OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2023 1:46 pm  #1

Gender Dysphoria

Hi all, 
I have been married for almost 10 years and there has finally been language put to my husband's wrestling. He experiences gender dysphoria. I have spent a lot of my time researching and learning about this as it has only consumed my mind for the last year. I know he has carried so much shame and guilt with experiencing this and he doesn't necessarily even want to transition, but I am having a hard time seeing how we can make our marriage continue when this definitely shifts our relationship. We hold tight to our relationship with the Lord through all of this and have an amazing friendship, but I worry that we can't maintain or even propel a marriage that has been stagnant even before this turbulence has struck us. Has anyone experienced this?

March 18, 2023 3:39 pm  #2

Re: Gender Dysphoria

cindyb wrote:

Hi all, 
I have been married for almost 10 years
......I worry that we can't maintain or even propel a marriage that has been stagnant even before this turbulence has struck us. Has anyone experienced this?

Cindy...this board was supposed to be for only the straightspouse as she or he makes decisions about their future but the word MOM in the title has sent out the message that it's inclusive of the LGBTQ community when that certainly wasn't intended.
So not many of us post in here because the environment of a MOM board doesn't suit our narrative.

I'm glad you reached out on the Support Board

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

March 19, 2023 2:30 pm  #3

Elle,

I am the straight spouse in this marriage. I am sorry if something I said convinced you otherwise.

March 21, 2023 5:15 pm  #4

cindyb wrote:

Elle,I am the straight spouse in this marriage. I am sorry if something I said convinced you otherwise.

Cindy....yes I got that you were the straightspouse. I was simply clarifying who the board was initially meant for

E

KIA KAHA                       

March 22, 2023 1:02 pm  #5

This section here is for people who remain committed to their MOM and we who have escaped our MOMs are not supposed to post our 'negative' views here.

ie you say you are worried about your marriage.  Personally I think you have every reason to be worried and I think it is these worries you want to discuss.  But if I validate your worries it would be seen as being 'negative' when you want to maintain the marriage.

There is a twist of irony as it was Elle herself who insisted on having this section created when she first came here.  ie she understands and sympathises with how you feel in your commitment to your husband.

So if you would like to discuss your worries, feel free to do so, and really just by reading the stories here I think you can learn a lot.  Also somewhere here, maybe in resources, there is a link to an article - The Secret Sexual Basement by Dr Omar Minwalla that I think really helps give context to your feelings of concern.

wishing you all the best, Lily

Board footera