm  #3

Thank you, Elle! That's very validating actually. He's always been known for a "prickly" personality but the irritation really reached a peak the last few years. One of many reasons I've pushed therapy. I tried to suggest couple's therapy and he was very opposed. If I point out how being so irritated all the time is not normal he snaps back and gets defensive that I'm painting him as a giant asshole. I feel like I have to tread very lightly with anything that could come across as critical because he will shut down.

I guess I'm also wondering how successful people have been at helping their SO accept their orientation and that they're just fundamentally unhappy in this situation too. I want to give him a chance to make changes and work on our relationship but the more I think about it the less optimistic I am.

March 20, 2023 3:43 pm  #4

Ladybug61 wrote:

. .....I guess I'm also wondering how successful people have been at helping their SO accept their orientation and that they're just fundamentally unhappy in this situation too. I want to give him a chance to make changes and work on our relationship but the more I think about it the less optimistic I am.

I don't know your husband, or his personality. I can only tell you that when a bisexual man is keeping his sexuality secret...he will do anything to protect it. Even to the point of sabotaging a marriage. I ended up focusing on me. Because I wasn't keeping a secret, I wasn't pushing back against counseling.

How many chances are you prepared to give him? And how many times will he have to disappoint you? 
Edited to say.....in my opinion the acceptance of your SOs orientation should be his priority, not yours. 

Elle

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (March 20, 2023 4:58 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

March 26, 2023 6:48 pm  #5

Ladybug61 wrote:

I've read a lot of posts here (and on reddit) and they make me feel more sure something isn't right in my marriage.

So when I first dated my husband he was a virgin (he was in his 30s) and when we first had sex he disclosed he was "bisexual but would never do anything with men." I just wrote it off as him being transparent and didn't think much of it. He has never been super horny or passionate with me and I attributed that to performance anxiety.

However, after having a kid, sex dropped off completely and he withdrew emotionally as well. I've recently been pushing for therapy to work on communication and when I brought up more frequent sex he gave a lot of excuses. I suppose I expected that he had also been wanting more and would be happy I was being open about wanting to have more sex. So the lack of enthusiasm really made me start putting all these pieces together and wonder if he's just more attracted to men.

It's not a proud moment but it is public... I found his reddit account and he disclosed that he had to train himself to get off on real sex with me as he masturbates with a specific "bisexual" fantasy.

The confusing part is he is affectionate in daily life, but seems to have minimal to no sexual attraction to me. Is it possible that he's just romantically interested in a relationship with me but is sexually more attracted to men? I know he's not cheating or seeking out opportunities with gay men. He almost just seems fine with the status quo and was very resistant to therapy and changing things. I honestly think he'd be fine going on with an affectionate roommate style relationship with zero intimacy. If he is gay or leans more towards men I think he's very denial.

I'm really struggling as I don't think I can live like that. So... What do y'all think?

Gay point of view. I don't comment much here but I think I can give you some insight as to what is going on. I think you are going to need to focus on you. It could be therapy aimed at helping you through this situation or something else but helping him accept his sexuality is a task better left to him and not you. 

Here is the thing how Gay/BI/Straight someone is, is on a range and in general(not always) attraction to one gender tends to reduce attraction to the other. I don't think many gay guys are 100% gay but calling oneself bisexual when you are 90+% attracted to men is kind of misleading. In my own case calling myself bi would be like claiming that Death Valley should be classified as a rain forest because it rained for 10 mins a decade ago.  The trouble with the word bi is that bisexual(i.e. halfway right) is an easier word to accept than gay(effeminate, sinner, that guy walking in a pride pride wearing chaps). I have known a few truly bisexual men but most guys are mostly one way or the other.  Anyway what makes a gay guy,  gay isn't just the attraction to men, but the intensity of it. As I have often said it is like comparing a dying flashlight(attraction to women) to blinding sunlight((attraction to men).

A gay guy can have romantic feelings(like being around, enjoy the person's company, love their personality) but the want to rip clothes off could be a problem. My own experience of it when I was a teenager was I liked holding hands with my girlfriend, loved being around her, did kiss her but it was more she likes it therefore I do it and doing do made me feel good. It actually took multiple gay experiences to accept the fact that I was gay and to understand what was missing in the relationship and that any potential wife deserved a guy who desired her both mentality and physically.  i.e. Wanting to hold hands because she likes it, is a lot different than wanting to get lost in his eyes,  be around, cuddle and rip his clothes off. 

Anyway here is the thing it could take a long time(if ever) for this guy to accept his sexuality. 

March 28, 2023 2:30 pm  #6

What on Earth is this "bisexual" fantasy he speaks of?  To me, it sounds like his way of trying to palatably re-name a "gay" fantasy, and that's what he truly likes from a sexual perspective.

Bisexuals are indeed a thing, but often gay-in-denial folks will choose the "bisexual" label as a way to feed their self-denial and con their way into a straight life.  You might hear the expression, "bi now, gay later".  I hate to say it, but that sort of sounds like what's happening here.

March 28, 2023 5:34 pm  #7

Ladybug,

I think you are experiencing the hurt and thus you rightly went snooping.  One of things I kept thinking to myself as I snooped was "why do I have to do this?".
What kind person makes their partner snoop.

So you suggesting and wanting couples therapy should have been a giant wake up call to him whether he's straight, gay, bi, green alien.

That he can't give you the affection you want..he sounds not straight to me.  That he post on reddit sounds like he is struggling to hide this.

I would tell him he is hurting you.  Sounds like he will get mad and defensive..and then I would ask him again why he keeps hurting you.

After being thorough this I just feel we should be enough for our spouses.. we should more than enough..their want and love for us should be fierce both emotionally and physically..they should never  hurt us in any way.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera