OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2022 1:33 pm  #11

Re: My husband is Gay in Denial and I'm So Confused

ImSoConfused wrote:

...My son already has a terrible relationship with his dad because he only gives him breadcrumbs of attention. He ADORES his dad and feels such rejection. I don't want him to experience further rejection. I can see my husband withdrawing more if he is embarrassed they know....

I'm not sure of you're son's age but if you know he feels rejection wouldn't bring able to tell him, age-appropriately, the reason why give him a better understanding?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

December 27, 2022 4:42 pm  #12

This is discussed here a lot.

Regardless of what you tell the kids I strongly recommend the kids know they will be ok..they just want a mom and a dad. They want to know how things will affect them..

I dont think we can ever compensate or make up for the relationship our kids have with our spouses ..I cannot control what my GX does anymore than the tides or moon.

In the end what I can do and has helped my kids tremendously is I offer them a radically consistent and stable dad. They know without question I will do anything for them.. they get empathy and support of stoic-ly consistent levels..so they know they are ok.

In time, I saw my one kid help another kid and the kids mom who was going through a divorce..it made me proud of him that he could offer some glimpse and hope that they would be ok.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 27, 2022 7:11 pm  #13

I have three children (younger children). I am at the beginning of getting a divorce. My GID husband and I plan to co-parent in the same home. He moved to our basement guest room over three years ago, and our kids see it as our norm to sleep in different spaces. We have no plans to discuss the details of why we are getting a divorce. The reason is Mom and Dad are no longer able to live as a husband and wife but we still love our family unit. I have no plans to tell my children that their Father is Gay. Kids are wiser than we think. They will eventually figure it out or he'll need to tell them. I would insist that he tell my children if he was not in denial and my children were older.

December 27, 2022 10:15 pm  #14

I divorced my closeted ex four years ago.  I did not tell our son, then in his late 20s, the real reason for our divorce, and I have regretted it ever since.  Honesty is important.  If our spouses had been honest with us and with themselves we would not find ourselves in the straits we do.  

December 28, 2022 9:52 am  #15

Confused, you nailed it when you say "I fear not being honest will result in them being angry with ME when they are older."  You've been put in a no-win situation, and you're looking at the least bad option.

You don't say what their ages are -- only that the oldest already knows.  There's a big problem in a family where people keep secrets from one another; it takes a lot of lying and effort to keep a single lie alive.  It's not just that you'd have to explain why you were lying all this time ... you'd also have to explain why you told the eldest but not the next eldest.

When I was 12 and my sister was 14, we had a very close family friend who had developed cancer.  My parents told my sister, but not me.  Eventually my sister and I got into a huge blowout fight and she threw the shocking news in my face.  Many years later, after both of us had moved out of the house, my parents had to put my cat to sleep.  I found out because I attended my sister's baby shower, and her best friend took me aside and told me she was so very sorry to hear about the cat.  

I point this out because lying is never going to be as easy as it seems when you're thinking it's a simple way out of a difficult conversation.  Finding out your family is all a big lie is hard enough, but kids should at least have ONE parent who told the truth.

December 28, 2022 6:38 pm  #16

ImSoConfused wrote:

For those of you whose spouse is in denial... What did you tell the kids about the reason for divorce. I fear not being honest will result 8n them being angry with ME when they are older. I certainly don't want to say, hey remember Bob who lived across the street and who we had over for 1047639 meals? Daddy banged him for 2 years.

This assumes the gay narcissist party is willing and able to admit the truth. For me, mine told my kids she is gay and thats why we are divorcing. She left out the part about her online profile that searches exclusively for men, the affair, or anything else.What I have learned is, narcissists can never be accountable. She chooses to tell people she is gay because that is what gets her sympathy, vs. what she initially told a co-worker, "just because" She was "shocked" she did not get much sympathy, so the story changed. I have zero doubt she hooks up with women, but she is bi at best, because gay women do not need condoms....

I know my kids have to learn the truth, but feel it cant come from me. My oldest asked me and I simply asked her "how would you feel if what mom told you isnt accurate?" She is it isnt? I said you'll have to learn that on your own, my job isnt to put you against your mom, its to be here for you whenever you need me and protect you as much as possible. Ultimately, it will come out and she will have destroyed the marriage, her relationship with her kids and likely her career with the trash she hangs out with these days. By trash I do not mean gay, I mean, trashy people...

