OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2023 9:18 am  #1

How to accept this new life?

I have been in a great relationship with my partner over 4 years. We always try to overcome any problem together in a healthy way. However things turned out differently when he confessed me that he may turn out as a trans woman, he thinks I feel gross with the idea and it has been difficult to talk about it without judgment or hurting each other feelings. I’m sure I’m not transphobic but the idea of marrying a man that may turn into a woman scares me a little since I never think of myself as a lesbian. I do want to support him in everything he needs, he needs to have someone who supports him I can tell by the way he thanks me when I show him a little of acceptance, when I see he feels happy and excited with the idea or wearing a dress, my hearth melts because I want make him happier, I think he deserves all the happiness of the world. However every time we talk about that, I feel terrible I’m afraid and cannot stop thinking that I don’t want him to be a woman. I feel selfish and cannot tell him that. I’m sure I love this person with all my hearth. I don’t want to give up on him and leaving is not an option, he has told me he can commit to not change if I leave, I don’t want to him be miserable by my fault, but I’m not sure if I’ll keep attracted by this new person. I’m terrified with the idea of not loving this woman as much as I love this man. Sometimes I feel dump thinking that because he will be still the same person just with more joy and acceptance of himself about who he is. I’m just looking for some advice about how not feel terrible or how to explain him that I feel this way without hurting his feelings.
I still refer to him as a man as he has not decided yet about going out in public but I would respect that when he decides so.

February 12, 2023 9:42 am  #2

Re: How to accept this new life?

I’d recommend couples therapy and individual therapy for yourself. You need to figure out what this means for you guys as a couple and yourself as an individual. When I found myself in this same situation I kept telling myself I needed to stay because he deserves support and happiness but my therapist helped me come to the realization that I’d be staying for him, not for me. Which is true. I really couldn’t and can’t see myself being happy with him as a woman. Forcing myself to be a lesbian wouldnt be fair to me and I’d be very unhappy in that relationship. I would be staying out of feeling obligated for him and our child.

But please note my soon to be ex spouse turned into a jerk in this whole thing so that contributed A LOT to me leaving but deep down could I be happy with a woman? Probably not.

You can still be supportive if you’re not together. But it’s so hard because I feel like we’re in an age where if you don’t stay together with unwavering support you’re viewed as transphobic. But not everyone’s sexuality is that fluid. It’s tough and isolating. Good luck!

Last edited by cookie (February 12, 2023 10:03 am)

February 12, 2023 12:35 pm  #3

You appear to be very accepting and supportive of your partner totally flipping your life upside-down and changing it forever. Always remember the way you felt the first time this issue raised it's head because those were your true feelings. Since then you've had the confused thoughts that it's your responsibility to love and carry him through this because you love him, all the while keeping your true feelings hidden because you don't want to lose him.
Put your own survival ahead of your partner's because his desire to be like a  woman will overtake his need to respect your thoughts and opinion about not wanting to be with one.

You need to talk to someone about this. Not your partner... Somebody who will keep your confidence

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 12, 2023 1:43 pm  #4

You say that every time you play along with him, he feels "happy" but you feel "terrible." You say "leaving is not an option."  You know your own situation best, so I won't say leave, but I will tell you that you should not marry this man.  A man who is in the process of considering transition is a person who is too self-involved to be a good partner.  He will go through a lot of experimentation, act in selfish and self-centered ways, and you will be hurt, repeatedly.  

February 12, 2023 3:09 pm  #5

You love him and want him to be happy. That’s the way it should be. Also, you deserve to be loved and happy. One of the hard parts in situations like these is that our needs are opposed. He can’t be happy unless he transitions in some way (I assume). You can’t be happy married to a trans woman. Both of those things are valid.

You can’t sacrifice yourselves for the other like that. It’s doesn’t work. That isn’t love. It would be motivated by love but there’s a difference.

Last edited by HereInMpls2717 (February 20, 2023 3:09 pm)

February 20, 2023 12:22 pm  #6

I'm going to attempt to unscramble a few things that you mentioned in your post.

Why should you throw yourself at this person this way when (a) you don't want to be married to a trans woman and (b) you don't see yourself in a lesbian relationship?  You're straight, and that's OK!  When you went out on your first date, were you seeking a straight man or a closeted trans woman?  If the answer is "straight man", you should plan a respectful exit from this relationship.  If the answer is "closeted trans woman", you should...well, I'm guessing that wouldn't have been your answer, right?  There is no way you would seek to start off a relationship with someone whom you found fundamentally unattractive (i.e., a woman) or would require to reinvent yourself as a lesbian.

