OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2022 9:16 am  #11

Re: Isn’t it now my story too?

I am so sorry you are in this situation. My situation is similar. I agree with what has been said.  This is absolutely your story as well. You have a story and a truth that is just as important.  You said that you two are going to a therapist next week.  That can be helpful if the therapist is experienced in these situations and can help you two talk about difficult topics.  Notice if there is space for you to share your hurt, pain, and confusion in the session.  Your feelings are valid!  Your questions are important.  I would recommend seeing a therapist on your own as well.  There is a lot for you to process.   He has said what he wants. It is OK to ask yourself what you need and want.  Also, NONE of this is your fault. 

August 27, 2022 10:22 am  #12

"He has known since 7th grade."  Meaning: he married you under false pretenses because doing so enabled him to have a heterosexual life as a husband (!) and father.  What you might have wanted never came into his decision.  You and what you wanted were not important to him.  Through the roof entitlement even 25 years ago.  World class rationalization in service to his narcissism. 

And now, after 25 years, the secret he kept from you got to be too much for him to bear, so he decided to unload it onto you.  Apparently he thinks that enough time has passed that knowing the truth at this stage of your life won't matter to you or upset the apple cart of your serving as his beard in this fake marriage you're in.  That he can even contemplate the belief, let alone believe, that you would be fine living for the rest of your life as his beard for the dubious security of not being alone and being "grandparents together" says he is still the same deluded, entitled narcissist he was when he married you under false pretenses that served his interests but discounted yours.  

If you divorce him, you won't be alone.  You'll have your children, your friends, and any grandchildren your children might produce.  You don't need him in order to be a grandparent, and I would think being a grandparent "together" with him while living in his closet and as his beard would be infinitely more difficult and painful than being a honest, loving, open grandparent on your own.  I will venture to say that he has pulled this inducement out of his hat because he believes it will best appeal to you.  In other words, it's a tactic that he believes gives him his best shot at continuing the status quo.  Harsh on my part?  Maybe, but you can't expect sincerity and honesty out of a man who has been willing to lie to you for his own benefit for the past 25 years. 

After disclosure one of the difficult mental tasks for us is to stop seeing our spouses as the honest brokers we have believed them to be for the years we were married to them, and to recast our understanding of what we can expect of them now that we know they were lying to us for the years before and during our marriage.  And that is true whether we have sympathy for their struggle or not; the reality is that they made the decision to lie and hide, and to excuse this decision, to justify it to themselves, an entire set of mental contortions and rationalizations on their part follows. 

Also: a word of warning.  The therapist you are seeing as a couple may support your husband in his demand that you not "out" him.  This is why you need a therapist of your own, to support you, and only you, as you decide what is best for you, not one who will counsel you in ways that would allow this sham of a marriage to continue.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (August 27, 2022 10:47 am)

August 27, 2022 11:10 am  #13

Well said, OOHC.

His primary relationship was not with you.  It never was.  His primary relationship has always been with his secret.  You were mostly a convenient way for him to keep his secret, until his secret became too much to bear.  Now that you know his secret is more important than you, he wants to continue using you like before.  But he wants you trapped in his secret with him - as though you can take the burden of his secret from him and he can now be free to start to explore his own desires. 

Is that what YOU want?

August 27, 2022 12:35 pm  #14

Devastated,

I echo oohc's post above.

It's very hard to keep their secret..it will knaw at you, permeate everything. It's what I call the horribleness of TGT..
.ie if they meet a friend to go shopping is it two friends getting together or a date?  Why should you have to wonder?

They seem oblivious to the anxiety and trauma and distrust  they've caused..that also adds to the hurt and trauma.

You have to tell someone..friend, family, a personal therapist (not a joint one)..  build your support system.    Because he is not supporting you anymore..but is rather causing the trauma.  Only in his mind does he think he's supporting you..in real reality he is hurting you.

At some point I realized asking/getting my GXs permission for anything was forfeited by her when she kept this secret.  These spouses are not God's, demigods or Supreme  beings that we have to obey..  we would if they weren't hurting us..

Wishing you strength and courage.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 29, 2022 10:07 am  #15

I have a couple of observations. 

First, you say you keep replaying the conversation in your head.  You should know this is something we all experienced, because it's a symptom of trauma.  If you find yourself in couples therapy with a therapist who doesn't know this ... get out.  What you are experiencing is endless re-living of that trauma.  Your flashbacks are what combat veterans experience.  

Next: you are not "outing" a terrified teenager.  You are "outing" an abuser.  There's no shortage of people who will lambast you for "outing" someone, as if you're the criminal.  You're not.  You get to tell the story of your own life.  Keeping a secret forces you into an isolation that was never your choice.  He has his own reasons for making sure your support network isn't there for you: he doesn't want them showing you a way out.  Forcing this secret on you is for his protection, to your detriment.