I can not tell you what to do, but this has been my approach. Kids see more than we think they do and are far smarter than we credit them with.

Last edited by Blackie563 (December 28, 2022 6:41 pm)

December 29, 2022 11:12 am  #17

My children are 16 (girl) (turning 17 next week), 14 (boy), and 12 (girl).
My oldest found out on her own. In fact, she suspected before I did. How stupid am I?
When she initially confronted me about an affair, I didn't believe her. Fast forward 6 months and I found the texts. We were driving 9 hours on a family vacation (without him, of course, be cause he never came on them) and I was trying t to be stoic and not cry in the car. But I guess something about me gave it off and she looked at her boyfriend and said, my dad cheated on my mom. I know it.
When we got down to the beach she confronted me about it and I told her I wasn't ready to talk. So she called my husband and confronted him. He was driving and kept trying to calm her down. When she asked me I felt that it was important to be honest and said yes. This did happen. When she asked who it was I told her it was not my story to tell. She called her father and immediately said the man's name. Her father pulled over on the side of the road and vomited. And so she knew.
She is adamant that the younger two do not need to know. She said my son will never speak to you his father again. And I don't think that comes from homophobia. He actually has a few gay friends. It's just the lies in addition to the other rejection he's felt from him. I do believe my 12-year-old is too young to process this.
In addition to it, my husband does not believe he is gay. So he would be unwilling to admit that that's what was going on.
On top of that the person he had an affair with was an employee and he is a very prominent person in the community. It would be in the papers and it would be awful. I don't want my children to know because I don't want them to have to withstand the public scrutiny of it.  The news would be way too salacious and it would be on every headline for weeks.
My oldest told me the other day that at the end of the day it doesn't really matter who it was with. It matters that it happened. And that he betrayed me. I'm not trying to get her to navigate this ship but I am trying to listen to what she thinks. I've told her that I'm worried that people will be mad at me for not disclosing everything. And we sort of workshopped what we could maybe say.
I think that if I can tell them that Daddy had an affair. And that Mom and Daddy still love each other very much and we plan to co-parent and we plan to be very involved in each other's lives. And if they try to ask who it was with say, one of us will answer that at some point so do not think that we are not open to talking with you about it, but now is not the time for that conversation. Know that you can talk with me about it at some point and that the door is open but now is really not the time for that.
I read in one of the books that kids who find out that parent is gay tend to become very promiscuous trying to prove that they are not gay. And that they have rather unsatisfactory liaison's with the other teenagers and so because they are unsatisfactory they conclude that they must be gay. They didn't enjoy it, so it must not be the right thing for them. And it becomes a very confusing thing. I'd like for them to get through this time of adolescence where they can figure out who they are without the pressures of having this weigh in.
Does anybody agree?

December 29, 2022 11:52 am  #18

ImSoConfused wrote:

....I'd like for them to get through this time of adolescence where they can figure out who they are without the pressures of having this weigh in.
Does anybody agree?

At the end of the day you are their mother, you know your children. My opinion is only that....mine

Communication will be the key to this 🙂
and your children knowing you're there for them

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

December 29, 2022 1:33 pm  #19

"I read in one of the books that kids who find out that parent is gay tend to become very promiscuous trying to prove that they are not gay. And that they have rather unsatisfactory liaison's with the other teenagers and so because they are unsatisfactory they conclude that they must be gay. They didn't enjoy it, so it must not be the right thing for them. And it becomes a very confusing thing.I read in one of the books that kids who find out that parent is gay tend to become very promiscuous trying to prove that they are not gay. And that they have rather unsatisfactory liaison's with the other teenagers and so because they are unsatisfactory they conclude that they must be gay. They didn't enjoy it, so it must not be the right thing for them. And it becomes a very confusing thing."

I really don't think this is true.  I mean, it's true that you read it ... but I've really seen nothing to support it, as far as kids I've seen going through this in real life.

As Ellexoh says, my opinion is only mine, and only based on my experience with my daughter.  I was pretty concerned at the time, that my daughter knew and was keeping it secret from me.

December 29, 2022 7:48 pm  #20

I think your daughter is exceptionally wise for her years. She is right in that what happened is more important than who it was with. Try to ensure she doesn't attempt to carry too heavy a load in all this, and be proud of her.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

Board footera