Why on Earth should you feel "selfish"?  Where is this person's concern about YOU in all of this because I'm hearing nothing about how this person is concerned about YOU having to reimagine yourself as a lesbian or accept being married to a woman?  I only know you from your post, but what you have described is a dangerously one-sided relationship rather than a "selfish" one.

I highly suggest that you consider finding a personal therapist for you to help yourself work through this.  Keep posting, and I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

As for the question in your post: "How to accept this new life?"  Why should you?

Last edited by Blue Bear (February 20, 2023 5:45 pm)

February 22, 2023 3:20 pm  #7

When I read your post it sounds more like a parent talking about a child, than a wife talking about a husband.  You sound like you're deeply focused on minimizing his pain, but that's not what a marriage should be.  

If he wants to transition, you can be his best friend.  But, I don't see the building blocks of a marriage.  I see a child and an adult.

I'm sorry if I've overstepped.  Breaking up is hard, but trust me -- divorce is exponentially harder.

February 22, 2023 4:42 pm  #8

How to accept this new life?  in a sense it's a question we are all facing.  

It's DARVO on steroids.  

Sweetie, as I understand it you are contemplating marriage and your boyfriend has confessed to wanting to transition to a woman.

Much as I would like to think that it should be relatively simple for you both to transition into a friendship, it isn't is it.

The damage is done - you have fallen in love.  He has wooed you and fundamentally cheated on you by not being open with you in the first place.  And he is still turning the tables, making you feel guilty for not being more supportive of him instead of how a friend would be - apologetic for messing with your heart.  

Maybe he has a lot of charm but he is a user not a friend to you.  Try saying no to him and see how he responds.  

February 28, 2023 9:42 am  #9

Sweetie, it has been a few weeks since you posted. How are you doing?

I want to address a couple of things in your post, but first.... full disclosure. My ex has transitioned. My ex first mentioned cross-dressing while we were dating, but described it as something he used to do and hadn't done it for a very long time. To me "a long time" meant years. To him, it meant days.

First of all, you mention that you are not transphobic but the idea of marrying a man who may become a woman is a little scary. These 2 things are not intertwined, so don't lump them together. You can be fully supportive of a person's desire to transition without wanting to be in a life long love relationship with that person. Not wanting to marry a man who may one day become a woman doesn't make you transphobic. It makes you heterosexual. 

But that leads to another point.... you say "may" turn out to be a trans woman. These things happen incrementally. They always say they just want to cross dress at home, then it is gender neutral clothing in public, then full out cross-dressing in public, then hormones, etc. The entire time they will tell you they don't want to fully transition though. Don't believe it. I'm not saying your guy is being dishonest with you. I am saying his desires will grow stronger and stronger and eventually he will want to transition to the extent that his (and maybe your) bank account will allow.

You say he deserves all the happiness in the world. Well, and I say this as respectfully as possible, are you the right person for him? Look, I loved my ex, but not after she transitioned. The most loving thing I could do for BOTH of us was end the 20+ year marriage. I felt we both deserved someone we could love wholeheartedly and someone who could return that love. If you continue in this relationship, can you love your wife with your whole heart? If she deserves every happiness, doesn't she deserve someone who can?

Finally, and most importantly, what about YOU? Don't you deserve someone you can love? Someone you can be all in with? Someone who loves you and puts you first? You sound a lot like I used to be. I always put my husband and kids needs and desires above my own, and the thought was that my husband had my back. He was the one making me a priority - only he wasn't. I was making him my priority and he was also making him his priority. Nobody was making me a priority, and it took its toll on me. Everntually, my self-esteem and my health plummeted. I was just a shell of the vibrant, adventurous, and fiercely independent woman I was. I was depressed, needy, and desperate to do whatever I had to do to make my husband love and desire me. 

I am now divorced, and it hasn't been an easy road. I gave up my career to raise and homeschool our children, so money is always tight. I am working hard (2 jobs and looking for a 3rd) to put my kids through college. I haven't dated since my divorce, but that is okay. The thought of dating terrifies me. The hole I had to dig myself out of took every ounce of strength I had and left me broken and bruised and terrified of being thrown back down there again. I am healing though and when the time comes, I will return to therapy to learn to deal with the trust issues I was left with after being lied to for 25 years. My youngest is a junior in college, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I tell the kids I am going to sell everything and buy a little RV and hit the road - just me and the dog. Or maybe I will move to Hawaii for a couple of years or maybe take that around the world cruise I've been dreaming of. Who knows. But whatever I do, it will be what I want to do. However, I also want to say, that no matter how difficult my life can be now, it is light years better than it would have been if I had stayed. I really hate to think about what would have happened to me if I had stayed.

I wish you all the best, and stay strong.

Board footera