I have all the empathy in the world for gay people who are afraid of losing the love of their parents and their communities.  But, nobody forced you to drag an innocent spouse into this hell.  It's the kind of thing you think long and hard about BEFORE you marry someone who thinks you're straight.

He is not similarly broken right now: he's known of this secret forever, and he's had time to prepare emotionally.  You're stumbling around in the muddle of this ambush, but he's not.  

August 29, 2022 2:59 pm  #16

Nauseous and devastated wrote:

My husband of 23 years told me he is gay almost three weeks ago. Like so many of you, my entire world imploded with that one sentence. I am devastated and terrified and in complete shock. I had no idea whatsoever.

I am so sorry to hear this. I am 3 weeks in of my wife of 19 years (23 together) telling me something similar. Your pain is raw and not much different than I felt/feel. Be prepared for cycles, extreme sadness, anger, rage, resentment, back again. Its ok. You're a human being who has been hurt badly. If it helps, I have not missed the gym 1 days since finding out. I looked ok prior, but now I am ripped (not a bad thing especially since I think I am headed for a divorce) but its helps mentally. Find a way to eat something heathy and keep moving, 1 step at a time, 1 day at a time.

Some days are better than others. I am happy to listen, we have many similarities. My kids dont know yet either, only because she hasnt said she is a lesbian, but trying to figure out if she is or is just bi. Either way, I dont trust anything she says, not because I think she is lying to me, but because she is lying to herself. 

Hang in there. Let me know if you'd like to talk. 

September 16, 2022 4:04 pm  #17

N& D—Yes, yes, yes, your truth about your experience with your husband is YOUR truth. Did you know that impersonating a police officer is a crime? Because why—because of the abuse of the public’s TRUST that that officer is there to protect us, not put us at risk. Within a marriage, I would argue that impersonating a hetero husband SHOULD be a crime because of the level of abuse of the straight spouses trust and all the ways we are put at risk during and upon discovery of the truth, your truth included. Don’t be afraid to speak your truth, out of love for yourself most of all.  When I read your line—“One thing he has repeatedly said, however, is that, aside from me, he doesn’t think his sexuality is anyone else’s business.” —that gave me  the chills because my ex said exactly the same thing. Until I got out fully, meaning until a two year separation and then a divorce was OVER, all I said to others was “he betray me and it doesn’t matter how.” But everyone assumed he’d had an affair. Plus he told everyone he “wanted to stay married” and nothing else. Only years later, and with the help of other loving , caring people here, as well as learning from podcasts of Dr Omar Minwalla, about the “domestic abuse” that this IS, did I speak MY full truth to our sons and my family members. I did it for me and my own healing.  I’ve read all the responses to your post—there is so much wisdom here that comes from our experience, strength and hope. I’ll be holding you in my thoughts and heart as you take this bomb blast and it’s aftermath one day, one step at a time. You will not be judged here so keep posting. XXOO

September 17, 2022 6:20 pm  #18

Dear N&D,

It's your story and your life.   You are not his servant, his property, or a little bit less equal to him that he can choose how he wants you to act.

I think there's more to this than just an admission.    It makes no sense to tell you out of the blue.  Either there's been infidelity or this is a placeholder in case he plans to prowl around for it.   

Am really sorry he's not an upstanding husband or good friend to you. You deserve a lot more out of a spouse than this.

Last edited by MJM017 (September 17, 2022 6:21 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 18, 2022 6:33 am  #19

Toward the light: Yes, this "my sexuality is my business" is just more gaslighting.  When it came to the question of telling our son, my now-ex said "Some things are private."  But there's a difference between what is "private" and what is a "secret."  Keeping a secret means that you are hiding information because you do not wish to experience the consequences of the actions you wish to conceal..  Wanting privacy means you don't wish to be observed, but you have nothing to hide.  

September 19, 2022 5:30 pm  #20

My ex-wife started her lesbian affair 4.5 years ago.  It's been quite the journey since then, but I have developed a good perspective.

These marriages are abusive.  (Look up the definition of "abuse" if you question this.). The abuser has no right to control his/her victim's messaging about What Happened.  If you want to tell the world he's gay, that's your absolute, 100%, inalienable right.

Sometimes, the in-denial partner will try to convince their straight partner that they are maliciously outing them, which is dead wrong.  Maliciously outing someone is revealing someone's sexual orientation against their wishes for the purpose of inflicting harm, shame, or other adverse consequences.  That's not your intent here -- you are simply sharing your story, and if your spouse didn't want to be "outed", perhaps he shouldn't have entered into the pretext of a fraudulent marriage.

Board footera