OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2023 2:01 pm  #131

Re: 2022 was a fucked-up year

Rob wrote:

......I urge everyone to not worry about the stuff..leave it all behind or get rid of it. A home is made of the people that are in it..not the the stuff.

Haha you sound like my oldest, homeless son. That's his philosophy on life. Sometimes I wish I could walk away with nothing 
....but

E

KIA KAHA                       

March 15, 2023 5:35 pm  #132

I organized a garage/yard sale and got him to come back to help for the two weekends it ran, then we split the proceeds equally. It was worth the work and it got rid of stuff he had not taken and did not want. 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

March 15, 2023 5:58 pm  #133

Abby wrote:

I organized a garage/yard sale and got him to come back to help for the two weekends it ran, then we split the proceeds equally. It was worth the work and it got rid of stuff he had not taken and did not want. 

Oh wow....that sounds very respectful answer for you both. So it went well?
My partner A. buys and sells things on Trademe, does it well but the other week he sold his bicycle and pocketed the cash. I should have said something but didn't and now feel I can't be bothered following it up....blah but the next week we had a $24 lotto win (woohoo!) and I purposely took the ticket, cashed it and gave him half

E

KIA KAHA                       

March 16, 2023 1:16 pm  #134

Long story short, I was left with all his stuff. It was junk so easy to toss. Have been undecided about family pictures dating back to the 1930s. They're of his paternal grandparents, father and uncles taken by a professional photographer. There are original newspaper clippings too. His last remaining uncle should have it but his family is difficult and over dramatic.  It's scary to be nice to them.

Elle, you're a fair and reasonable person. I could be wrong but think you're stbx will take your lead with property division. He is afraid to look like the bad guy perhaps?  Good luck with clearing out the stuff!

Last edited by MJM017 (March 16, 2023 2:14 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 16, 2023 2:24 pm  #135

MJM017 wrote:

.....Have been undecided about family pictures dating back to the 1930s. They're of his paternal grandparents and uncles taken by a professional photographer. There are original newspaper clippings too. His last remaining uncle should have it but his family is difficult and over dramatic. It's scary to be nice to them. 
....I could be wrong but think you're stbx will take your lead with property division. He is afraid to look like the bad guy perhaps? Good luck with clearing out the stuff!

Haha....when it's memories from another family (and a family so difficult) the decision must battle with your need to be rid of it all? I'd send them an email with a timeline. If they don't communicate/come get it by such and such you'll burn or shred it all. And keep to your word. 
Actually when I was cleaning out/sorting photos a few months ago there were letters, photos I didn't want but that I was loathe to put in the rubbish just because I hated the thought of somebody finding them, reading them aghast that anybody could throw them out. 
So I burnt them. We sat outside with a metal container, a box of matches and a pile of photos, newspaper clippings, old letters and set fire to them one by one. A memory cremation. My history, my memories, my decision.

It's weird Mj...but it does seem that he is taking my lead, which feels really weird. But he still hasn't said one single word about anything! And probably won't unless I bring it up first. So fuck'im...I'm staying silent until it's absolutely necessary.
As for the stuff...there's a game of Jenga and the blocks are in a random box so old it might be an antique (not valuable, just old-timey) And I can't make myself throw it out...lol Nobody will care if I throw it out. Just me. 
I might drop it at a day-care or kindergarten

E

KIA KAHA                       

March 16, 2023 7:42 pm  #136

Elle,

The stuff she left in my home i have declared "eminent domain" over.  I keep or throw out what I choose..its my life now and what was important to her she took.  Her jewelry, her gay sex toys she took.  Pictures of the kids she left..maybe to comfort me...hah..

I know her....her relationship to objects or people is the same.. throw them away..write them off forever.

That even an ordinary object means something to you says a lot about who you are as a person.  We love and we are loyal..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 17, 2023 9:12 am  #137

I did not get rid of any of the presents that my gay ex boyfriend gave me. We are f b friends and I have nothing against him but since I am married we do not call, etc each other. If I were some of the people here, I would shred it and burn it. I say do what is right for you.

Sam (Admin) You were asked not to post on this thread. Your position.here is tenuous at best. No more warnings, next time you will be banned for good.

Last edited by Sam (Admin) (March 17, 2023 7:29 pm)

March 20, 2023 2:11 pm  #138

Elle, I'm the one who moved out, and in the middle of the whole Covid thing I moved across the country.  By necessity I had to keep it really simple in terms of what I took and what I left.

There are a few things I've missed -- really just photo albums I somehow missed or didn't have time to go through.  But it was actually nice to have an apartment that was empty except for things I really valued!  

March 20, 2023 4:27 pm  #139

walkbymyself wrote:

Elle, I'm the one who moved out, and in the middle of the whole Covid thing I moved across the country.  By necessity I had to keep it really simple in terms of what I took and what I left.

There are a few things I've missed -- really just photo albums I somehow missed or didn't have time to go through.  But it was actually nice to have an apartment that was empty except for things I really valued!  

Talk about not doing things by halves!!! Covid lent an extra complexity for much of life! 

My plan has been to slowly (because this separation won't be a 'stamp foot/throw stuff and storm out thing) sort through stuff and set aside what I know is mine. There are no pets to fight over, our children are adults and I can't imagine A. getting aggressive about assets. 
Yeah an empty canvas sounds kinda nice but I'll be moving in with my son, his gf and their two cats so the canvas is already half-coloured in lol

E.

KIA KAHA                       

April 3, 2023 6:09 pm  #140

Elle I’ve been reading your thread and I can’t imagine the journey you’ve been through to get to this point. I was disclosed to 4 months ago and it’s been so tough navigating the seperation and custody issues. I hope things are going as smoothly as possible in this extraordinary circumstance you find yourself in. Nice to see another Kiwi in the forum and know there’s others out there going through the same/similar ♥️

Board footera