OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2022 2:33 pm  #1

Straight spouse groups

I have been a member of mixed orientation groups off and on since 2007. In the past there was a social group for straight spouses, I don't believe it exists anymore. I am just gathering information to find out if there is interest in such a group. The group could discuss anything dealing with mixed orientation marriage, but also any other topics... So for that reason it would not be billed a support group per se, but of course support could be an element. It would mainly be an online group, however as in the past group some people might choose to meet. I am new here and am just wondering if there is interest for a group such as this? I would welcome feedback.
Thank you, Kat

September 20, 2022 4:15 pm  #2

Re: Straight spouse groups

Hi. I am very new to this situation and am not sure where I or our marriage will end up but I might be interested.

September 20, 2022 4:59 pm  #3

This is a group for straight spouses (It was formerly known as the Straight Spouses Network). This discussion forum is only for the straight spouses to talk, get support, and vent as needed. There is a section for MOM but it is for the straight person in the relationship. There is the odd post from the non-straight spouse, but it is kept limited. 

Not sure if this is what you are looking for? Or if you have something else in mind?

September 20, 2022 6:35 pm  #4

Reply about straight spouse groups:

What I'm talking about wouldn't take a place like this group, which is definitely a support group.

It would be a group primarily for socializing, so discussions or rather conversations would take the form of any topic. They would not necessarily be about our marriages, but could be.

The primary focus is socializing not support, although that could very well happen.

Kat

September 21, 2022 7:55 am  #5

I get what you're saying now. Basically somewhere people can go to meet new friends/people who have similar backgrounds. That could be fun. I will say, meeting new people when you're an adult is actually quite challenging. 

September 21, 2022 10:05 am  #6

Willing to cooperate

September 21, 2022 11:30 am  #7

I think that I read that a group of straight spouses used to go to Florida for a get-together. Must have been at least 10 years ago.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

September 21, 2022 11:56 am  #8

Abby wrote:

I think that I read that a group of straight spouses used to go to Florida for a get-together. Must have been at least 10 years ago.

Up till the pandemic there were several yearly gatherings, one in Florida was quite big. Also Chicago, and occasionally other places. Now that things seem to be clearing up, I'm sure some will start again. Best way to find out is to register at Our Path and join one of the FB groups.

Board footera