OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2023 6:39 pm  #11

Re: 2 bombshells dropped last Friday

He is definitely going to AA meetings.  Our family member who is an alcoholic drove up and took him to his first one, and gave him his own 24 hour sober chip, which now he carries with his own. He showed me his book, and the pamphlet with handwritten first names and phone numbers that he can call... and he's called the organizer of the first meeting when he got back from his second meeting Sunday night.

We talked a little bit last night after his meeting and before he had to call his brother (they're very close.) Our church was seeking a new pastor (our old one was elected bishop.) My husband, along with his day job, holds a part-time position with the church. Our interim pastor was a transgender man...they had interned with us before for 2 years. My husband told our interim in October when our interim pastor gave their coming out sermon on the Sunday close to National Coming Out Day that he thought he was bisexual. He also told our daughter, who is away at college. She is straight but lives with a lesbian roommate (she's a great friend and the two of them have know each other forever.) My husband tried to go to our LGBTQIA center for advice before telling me, but the session was canceled so he couldn't get help.

I've researched the center...apparently the need is so great that they're not taking applicants for individual counseling. The group sessions are just for LGBTQ people and not for family and friends.  They are open to suggestions for other groups, so I'm going to email them and see if they can start a group for family and friends. It's a great center - I'm so glad they started it.

When I told my husband that I had joined the online support group he was really pleased. I think communication between the two of us is already getting better.

I looked into AlAnon groups...most meet when I am working or are only on Zoom, but there are a couple that I can go to.

He called his best friend this morning before work...I know he told him about his alcoholism but I don't know what else they talked about - I wanted to give them their privacy (the best friend is happily married as well.)

Last edited by Gin Bombay (March 8, 2023 12:31 pm)

Board footera