OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2022 4:56 pm  #11

Re: I hate my ex

I still hate my ex. 

I still have to coparent with her and she is dedicated to making me miserable in small ways because she feels it is her right to do so.

Rebuilding my life is slow and goes in spurts.  My ex poisoned and shattered 20 years worth of my life.  So even now, after four long painful years, I’m barely keeping my head above water. 

She always lets me know every single way that I have failed her or been a bad parent according to her definition.  What a crock of shit.

July 20, 2022 6:38 pm  #12

So recently, I had my daughter for my parental custody time.  During my visit, when I took my daughter on a quick weekend trip, I learned that my ex had been tracking my daughter’s phone.  Essentially, my ex had been tracking me and my daughter all summer.

So I turned off the tracking.  I never agreed to such measures - and I doubt that any court would say she has the right to surreptitiously track me and my daughter during my parental custody time.

Nevertheless, I heard from my ex in no uncertain terms that she felt that i was completely in the wrong to turn off the tracker in this way and that I should have sought permission for the weekend trip in the first place.

This is how things have always been.  This is what it has been like dealing with my ex.  She goes waaaay over the line and then attacks me when I push back.

July 21, 2022 2:55 pm  #13

I call my ex the gift that keeps giving.  

I wish I had something useful to say but I don't.  Just a lot of sympathy.  How horrible to find out she had been tracking you.  My ex has been telling people I'm a lesbian - we have nothing to do with each other, he just enjoys doing what he can to hurt me.

July 22, 2022 7:57 am  #14

Victo,

Wanted to reply again as I have an ex.

Definitely you are in the right to turn off the tracker for you. What part of the word divorced doesn't she understand?  She forfeited all rights to track you..this you know.  Tracking your kid maybe she has a right but it should not be any secret if you take your kid for a vacation on your time.

It sounds like she needs to learn ..it took some time for my ex.   For example
..text about the kids..I give her a reasonably timed reply.  Text/crazy rant about what she expects from me..crickets.

Divorced/separated I feel we are all like James Delaney from the TV series "taboo".   We need to keep our enemies close ..we need to know them well.. we need to have some use for them..ie to help with the kids. Because we and our kids will always have them around...

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 3, 2022 2:54 pm  #15

Today is my daughter’s 13th birthday.  I collected three gifts for her and due to some construction work going on, I was not able to access any giftwrap.  But I didn’t want to wait to individually wrap the gifts in case the package wouldn’t get to my daughter on time, soo I put them into a sealed box and sent the box, addressing it only to my daughter.

The box arrived several days ahead of schedule and I was relieved that she would have them on her birthday. 

I called her this morning to watch her open the box via FaceTime, but the three gifts were in bags.  Apparently, my ex opened the box and took the gifts and put them into bags and then handed the bags to my daughter.

Now I’m on FT with my daughter and my ex and her lover are all listening in and I expressed natural shock that my ex had opened the box.  Internally, I was thinking  WTFUCKINGF?!?!  Externally, I said simply ‘that is not okay.’

And my poor daughter recognized immediately that this was yet another sore spot and simply looked to her mom hovering off camera.  And her mom had the gall to say that she opened the box expecting the gifts to be wrapped and made this about my bad parenting because “Who doesn’t wrap gifts for their daughter?!”

It is yet another example of my ex gleefully overstepping all normal boundaries and selling it as innocent and then making it about how I’m somehow a bad parent and a bad co-parent.

What part of a sealed box addressed to my daughter does she think is not wrapped?!? 

It is maddening how controlling my ex is toward me and toward my relationship with my daughter. 

I’ve been incredibly depressed all day.

September 6, 2022 2:41 pm  #16

Victo

Your ex is starting to take the cake of the narcissist exs we have.  Feel for you..

If anything she is consistent and you know she will always suck.

I guess I would have tried to hide the fact I was upset and had it out with her later.   What I usually do is judge what is worth losing my peace over with my GX.

Just keep at it with your kids..be consistent and steadfast. As they get older they will realize the things their mother does.. I think mine have realized by now what I am all about..when they need someone to listen they don't call their mother..that I know.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 6, 2022 6:52 pm  #17

Thank you, Rob.  You always have soothing words.

For years, my ex would say that I was obviously a bad parent because I was never the one to schedule a babysitter.  That was her reasoning.

What she never mentioned and failed to take into account was that if leaving my daughter in the hands of a babysitter was the only option, I simply stayed home with my daughter.  For years.

My x would just pawn off our daughter to almost anyone she could find if it meant making appearances somewhere.  And me?  I’d stay home and take care of our daughter if it meant not having to hire a random babysitter.

And that is why her continuing to find ways to control my relationship with my daughter is soo depressing.

My x’s self justified narcissism knows no boundaries.

October 1, 2022 10:23 am  #18

Sam (Admin) wrote:

Victo wrote:

I wish I could say that I was a perfect husband. I wasn’t. I certainly started out being genuinely loving and forgiving and understanding but after being gaslit and manipulated for 15 years, I began to mirror my ex in her behavior.

And that’s just it. She literally took everything from me. My family, my career, and my sense of my own character.

I rarely post anymore about my own situation as I divorced 20 years ago and remarried 8 years ago. However, that does bring back memories. I spent 15 years of a 20 year marriage trying to be a "good husband" and always failing in my X's opinion. She did her best to isolate me and my kids from my family. She was constantly trying to get me to change careers because she resented that I actually liked my career and was good at it. She actually resented that I got pleasure out of anything and figuratively tried to suck all the joy out of my life. She wanted me to be whatever I was not. I actually tried for a while hoping she would be happy but she never was. For the last 5 years I turned off. I was dad to my kids and breadwinner for her and aside from that retreated into a shell. When she came out, part of me was actually relieved. I realized I had a "get out of jail free" card. Part co-dependent.... faced with an unknown future and afraid. Turns out I was able to learn to be happy and enjoy life again, although it took a while. 

I can relate to that so much... the idea that me enjoying my life, my career, my family, was somewhow always annoying to her... I was never able to put my head around it. But it all made sense. When someone hates herself, even in denial, they can't understand how other people can enjoy their own life.

Board footera